Democrats, PAD join forces to fight 'Thaksin regime'

webfact

POLITICS
Democrats, PAD join forces to fight 'Thaksin regime'

Prapasri Osathanon,
Nakarin Srilert
The Nation

Say other players in movement against Shinawatra dynasty 'lack unity, clout'

BANGKOK: -- The Democrats and the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) have agreed to join political forces to fight "Thaksin's regime", Democrat MP Nipit Intarasombat said yesterday.

Nipit says he has met with Panthep Pourpongpan, a leader and spokesman for the PAD, to discuss political strategy. He said the Democrats and the PAD had a common ground and it was now time for the two sides to join forces to fight the regime.

Joining the meeting was Democrat secretary-general Chalermchai Srion, party-list MP Kasit Piromya and Khunying Kalaya Sophonpanich.

According to Nipit, the Democrats and the PAD decided to resume talks as they believed current movements founded to fight "Thaksin's regime" lacked unity and political clout.

"We have come to the conclusion that we must fight Thaksin's regime together, but at the moment some political groups are restricted by their own rules, or by other restraints such as bail conditions and the restrictions on PAD leaders to give public speeches," Nipit said. "Democrat MPs don't want to resign, but if things return to a situation similar to the political crisis of 2006, they may decide to. We will therefore fight Thaksin's regime both in Parliament and on the streets."

In other developments, three influential private-sector organisations agreed to join the government-initiated political reform council.

Deputy Prime Minister Varathep Ratanakorn on Thursday sought a meeting with representatives of the Joint Standing Committee on Commerce, Industry and Banking. The committee consists of the Thai Chamber of Commerce, the Federation of Thai Industries (FTI) and the Thai Bankers Association.

In a statement, FTI chairman Payungsak Chartsutipol said the federation would join the reform initiative. "If political reform is properly planned, the economy will prosper as it has done in the United States and the United Kingdom. This will also improve people's quality of life," he said.

Isara Vongkusolkit, chairman of the Thai Chamber of Commerce, said the economy could not be detached from politics and stability was important for long-term business planning. He noted that it was difficult to explain the current situation to businesspeople, investors or ambassadors and believed that dialogue was a good start to achieving reconciliation.

Thai Bankers Association secretary-general Twatchai Yongkittikul asserted that the current political impasse was of grave concern to the private sector.

There were fears that conflict would linger and affect the country's prospects when the ASEAN Economic Community kicks off in 2015. This period should be supported, he said. Once unity was restored, it would bolster the country's economic prospects.

Reform council

A number of influential political figures have already joined the reform council. They are former prime minister Banharn Silapa-archa, patriarch and chief adviser of the coalition Chart Thai Pattana Party; former deputy prime minister Suwat Liptapanlop, de facto leader of the coalition Chart Pattana Party; ex-PM Chavalit Yongchaiyudh, who retains close ties with the ruling Pheu Thai Party; former Democrat Party leader Bhichai Rattakul; former Senate Speaker Ukrit Mongkolnavin, who chairs the government-appointed Independent National Rule of Law Commission and has aired views similar to those of the government; Senate Speaker Nikom Wairatpanij, who has close ties with Pheu Thai politicians; Kramol Tongdhamachart, former head of the Constitutional Court that ruled in favour of Thaksin in 2001 in the asset-concealment case; former House Speaker Uthai Pimchaichon; Sontaya Kunplome, culture minister and Phalang Chon leader; opposition Bhum Jai Thai Party leader Anutin Charnvirakul; 2006 coup leader General Sonthi Boonyaratglin; and Gothom Arya, director of Mahidol University's Research Centre for Peace Building.

Among those who have decided not to join the reform forum are social critic Prawase Wasi, who said he was far too old. The opposition Democrats will also not join the forum.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-08-17

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was out for dinner last night and on the way back my Thai companions started singing a song with much gusto. When I asked them what it was about they said it was about Yingluck being like a crab, she's got legs, got two eyes, but she ain't got a head ( brain ).

A bit harsh I thought. She has got a head, she just doesn't use it much. coffee1.gif

• Like 2

I was out for dinner last night and on the way back my Thai companions started singing a song with much gusto. When I asked them what it was about they said it was about Yingluck being like a crab, she's got legs, got two eyes, but she ain't got a head ( brain ).

A bit harsh I thought. She has got a head, she just doesn't use it much. coffee1.gif

Do not forget the PMs nickname is Poo (crab)

• Like 1

TS might be PM again one day. IVO the kinds of measures being taken vis-à-vis the internet, how much do you really want to post here, or anywhere else, concerning him?

There will be some shocked TV forum members if that happened. We have learned over the years from serious observers of Thai politics that "it has moved beyond Thaksin", and "Thaksin was just a catalyst", or even its a "grassroots movement of prai against amart".

