Playstation 4 release date

tommyp50

In a quick look online I saw NZ has shops advertising it as available from the 5th of Dec (Although they did have a disclaimer going with that).

Regardless of where it comes out first, being region free is awesome, since it gives me the choice on where I buy either games or the console itself (Particularly as I'll be in NZ during Jan)

Will be interesting to find out the Thailand release date (and a good store to preorder from) :)

Been looking forward to be getting my hands on the PS4, hopefully this year, but seeing as PS3 was released in Thailand in late 2009 (!), perhaps we shouldn't hope on it reaching this year. I guess there is a big chance it won't take as long as last time. Good news however was that Singapore got PS3 before even Europe in 2007, and if Sony follow a similiar pattern this time it look like a trip to Singapore will have to do.

Previous post prompted me to do a bit of research (typed it into google and clicked on the wikipedia result) on the PS3 launches:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3_launch

The PS3 was launched in Thailand 3 years after it's first country, Japan. There's no way I'm waiting 3 years for it to be released in Thailand - that would be 2016!!!

If the PS3 launch schedule is anything to go by, a trip to Singapore or Hong Kong is definitely on the cards.

On a different note, are there any members of Playstation Network out there that could give a bit of feedback on whether it's fully functional in Thailand, or if there are any kind of limitations?

• 2 weeks later...

You should be able to get a PS4 from play Asia, who are based in Hong Kong I've bought a few things from them and they've been reliable but there's a possibility customs try and fleece some money out of you when the thieving gits see a farang name on the parcel!!

All games are going to be available to download online from the psn store, however you must have playstation plus subscription for online gaming, its about 2000 baht a year. Online gaming will remain free on the PS3 =D

I have both a PS3 and an xbox 360 which I'm more than happy with, so I am going to wait a year or two until,

a) it comes down in price a bit

B) there's a better selection of games

C) someone hacks it!

Oh and by the way both PSN and Xbox live are fully functional here, if not exactly lightening fast! although best to set up an account from your home country as I'm not sure you can get a Thai account?

The speeds are obviously better when you play against players within the same region, but I've played with US and UK players with no massive problems.

PSN Id: owt4nowt_kenobi

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all.

if anyone is still unaware... Sony Computer Entertainment Japan Asia is holding a press conference tomorrow.. it's been announced since the 21st of August.. or maybe even earlier..

it's all gonna be about Playstation News for the Asian Region - and if you have not noticed.. Japan does not even have a release date yet which is quite surprising as it is usually the first country a Sony console is first available.. This time around Sony is probably focussing on the US market first.. then Europe.. - Though we never know what may be announced tomorrow...

but what's also interesting for us is that it is going to be a conference for the "Asian Market" - thus we will most probably get dates for HK and SG..

when it comes to the our region, it seems Thailand is slowly getting up to speed with HK and SG... Malaysia / Indonesia / Thailand are now listed together with Hong Kong and Singapore on the Asian Playstation website.

here is the link to a news related to it.. there are actually plenty.. especially the past week: http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/21/4643122/sony-computer-entertainment-of-japan-asia-press-conference-set-for

Anyway.. since the PS4 is region free.. I believe getting it from overseas such as the US.. it would definitely be cheaper than buying it here in Thailand. Let us just have a look at the Official current PS Vita prices [after the latest price drops] in the US / Europe / JP / China / Thailand

US: USD 199 = about 6,000 THB

Europe: 199 Euros = about 8,000 THB

JP: 19,870 JPY = about 6,200 THB

China: 1,100 CNY = about 5,700 THB

Thailand: about 8,890 THB [it's been officially announced, but I haven't seen this price anywhere yet]

Even after official price drop, Sony Thailand is among the most expensive in the World

And most surprisingly for me, China is the cheapest... after hearing the PS Vita price there.. I can conclude that lots of Sony products can be found cheaper in China.. I bought a Sony headset MDR-1R there after confirming that it was cheaper than Sony Hong Kong... Once the gaming console ban is lifted there.. buying a PS4 there could be worthwhile!

Anyway.. good luck all!

sorry i forgot to mention, the conference can be watched Live with English Subs on the EU Playstation Blog website at 1PM Thai Time if I am not wrong.

Edited by MDraGc

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so to update the thread, Japan will be getting the PS4 on February 22nd, 2014 - 3 months after the US and Guatemala!!

After that announcement, I didn't have high hopes that SE Asia would be getting it before then, and resigned myself to the Songkran Holiday as the earliest I would be able to buy it.

However, it's just been announced that 5 SE Asian countries will be getting the PS4 in December this year! Thailand isn't one of them, but Singapore and Malaysia are.

Here's the quote from http://asia.cnet.com/sonys-playstation-4-to-make-asian-debut-in-dec-2013-62222410.htm

Consumers in Hong Kong, Korea, Malaysia, Singapore and Taiwan will get to buy the PS4 in December. The console will be made available in other Southeast Asia countries thereafter. Prices have not been announced, and will only be revealed during local launch events in each market in November.

