TOT IPTV - Any recommendations on installing XBMC?

schondie

The wife came home yesterday with a TOT IPTV box. I started fiddling around with it and decided as it runs Android I could probably run XBMC on it. I was impressed that there was no buffering on it and TOT hasn't even come to upgrade the village cables yet.

Has anyone else tried this out and been successful? Can XBMC be run off a USB?

Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for that DigitalBanana.

I wasn't sure if it was possible but you've put my mind at rest.

I saw a video about getting a wireless keyboard working on it so it looks like my old netbook may have become redundant. I'll keep both for now and switch between them as and when needed.

A good call on Hola as well, thanks once again. Tonight I'll install Hola, XBMC and a wireless keyboard and mouse.

Hi Schondie, I was looking at getting the service as well, tell me, what does it cost per month for the service ?,

I ask ,as a guy up in Chaing Rai says he only pays 65 bht rental for the box, the channels are free ,is that

correct?, as last time i checked it out it was up to 600 bht pm.

thanks regards Worgeordie

Update

I managed to get the wireless keyboard working, sort of, after a few attempts. It's not working perfectly but the mouse works well, it's enough for now.

XBMC installed without any problems and today I'll find that Hola add-on as the TOT Appstore is a bit iffy but I'll get around that.

I find the TOT app store very limited - not sure how/why they do it, but not much to choose versus Google Play site. So I side install the apk files via the TOT IPTV SD card slot. For some reason I cannot get the TOT IPTV file manager to recognize the USB port, only SD card slots??

As for other posters question on cost, our TOT IPTV came free with the internet connection that costs 599THB/m. We are thinking of upgrading the bandwidth to fibre tho as the 10mbps can sometimes buffer.

I find the TOT app store very limited - not sure how/why they do it, but not much to choose versus Google Play site. So I side install the apk files via the TOT IPTV SD card slot. For some reason I cannot get the TOT IPTV file manager to recognize the USB port, only SD card slots??

As for other posters question on cost, our TOT IPTV came free with the internet connection that costs 599THB/m. We are thinking of upgrading the bandwidth to fibre tho as the 10mbps can sometimes buffer.

The app store has some Chinese characters in the top left hand corner and I think it was originally made for the Chinese market thus leaving out any useful apps such as Hola etc.

The 10 mbps we have used to be useless but over the last few weeks it's really improved. Before the end of the month TOT are upgrading our village cables and the engineers say that we'll get a much more stable connection.

Both my USB ports are working, one for the wireless keyboard adapter and the other one read a Kingston 8gb USB without a problem.

The app store has some Chinese characters in the top left hand corner and I think it was originally made for the Chinese market thus leaving out any useful apps such as Hola etc.

The 10 mbps we have used to be useless but over the last few weeks it's really improved. Before the end of the month TOT are upgrading our village cables and the engineers say that we'll get a much more stable connection.

Both my USB ports are working, one for the wireless keyboard adapter and the other one read a Kingston 8gb USB without a problem.

Yes, the USB ports work on ours as well for mouse/keyboard, but if I try to read off a USB memory stick plugged into one of the two USB ports using the IPTV file manager, it does not show any drive attached. Only can read off SD cards, which I sometimes plug in to side load and apk file.

Interesting...smile.png

Which hardware does the box have?

Which version of Android is running?

What's the monthly cost/rental for the box?

2 USBs

HDMI port

VGA port

SD card

It runs on Android 4.1 and it costs 100 baht a month (the wife just read the agreement with TOT).

It's good deal and as TOT are banking on this to take customers away from True Vision et al I think they're trying hard to deliver this with no buffering. I'm not sure about the costs of adding channels as I have all I need on XBMC thumbsup.gif

Can someone/anyone confirm they get the channels listed below for free with TOT IPTV

ITV Choice
SYFY
Warner Brothers TV
THRILL MOVIE CHANNEL
STAR WOLRD HD
STAR MAX
STAR GOLD
Star Plus
Motorvision HD
OUTDOOR HD
SKY NEWS (UK) HD
EURONEWS
ALJAZEERA NEWS
DW
France24
FOX NEWS
CCTV News
WE HD (English)
UNIVERSAL CHANNEL
SET (sony entertainment television)
Kix
Ginx TV Gaming
Animax
Nick Jr
Jimjam
Fox Crime HD
Comedy Central HD
MSNBC HD
FX HD
CRIME&INVESTIGATION
NAT GEO ADVENTURE HD
NAT GEO WILD HD
Biography Channel
TRAVEL CHANNEL HD
FASHION TV HD
THE AFRICA CHANNEL
WealthTV HD
NAT GEO MUSIC HD
MTV HD
DocuBox HD
M channel HD
Baby TV HD
Cartoonito HD
EDGE HD

Sidelines answered in the Chaing Rai forum

S Package, an extra 290 baht

M Package, an extra 580 baht.

The free package is Thai terrestrial TV stations and other programming in Thai.

The guy who thinks he'll get English channels for free might get a surprise in his next TOT bill.

^^

thanks.

Is the XBMC gui usable/fluid, or is it sluggish?

I found that XBMC runs much better than on my PC (Linux Mint 4gb RAM). Faster to open and the only time it stopped responding was when I opened a folder in Navi X and it just locked up.

Apart from that one incident it seems to run very well without any buffering.

