Thai earth worms- Millions of them!

I just finished our stage one fertiliser pellet making and we spread a ton yesterday. Unfortunately there was an unannounced water release upstream the night before last so the paddies were ankle deep in water. We will see what happens in a few days with the fertiliser, but as a result of the flooding the edges of each paddy where like Morchit bus station before a public holiday. Absolutely teeming with Thai earth worms. I scooped up about 15 kg along about 2 metres at the "shoreline".

I am going to give these a try in the worm compost beds. If they work then it will provide a means of keeping the population high for sale at vastly reduced prices, castings as well as bait. I know they work as bait because try as hard as I can to sell compost worms to local fishermen, the only return has been laughter.

Has anyone tried these worms for composting?

I know a guy who uses earth worms to grow and sell for bait. He grows them in rotted sawdust or bark. When the worms have completely broken down the wood material into castings, he raises mushrooms in the castings. Last, he sells the spent castings as compost for gardens. He has about 3 rai of that under cover, and makes a good living.

Worms sell really well to salmon and steelhead fishermen. He wholesales the worms to fishing tackle and bait shops. Link

• Like 1

My thought then was to hit & run. Sooner or later, competition will cut in fiercely for slices of a smaller pie.

I have the added advantages, being Chinese, speak Mandarin and my contact is China.

I'm still the liason person for the new boss in Thailand... for a fee of course~ tongue.png

The expansion rental ponds are meant for off season harvest, back by wholesalers.

Edited by RedBullHorn
  • Like 1