I wouldn't be adverse to a quick out and return to Singapore over Christmas, but it all depends on whether 'thereafter' is January or July?

All I know is I'm sick and tired of my hacked Xbox 360 becoming more and more unreliable as the days go on - I know for a fact that GTAV hasn't got a snowball's chance of working on it. I'm done with buying modded consoles and copied games - I'm going kosher all the way from now on. If it costs 2000-2500 baht a game, then so be it, it'll be worth it to be able to rely on the fact that when I buy a game, it will work. Also, being able to download games will be a hell of a lot more convenient than killing time in Panthip Plaza waiting for the game to be burnt onto a DVD.

Edited by tommyp50

• 2 weeks later...

Been looking forward to be getting my hands on the PS4, hopefully this year, but seeing as PS3 was released in Thailand in late 2009 (!), perhaps we shouldn't hope on it reaching this year. I guess there is a big chance it won't take as long as last time. Good news however was that Singapore got PS3 before even Europe in 2007, and if Sony follow a similiar pattern this time it look like a trip to Singapore will have to do.

Indeed, a quick jaunt over to SG could well be cards!

Can't wait to play Destiny.

• 1 month later...

I very much doubt it that Thailand will get it the same time as others [HK / SG / MSIA / KR]. These are considered to be on a different level compared to Thailand.

I've talked to some game retailers in Thailand. For the PS4 to officially come in, it will take some time.. probably some time after Japan.. I would even say a year from now.. that is just based on what happened with the PS3.. when it took so long to bring it here officially.. it needed Sony Thailand to have deals with the HQ and to show how Thailand is actually a potential market...

To be honest.. I don't see Thailand to be a "potential" market if it is sold officially.. just look at all the locals.. no one buys consoles in Sony Shops...

But nothing is lost ^^ because it is Thailand! Buying one right now is possible.. the US one.. though prices are ridiculous.. they will drop like crazy when our region get its official release..

Once the local retailers start importing from HK and SG, prices will definitely be very much attractive/affordable.

if you want to know the price.. the US PS4 currently is over 20,000 THB... once SEA countries get it, the imported PS4 price in Thailand will be about 15,000 THB.. according to my retailers.

Once the PS4 is officially released here, it will be around the same price as other SEA countries.

From experience though.. if you got the opportunity to go to HK, buy everything you need! Console + Accessories + Games! Usually it is the cheapest among SEA countries.. Go to Mong Kok [Kowloon Side].. there is a building on the main road called Nathan Rd, mostly for games and all [not the computer centre]

• Like 1

All things considered i would say i'm not in a hurry. Launch games that have been released all got mediocre scores and battlefield 4 is on pc.It's gonna take some time until we see some unreal 4 engine games/real next gen and similar.Graphically speaking,difference between this gen/next gen launch games are not nearly as big as it was 2005/06.

I'm a bit dissapointed in ps4 performance,seeing most games are 900p or hardly even 1080 30fps.I believe 2 years down the road 720p will again become standard for most aaa games,which is rather disappointing in 2013/14 when even 100$ gpu can play 1080p games

Edited by GotR1GHT
  • Like 1

I very much doubt it that Thailand will get it the same time as others [HK / SG / MSIA / KR]. These are considered to be on a different level compared to Thailand.

I've talked to some game retailers in Thailand. For the PS4 to officially come in, it will take some time.. probably some time after Japan.. I would even say a year from now..

if you want to know the price.. the US PS4 currently is over 20,000 THB... once SEA countries get it, the imported PS4 price in Thailand will be about 15,000 THB. according to my retailers.

The standalone console will retail for $3380 in Hong Kong, which converts to around 13,800 baht - I think 15,000 is a little optimistic, but I'd be happy to pay 17-18k, so not too worried.

I'm looking to buy a PS4 towards the end of December (after it has been released in HK, SG and MY) Could you recommend any retailers in Bangkok to purchase an imported console from?

Also, do you know if I would be able to access the PSN / Playstation Plus services in Thailand if the console hasn't been officially released here?

I saw a ps4 advertised for 25500 and I know my local game shop here in korat sells them but not sure how much. Both the xbox one and ps4 look like being great consoles but I think it makes sense to wait for a year or so for prices to come down and a better selection of games, both the 360 and ps3 had major hardware issues when their consoles launched. I had two consoles that died with the red ring of death until I finally got one of the newer revamped 360's, Microsoft's customer service was pretty good, but I wouldn't want to have had to deal with customer support from here in Thailand.

