Thailand tourism meets challenges for traffic accident

chris12131

A deadly bus crash in Thailand has raised further concerns about travel safety in a country increasingly known for not just its beautiful beaches but also the high volume of road-related deaths that occur every year.

At least 19 people died Tuesday morning at about 4 a.m. when a Bangkok-bound chartered bus collided with a truck and burst into flames near a traffic signal light.

According to police, the truck driver was on his way to a factory making traffic signal lights for sale when he dozed off at the wheel and lost control of the vehicle.

The crash comes a day after reports that a tour bus making its way to Bangkok from Phang-nga province crashed in the southern province of Prachuap Khiri Khan, injuring 22.

For people who live in Thailand, news headlines highlighting passenger bus and mini-van accidents have become an almost weekly occurrence.

With Thailand welcoming more than 22 million visitors in 2012, according to Tourism Authority figures released in January, the country's safety record is an ever-present issue for foreign governments looking to stop their citizens from being included in Thailand's deathly road statistics and old traffic signal lights.

Several countries, including Australia, the United Kingdom and United States, have issued warnings to tourists and expats against the bad road conditions and lax enforcement of safety measures in the country.

Last week, the British Foreign & Commonwealth Office released its annual "British Behavior Abroad″ report, which analyzes assistance provided by consular staff from April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2013. In it, Thailand is singled out as a destination where many British citizens require help.

"Thailand has seen a significant increase in hospitalizations and deaths, despite fewer cases worldwide," says the FCO report. While acknowledging that an aging population attributed to the increase, "road traffic accidents, many involving young people on mopeds" are also a factor.

The report says 74% of Thailand's road traffic deaths were attributed to motorcycle accidents.

"Helmet-wearing campaigns," would help to reduce the carnage on the country's roads, said Avi Silverman, from the Make Roads Safe campaign, along with "better road infrastructure -- safe crossing points and more pavements -- properly enforced speeding legislation, better post-crash care and better coordination among regional countries all suffering the same problem."

• 2 weeks later...

Thailand now in 2nd place says WHO.

Thailand has been relegated to second place in the World Health Organisation's list of the most dangerous countries for drivers, according to “The Guardian”.

The Dominican Republic now holds that honour, with 41.7 motoring deaths per 100,000 residents.

Widespread disregard for personal safety and obeying the rules of the road contribute to this figure, and no doubt this also applies to Thailand.

Road safety campaigns including those against drunk driving have not resonated with the public, and when the Dominican officials run workshops, “people fall asleep.”

Sounds all very familiar, including a bit about families crowded onto one motorbike and the safety helmet on the petrol tank.

There was no mention if they also step off this planet while driving at high speed on a motor bike, texting and with no helmet.

I read the OP ... great first post BTW ... thumbsup.gif

Lot's of words ...

Maybe there was no mention of Taxis ... they must be safe then?

Missed the point of the OP though.

I must be slow today, carry on.

2nd time in a week you have that problem, that i am aware of at least. Visit a doctor maybe ?

• Like 1

Thailand now in 2nd place says WHO.

Thailand has been relegated to second place in the World Health Organisation's list of the most dangerous countries for drivers, according to The Guardian.

The Dominican Republic now holds that honour, with 41.7 motoring deaths per 100,000 residents.

Widespread disregard for personal safety and obeying the rules of the road contribute to this figure, and no doubt this also applies to Thailand.

Road safety campaigns including those against drunk driving have not resonated with the public, and when the Dominican officials run workshops, people fall asleep.

Sounds all very familiar, including a bit about families crowded onto one motorbike and the safety helmet on the petrol tank.

There was no mention if they also step off this planet while driving at high speed on a motor bike, texting and with no helmet.

You forgot about the dog in the basket !

Great first post. 5555

Tell us something we don't know. On virtually every long distant ride I take I have near misses with those silver van drivers. They pass strings of traffic on blind corners. I've had good success riding in Green busses and they usually arrive on time.

I must be slow today, carry on.

2nd time in a week you have that problem, that i am aware of at least. Visit a doctor maybe ?

Living in Thailand at the moment ... out at the Farm.

Dulls some of the senses ... heightens others.

BTW ... my blood must still be OK ... the Mozzies are queueing up!