Buddhism, a religion which is not forcing anybody to become Buddhist?

Confuscious

A few years ago, I had a discussion with several members about Buddhism.

They all claimed that Buddhism was a religion which not try to convert or make people switch to Buddhism.

Unlike other religions such as Christians and others.

My child is studying at Assumption Nakhon Ratchasima.

Every morning from 8 am to 9 am she is forced to listen to the chanting of monks in their saffraan outfit brought in with buses and vans.

After their chanting she is forced to donate something to the monks.

Most of the kids, are sitting there and playing games on their phones or chatting with their friends.

Showing their feelings to the whole charade.

This the TRUE face of Buddhism.

Don't let anybody fool you about Buddhism or any religion.

Buddhism is pushed in your throat like any other religion.

Luckely we have in my country FREEDOM of religion.

Nobody is forced to embrace a religion.

Maybe there is an other school without chanting and donation for you some where around. Or just send her home to boarding school and she will not have any religion puched down her throat. Btw it sound to me like you are the one forcing her to endure this since you put her there, right?

Edited by Indrid Cold

Buddhism isn't a uniform religion. It goes from something that makes Buddha almost to a god, to something that is more a philosophy for life.

Like in all religions with radicals and with total liberal one.

Since Buddhism is the majority religion here in Thailand it is only natural that the Government schools teach the kids Buddhism and give them the chance to make merit. I bet nobody is really forcing your kid to chant ...or even give gifts. perhaps she would feel out of place amongst her friends if they are giving and she is not.

The teachers have no right to force....and many schools have some pupils who are moslem or christian and they are allowed to just attend without carrying out the rituals.

Since Buddhism is the majority religion here in Thailand it is only natural that the Government schools teach the kids Buddhism and give them the chance to make merit.

Buddhism is full of invaluable treasures that can be taught to people giving them important skills for life:

Mindfulness exercises, moral reasoning/logic, metta meditation, etc. All of these things can be taught at school and give kids valuable tools for life.

What do you learn from listening to Pali chants without anybody explaining the meaning to you? What do you learn from ritualistic giving without anybody bothering to explain the meaning or reasoning behind it?

If you really need to incorporate religious teachings into a school (which is controversial in and of itself), then at least do it skilfully and with a mind to developing the children in a positive, empowering direction.

• Like 1

Whatever it's values, which I generally approve, never forget it is seriously big business here in LOS.

In that latter respect, at least 2 Western religions come to mind.

Edited: By Western I meant European. In the US, take your pick.

Edited by Bpuumike

Since Buddhism is the majority religion here in Thailand it is only natural that the Government schools teach the kids Buddhism and give them the chance to make merit.

Buddhism is full of invaluable treasures that can be taught to people giving them important skills for life:

Mindfulness exercises, moral reasoning/logic, metta meditation, etc. All of these things can be taught at school and give kids valuable tools for life.

What do you learn from listening to Pali chants without anybody explaining the meaning to you? What do you learn from ritualistic giving without anybody bothering to explain the meaning or reasoning behind it?

If you really need to incorporate religious teachings into a school (which is controversial in and of itself), then at least do it skilfully and with a mind to developing the children in a positive, empowering direction.

As you say, there are good aspects of it....meditation is good for all,. irrespective of their beliefs, as is moral training.

Many temples here in Thailand now have chanting books which translate the Pali into Thai and often chant both.

Not teaching the kids the meaning and whys and wherefores of everything they do is the fault of the teachers.....and monks, who often do not know themselves. Thais are afraid to ask when they don't know something....afraid of losing face... In school they are not taught to question the teachers.

You could say I was "forced" to listen to (& sing) Christian hymns & liturgy as a child, to put money in the collection plate, to learn to recite this & that, participate in the blessing before meals, say bedtime prayers, etc., etc. Strangely, even though I'm no longer "practicing", I don't regard any of those things as unpleasant memories or bad influences, not in the least. In many respects I do in fact regard them as positive influences in my life. In fact, I stil enjoy hearing the music from time to time, and find a great many of the values involved in that religious practice (which as I experienced it NEVER included the idea that those not of the faith should be looked down upon or exploited or treated with any sort of malice) as worthwhile, and perhaps NOT as easily passed along to the young without religion as the vehicle. If religion is a viable way to teach human understanding, the need for compassion & charity, the importance of giving, etc., why is it so necessary to condemn it just because it CAN be distorted and turned to evil purpose, as it inevitably is by some, or even many. Seems to me most everything can be distorted and turned to evil purpose, for sure and for certain INCLUDING secular public education!

Therefore, in view of all the above, I find outright condemnation of all religion - as so often screamed by the left - as a bit simpleminded. Whatever its crimes, I can't help but think its abolition would bring on a human condition far far worse than now. The key is FREEDOM of religion, not abolition of it!

• Like 1

Welcome to the Buddhism branch of ThaiVisa.com's Expat Forum. Just because this branch is called 'Buddhism' doesn't mean you have to be a Buddhist to post here. People of all faiths - atheists and agnostics, too - are invited to post provided what you have to say is relevant to Buddhism.

This is a place where those who are involved in Buddhism already can discuss views and ideas; where those new to Buddhism or the merely curious can ask questions about Buddhism and get answers from other members; and where we can all share information about Buddhism in Thailand in particular. While views on Buddhism as practiced in other schools of Buddhism and in other countries are welcome, the primary focus is the Thai brand of Theravada Buddhism (since this is ThaiVisa.com after all)

Do keep in mind that Buddhism, along with the Thai monarchy, is one of the most respected social institutions in Thailand. Posts whose primary purpose is to slag off Buddhism in general or Thai Buddhism in particular are not welcome. Such posts will be edited or deleted immediately, and the member will be warned and/or suspended. Proselytising is likewise unwelcome. This includes repeatedly posting dogma about any subject matter, including vegetarianism, celibacy and so on.

Posts about other religions, eg, Christianity, Islam, etc, or about the existence of God, intelligent design, Western philosophy, science, creation, etc are allowable only when expressly discussed in the context of Buddhism. Any new topic where Buddhism is not thematically involved will be immediately deleted, or, if otherwise relevant to Thailand, moved to the appropriate subforum.

• Like 1