I access psn here on my ps3 and play online with no problems, however I need to make sure I don't update to the official firmware, by the way The psn is not free on the ps4.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hi guys,

To tommyp50: 15,000 may sound optimistic, yes. If you are planning to get it by the end of december 2013, I guess importers would still want to take advantage of the limited supply here.. so yea.. 17-18K could be the price they go for at first.. and over time bring it down to 15K.. but that all depends on the local retailers and Play-Asia ^^

Play-Asia could still be used as a good price reference for our region even though in Thailand everything sent by Play-Asia gets stopped at the Customs ^^ for us to pay tax... Though, for many items, I have found local retailers being a tiny bit cheaper than Play-Asia

There is one local retailer that I have been using this past year. The prices are pretty nice, and the weekly discount are pretty sweet too ^^

http://ingamethailand.com

The shop is located at Ari BTS Station. But you can also pay online through various options, such as PayPal. Do not worry, they are trustworthy. Website is in english, the staff can speak english at some level too. If i remember correctly, they send all across the country.

About the discounts, they change every Thursdays.

Other retailers worth mentioning,

1. http://www.super-rich.com

Their shop is at the top floor of Digital Gateway @Siam Square. Staff is pretty friendly. I recently bought the official Sony PS Pulse Elite Edition Wireless Headset because it was the cheapest in the market.

2. http://www.nadzproject.com/?lang=en

The shop is located next to super-rich. I have only heard people mentioning this shop but I have never bought anything there.

--- About the PSN, it all depends on which country your PSN account is registered to. If it is Thailand, I assume it won't work until the official release [that is what happened when I bought my PS3 at first, so I had to select Singapore and create a fake address. But at that time, the PSN was new.. however.. I doubt Sony will update the Thai PSN Store until it is official.

Though I would not use the Thai PSN. A few months ago I bought a PS Vita, registered it to my Thai PSN and it seemed the Thai server has quite a few problems. My Vita had lots of trouble downloading anything from it.. At first, I thought it was because of the Vita.. but after changing it to my US PSN Account, no problem.

So now, I have set up everything to be on my US Account.. and have made it my main.. throwing away my SG Account on which I have been playing since PS3 launch T.T ... all records gone... trophies.. friends.. anything bought... but it is ok.. the US get earlier releases and special deals too.. tho they don't have the sweet deals the European PSN Plus members get..

BUT.. we got the Asia-America Gateway [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asia-America_Gateway] which allows us, in Thailand, to have pretty decent connections to US servers and all.

To sushi5734: PSN is still free to some extent. Sony is letting the game developers decide whether or not to restrict the access to PS Plus members only.

Example: Planetside 2 is not restricted. [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-10-31-planetside-2-out-on-playstation-4-early-2014]

But yea.. most games will be. Other services such as Netflix are still free for those who use VPNs to get that.

• Like 1

Yep I forgot about the psn account region thing, I use a UK account and its fine although I had to buy a European version on gta v to make sure I could get future dlc.

Good list of shops, you're right everything coming through customs is being raped at the moment, a friend of mine has been asked for 4000 baht to release a jar of coffee and a few other bits sent from the states.

I can just imagine the Thai customs guys going through the parcels,

Semtex....ok

Ak47.....ok

Slow loris....ok

Tiger penis.....ok

Jar of coffee.....red alert there's a farang with a parcel from his mum let's shake him down.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Thanks MDraGC.

I know the shop you mean next to the Ari BTS station, it's not far from where I work. I see they're offering pre-orders of the PS4, will check them out tomorrow.

Did you notice any difference in data transfer speeds when you changed from a Singapore account to a US account? I'm thinking that I'll set up a UK account as my credit card address is there and it should offer more of the things that I'll be interested in.

Sushi5734: Thanks for the warning on imports. Wasn't planning on importing anyway, but hadn't thought of the customs 'farang tax'.

Edited by tommyp50

Took the plunge yesterday - Bought a Playstation 4 for 23,000 baht from Game Mania in Panthip Plaza.

ingame Thailand in Ari said that they will have the Asia Playstation (imported from Hong Kong where it releases on December 17th I assume) on the 20th of December and selling it at 18,XXX baht, although I saw their jar of pre-order tickets, and there is a lot in there.

I also bought a 1TB hard drive from JIB Computers for 2,690 baht (make sure you get a 2.5 inch hard drive if you are thinking of upgrading from the 500GB one you get with the PS4).

I couldn't find any disc-based games at Panthip Plaza, Game Mania told me I could just download them, this is true, but after connecting to the UK PSN, I see that games are retailing for between £45-55 there. However, ingame Thailand in Ari has disc-based games for 1,990 baht each (around £39 at today's exchange rate).

So I bought Killzone, Knack, NBA2K14, Lego Marvel and a second controller at ingame - all for 1,990 baht each.

I also bought a 1 year subscription to PS Plus for £39.99.

