Flying Into Thailand On Visa-Exemption, Need Retirement Visa

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You fill out visa application form that consulate uses. TM7 is used at immigration here for extensions. For a single entry all you need is your passport.

I went to Denpasar Consulate this morning and was told that I needed supporting documents, and was shown a list on the wall. I can't remember exactly what they said, but they were to do with things like family visit. I explained that I was over 50 and planned to get a retirement extension when I got to Thailand. I was told I could only get this in Jakarta. I explained that I didn't want a retirement visa but a non-imm o visa, but they still said I needed to go to Jakarta. The person working there phoned someone else (maybe the Consulate or maybe not), and he said the same thing.

So has anyone here ever got a non-imm o visa from Denpasar without supporting documents?

I'm heading to Jakarta anyway, so I suppose I may as well try there instead. But if there was a way to sort this out this morning that would be good. But don't want to hang around in Denpasar longer than planned.

Edited by davejones

If it is your plan to obtain retirement extension you can obtain the visa entry once in Thailand as long as you have 15 days or more remaining on your permitted to stay with show of financial proof (does not have to be seasoned). Cost is 2,000 baht at immigration office. So you can enter visa exempt or with tourist visa without a problem.

Issue of non immigrant visas has become very restricted at most locations recently so best to ask first anywhere if travel involved. What has happened in the past may well not be what is current policy. Thanks for the report and good luck.

If it is your plan to obtain retirement extension you can obtain the visa entry once in Thailand as long as you have 15 days or more remaining on your permitted to stay with show of financial proof (does not have to be seasoned). Cost is 2,000 baht at immigration office. So you can enter visa exempt or with tourist visa without a problem.

Issue of non immigrant visas has become very restricted at most locations recently so best to ask first anywhere if travel involved. What has happened in the past may well not be what is current policy. Thanks for the report and good luck.

Yes, that was my plan B. But I just wanted to avoid any hassle getting on the plane with a one-way ticket. I'll probably try again in Jakarta, as I think the whole process will be easier if I get it.

If I arrive in Thailand on via exempt, it then means I need to get letter from UK Embassy as proof that I have enough income so that I can get initial visa, and then later have to get another letter (because the first might be out of date), so that I can do extension.

Anyway, I'll try Jakarta and report back. If that doesn't work, then I'll do what you said above.

Did you make it clear to them that you only wanted a single entry.

Yes. I explained the situation to two people, and they both said I needed to go to Jakarta. The list on the wall didn't cover my situation. There was an "o" visa list of documents needed, but they covered things like family visits, etc.

Edited by davejones

A tourist visa would resolve the airline travel issue if you want - or you could just buy a throw away at airport if they require without visa. Most local flights do not check this closely as people often travel on one-way tickets.

Can I get this in Jakarta instead? This would be easier for me than Denpasar.

It should be no problem getting single entry O visa there.

I just got a reply from Royal Thai Embassy in Jakarta to say I can't get a non-imm o visa, as I'm single. They can only issue a tourist visa. They can issue non-imm o only for people married to a Thai citizen.

I just got a reply from Royal Thai Embassy in Jakarta to say I can't get a non-imm o visa, as I'm single. They can only issue a tourist visa. They can issue non-imm o only for people married to a Thai citizen. 
That sounds like a reply for a multiple entry visa not a single.

It makes no sense to me.

That sounds like a reply for a multiple entry visa not a single.

It makes no sense to me.

I specifically asked about a single-entry visa. Whether if makes sense or not, that is what they said. But I just sent a reply to double check, so I'll let you know what they say.

Where will your RESIDENCE be in Thailand?

At larger Thai immigration offices at least you can do a change of status in Thailand to a single O visa from your 30 day stamp.

That gives you a 90 day stay.

To be qualified for that first step you must show you are FINANCIALLY qualified for the second step, the annual extension based on retirement.

What financial qualification method were you planning on using?

If using the 800K bank account method, the banked money must be seasoned for at least 60 days before your application for the annual extension. You can apply for that extension within 30 (or perhaps 45) days of the end of your 90 day stay.

You don't need a retirement visa. A retirement visa is an O-A visa. They are only available from your home country; never in Thailand.

The other two method options are income method (embassy letter showing at 65K baht monthly income or the combo method, embassy letter plus Thai bank account to at least 800K, no seasoning needed. If using the 800K method the funds do not need to be seasoned fully at the time of application from change of status from 30 day stamp to single O visa but do need to be seasoned at time of application for annual retirement extension.

Is the correct application form TM-87?

One final question. I'm going to use the money in the bank method as proof of income. For this visa application do I just need to take my updated bank book or do I also need a letter from the bank as well?

I know I'll need a letter for the permission to stay extension, but maybe it's different for the initial visa.

I'm getting my bank letter today, so will go to immigration today or tomorrow. What do I need to take with me? I have...

TM87

2,000 baht fee

one photo

photocopies of passport, 3-day stamp, departure card

hotel booking receipt as proof of address

Hotel is only booked for 2 days. Will that be a problem. Currently looking for a condo. Will they need proof of address?

There is a new requirement to get a non-o visa if you're over 50. As well as a letter from the bank showing that you have over 800,000, you now need a second letter from the bank showing that the funds came from outside Thailand. The immigration officer showed me the requirements and also showed me a sample letter from Bangkok Bank.

I also found out that you need to apply with at least 15 days left of your current stay (not 20 as someone mentioned). And it also said that both letters from the bank need to be dated the same day that you apply for the visa. So get letters then go to immigration the same day.

If you're using the income method, as well as a letter from the Embassy, you also need supporting documents that show where this income is from.

I'm not sure how much of this is new, as this is the first time I've done this.

Edited by davejones

There is a new requirement to get a non-o visa if you're over 50. As well as a letter from the bank showing that you have over 800,000, you now need a second letter from the bank showing that the funds came from outside Thailand. The immigration officer showed me the requirements and also showed me a sample letter from Bangkok Bank.

I also found out that you need to apply with at least 15 days left of your current stay (not 20 as someone mentioned). And it also said that both letters from the bank need to be dated the same day that you apply for the visa. So get letters then go to immigration the same day.

If you're using the income method, as well as a letter from the Embassy, you also need supporting documents that show where this income is from.

Which immigration office ?

No such new requirement exists. There is no requirement to have the money transferred from abroad.

Which immigration office are you talking about?

No such new requirement exists. There is no requirement to have the money transferred from abroad.

Bangkok Immigration. I have the requirements form here. That's what the form says, and that's what the immigration officer told me. She even showed me a sample bank letter.

Edited by davejones

Bangkok Immigration. I have the requirements form here. That's what the form says, and that's what the immigration officer told me. She even showed me a sample bank letter.

Would you please scan and post that requirement form ?