Can someone/anyone confirm they get the channels listed below for free with TOT IPTV

ITV Choice

SYFY

Warner Brothers TV

THRILL MOVIE CHANNEL

STAR WOLRD HD

STAR MAX

STAR GOLD

Star Plus

Motorvision HD

OUTDOOR HD

SKY NEWS (UK) HD

EURONEWS

ALJAZEERA NEWS

DW

France24

FOX NEWS

CCTV News

WE HD (English)

UNIVERSAL CHANNEL

SET (sony entertainment television)

Kix

Ginx TV Gaming

Animax

Nick Jr

Jimjam

Fox Crime HD

Comedy Central HD

MSNBC HD

FX HD

CRIME&INVESTIGATION

NAT GEO ADVENTURE HD

NAT GEO WILD HD

Biography Channel

TRAVEL CHANNEL HD

FASHION TV HD

THE AFRICA CHANNEL

WealthTV HD

NAT GEO MUSIC HD

MTV HD

DocuBox HD

M channel HD

Baby TV HD

Cartoonito HD

EDGE HD

None of the baove channels are available on free TOT IPTV except STAR WOLRD HD (which is absolute crap but your tastes may vary!)

With a suitable app installed on the IPTV box some of those channels can be found free I would guess but not all?

well, I got the Box today.

Works good so far.

Monthly cost is 150 incl. "s-package"

Nice, the box is pre-rooted! biggrin.png (Adaway)

Now I am testing different XBMC versions.

Congrats on the box, they do work well for such a small piece of kit. On Saturday evening I presume the TOT servers went down for a bit as I could use the browser but all the TV channels were gone and would not update. The wife was watching the volleyball and was a little miffed about that. It's to be expected I suppose.

I don't know know anything about different versions of XBMC, I just got the standard Android package from their download page.

Congrats on the box, they do work well for such a small piece of kit. On Saturday evening I presume the TOT servers went down for a bit as I could use the browser but all the TV channels were gone and would not update. The wife was watching the volleyball and was a little miffed about that. It's to be expected I suppose.

I don't know know anything about different versions of XBMC, I just got the standard Android package from their download page.

Well, it seems that the "Pivos XBMC build" is the right choice.

Since the TOT box is based on the same "Amlogic Chipset", the Pivos-XBMC, compiled with hardware acceleration for these Chipsets works very well.

Even Full HD videos plays fine.

• Like 1

Well, it seems that the "Pivos XBMC build" is the right choice.

Since the TOT box is based on the same "Amlogic Chipset", the Pivos-XBMC, compiled with hardware acceleration for these Chipsets works very well.

Even Full HD videos plays fine.

As I know Jack squat about Android this is really great advice. Telephones are not my favourite things but I'll learn.

Thanks for the great advice Turkleton, I'll give it a go once my nieces and nephew go back to their grandparents. Our rules are - No TV or internet when they stay with us. They can entertain themselves and read books.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone had any problems connecting their iptv box to their LAN? Mine connects no problem to my wireless connection, but point blankly refuses to be hardwire connected - keeps saying login failure, but there are no options in the hardwire section for entering a password [and why should I need one if it's hardwired]. The wireless connection has to go round too many corners [thru too many walls] for the connection to be fast/stable enough for live streaming.

What others are saying on here about the Android options etc - can anybody point me to a website or whatever to get the best out of what the iptv box presents.

Any feedback greatly appreciated - thankswink.png

I know it sounds stupid but have you toggled the on/off button on the top right hand corner of the LAN menu ?

it caught me out spent a good hour cursing and scrathing my head.

As for the login failure there is no password option the box auto logs in to TOT's server but can't because there is no internet connection

so displays that message.

I know it sounds stupid but have you toggled the on/off button on the top right hand corner of the LAN menu ?

it caught me out spent a good hour cursing and scrathing my head.

As for the login failure there is no password option the box auto logs in to TOT's server but can't because there is no internet connection

so displays that message.

Thanks for your words of wisdom JohnG - you may have hit the nail on the head. I was also trying to set the thing up on Saturday night, when all the internet outages were occurring - so I'm sure that didn't help either.

One further small point you may be able to help with - the hardwired screen defaults to a mac address if you choose the Dynamic ISP. The address matches none of my pieces of hardware - should I change this to my router's mac address? [with or without the colons?] Or choose the static ISP option and enter all DNS and Gateway addresses?

Sorry if that all sounds dumb

Some help for a n00b please:

Following instructions on another thread, I've managed to put the Google Play Store onto my TOT iptv box. When I click the icon however, it takes 30secs or so to run. Meanwhile a box appears saying Google Play Store has stopped working. The set-up account details box appears milliseconds later but behind the Stopped Working box. There is no option but to click the OK button on the Stopped Working box, which then closes the whole application. Tried everything I can think of but to no avail. Anyone got any suggestions as to how to get round this.

Thanks in advance

Some help for a n00b please:

Following instructions on another thread, I've managed to put the Google Play Store onto my TOT iptv box. When I click the icon however, it takes 30secs or so to run. Meanwhile a box appears saying Google Play Store has stopped working. The set-up account details box appears milliseconds later but behind the Stopped Working box. There is no option but to click the OK button on the Stopped Working box, which then closes the whole application. Tried everything I can think of but to no avail. Anyone got any suggestions as to how to get round this.

Thanks in advance

Ditto.

This has happened to mine as well. Google Play decided to stop working in the same way.

How does one save favorites within XBMC on a TOT box or any Android TV box for that matter (the star icon to next to the power off icon on main home page of XBMC)?

I know on windows PC and touch device tablet Android one simply long presses the channel and an option to add to favorites pops up. How is it done on the TOT non touch screen Android?

Edited by Digitalbanana