First impressions:

The PS4 is nice, quite heavy but looks great. Replacing the Hard Drive was really simple, it took no longer than 10 mins and all you need is a screwdriver and this video. The user interface is really easy to use. I did have problems with internet connection at first (True's fault not the PS4's), but it didn't stop me from playing games and after a couple of hours it was running at full speed, could even watch other people's broadcast streams at real-time.

Controller - Fits your hands well, the L2 and R2 triggers and analogue sticks are much better than the Dualshock 3. Only used the touchpad with Killzone, but it did everything it needed to. I like the fact that you can press the PS Button to go back to the user interface at any time, then return to a game by pressing it again.

Killzone - Very impressive visuals, there's a bit on the start where you're flying over a city and it is jaw dropping. Gameplay seems good, can see myself enjoying late nights with it.

Knack - It got bad reviews, but I've enjoyed the first couple of levels, very easy to pick up and straight forward in terms of what to do and where to go.

NBA2K14 - Never played a basketball game before, so a bit cautious, but I got into it as time went on. I can see it becoming quite addictive.

Lego Marvel is for my 9 year old son. We played co-op together and that was a lot of fun - he was telling to press this, press that.

Resogun - A free download when I subscribed to PS Plus - really simple gameplay with simple controls, but it definitely has the addictive factor.

Contrast - Another free download. Again simple gameplay with simple controls, the shifting into your shadow is a nice idea, I think the mood and ambience makes it more of a 'late night' game.

PS Plus - Jury is still out on this one - will see how it goes.

Took the plunge yesterday - Bought a Playstation 4 for 23,000 baht from Game Mania in Panthip Plaza.

ingame Thailand in Ari said that they will have the Asia Playstation (imported from Hong Kong where it releases on December 17th I assume) on the 20th of December and selling it at 18,XXX baht, although I saw their jar of pre-order tickets, and there is a lot in there.

I also bought a 1TB hard drive from JIB Computers for 2,690 baht (make sure you get a 2.5 inch hard drive if you are thinking of upgrading from the 500GB one you get with the PS4).

I couldn't find any disc-based games at Panthip Plaza, Game Mania told me I could just download them, this is true, but after connecting to the UK PSN, I see that games are retailing for between £45-55 there. However, ingame Thailand in Ari has disc-based games for 1,990 baht each (around £39 at today's exchange rate).

So I bought Killzone, Knack, NBA2K14, Lego Marvel and a second controller at ingame - all for 1,990 baht each.

I also bought a 1 year subscription to PS Plus for £39.99.

First impressions:

The PS4 is nice, quite heavy but looks great. Replacing the Hard Drive was really simple, it took no longer than 10 mins and all you need is a screwdriver and this video. The user interface is really easy to use. I did have problems with internet connection at first (True's fault not the PS4's), but it didn't stop me from playing games and after a couple of hours it was running at full speed, could even watch other people's broadcast streams at real-time.

Controller - Fits your hands well, the L2 and R2 triggers and analogue sticks are much better than the Dualshock 3. Only used the touchpad with Killzone, but it did everything it needed to. I like the fact that you can press the PS Button to go back to the user interface at any time, then return to a game by pressing it again.

Killzone - Very impressive visuals, there's a bit on the start where you're flying over a city and it is jaw dropping. Gameplay seems good, can see myself enjoying late nights with it.

Knack - It got bad reviews, but I've enjoyed the first couple of levels, very easy to pick up and straight forward in terms of what to do and where to go.

NBA2K14 - Never played a basketball game before, so a bit cautious, but I got into it as time went on. I can see it becoming quite addictive.

Lego Marvel is for my 9 year old son. We played co-op together and that was a lot of fun - he was telling to press this, press that.

Resogun - A free download when I subscribed to PS Plus - really simple gameplay with simple controls, but it definitely has the addictive factor.

Contrast - Another free download. Again simple gameplay with simple controls, the shifting into your shadow is a nice idea, I think the mood and ambience makes it more of a 'late night' game.

PS Plus - Jury is still out on this one - will see how it goes.

Nadz project will be selling the Asian model on 16-17 December for 15000 baht

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after 4 months, this thread can finally be put to bed.

The answer to the question in the OP of 'when the PS4 will be available in the local Sony Centre in Thailand?' is....

JANUARY 14, 2014

Full story, price and bundle details are all here:

http://ap.ign.com/en/news/10551/philippines-thailand-joins-the-sea-ps4-party

Edited by tommyp50

Well, after 4 months, this thread can finally be put to bed.

The answer to the question in the OP of 'when the PS4 will be available in the local Sony Centre in Thailand?' is....

JANUARY 14, 2014

Full story, price and bundle details are all here:

http://ap.ign.com/en/news/10551/philippines-thailand-joins-the-sea-ps4-party

That is a great news. Correct if i'm wrong(i really don't remember exactly) but i think thailand got x360/ps3 about 1-2 year after it was released in us/eu