Didn't the great man himself even say that he would not return to politics? And now there are posters talking about him returning to be PM one day?

Reform council

A number of influential political figures have already joined the reform council. They are former prime minister Banharn Silapa-archa, patriarch and chief adviser of the coalition Chart Thai Pattana Party; former deputy prime minister Suwat Liptapanlop, de facto leader of the coalition Chart Pattana Party; ex-PM Chavalit Yongchaiyudh, who retains close ties with the ruling Pheu Thai Party; former Democrat Party leader Bhichai Rattakul; former Senate Speaker Ukrit Mongkolnavin, who chairs the government-appointed Independent National Rule of Law Commission and has aired views similar to those of the government; Senate Speaker Nikom Wairatpanij, who has close ties with Pheu Thai politicians; Kramol Tongdhamachart, former head of the Constitutional Court that ruled in favour of Thaksin in 2001 in the asset-concealment case; former House Speaker Uthai Pimchaichon; Sontaya Kunplome, culture minister and Phalang Chon leader; opposition Bhum Jai Thai Party leader Anutin Charnvirakul; 2006 coup leader General Sonthi Boonyaratglin; and Gothom Arya, director of Mahidol University's Research Centre for Peace Building.

Among those who have decided not to join the reform forum are social critic Prawase Wasi, who said he was far too old. The opposition Democrats will also not join the forum.

sounds like a family reunion..

TS might be PM again one day. IVO the kinds of measures being taken vis-à-vis the internet, how much do you really want to post here, or anywhere else, concerning him?

There will be some shocked TV forum members if that happened. We have learned over the years from serious observers of Thai politics that "it has moved beyond Thaksin", and "Thaksin was just a catalyst", or even its a "grassroots movement of prai against amart".

Didn't the great man himself even say that he would not return to politics? And now there are posters talking about him returning to be PM one day?

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you didn't realise that you'll find just one poster, singular, who has suggested that, the one you quoted.

Hardly a groundswell of popular opinion is it?

Just a diversion from the shock that some TV Forum members should feel about there beloved democrat party being linked with the PAD contingent (again) despite all those denials. Still, what do you expect when you get the opposition Leader heading the march of PAD supporters on parliament (well, almost parliament,until they realised they had all left the kettle boiling at home or something like that and shuffled off. No matter what their acronym is , it's the same old PAD "warriors").

It will be interesting to see if Abhisit has anything to say about this especially seeing his old "Foreign Minister" Kasit is back with his old buddies and ready to “fight Thaksin's regime both in Parliament and on the streets”

Thats not Reconciliation Talk, that’s Fighting Talk.

Edited by jabek
  • Like 2

diehard60. post # 14
I think she is doing a pretty good job, at least she has not told the army to shoot people.

Can you, will you recall that her brother was an open backer of the Red Shirts vocally and financially as proven on many a short and not so short video clip in the worlds social media sites at the time of the civil unrest arson hospital occupation looting and general terrorist acts? He was certainly vocal in telling people how to act violently while he and his clan were off shopping in the worlds high end shopping malls.

Seem to recall Tak Bai, the victims there died from weakness as a result of fasting over Ramadan. Who was the Prime Minister then?

Seem to recall a prominent lawyer who was opposing the then government going missing too, poor soul has still not be found,

Guess who was the Prime minister then?

The truth is indeed twixt two opposing factions which you need to view from both sides and then in the middle to get the clear picture

Edited by siampolee
  • Like 2

I think she is doing a pretty good job, at least dhe has not told the army to shoot people.

She doesn't have to as her red army is free to do so with impunity evidently.

• Like 2

Talk is cheap wait until the verdict is in and we know it will be a white wash job.

Then see how many are in the streets.

It will be many more people than yellow shirts /democrats and white mask people.

You are probably right, this is a Thai issue and the Thai handle it the Thai way.

Talk is cheap wait until the verdict is in and we know it will be a white wash job.

It will be many more people than yellow shirts /democrats and white mask people.

You are probably right, this is a Thai issue and the Thai handle it the Thai way.

I believe it is referred to as Thainess.

It is just hypocrisy to criticise the Democrats for linking up with the PAD when the PTP have already linked up with the red shirts and are using them to intimidate any group bold enough to oppose Thaksin.

The PAD leaders are under court orders to refrain from demonstrating so their grass roots could use a bit of leadership. It is interesting that the PAD leaders are obeying the court orders when the red shirt leaders have totally ignored theirs.

Yes, this is not reconciliation because the PTP (Thaksin) version is 'or else'.

• Like 1

PAD are a spent force. I know a strip where people fly model aircraft if they can muster what's left for an occupation.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Don't believe it.

If they can get sondhi back on board they have a chance. He might be an odious little man, but boy can he lead a crowd. I guess this is the last roll if e the dice.

Note soponpanich. She was there front and centre at the very beginning of pad, and slinked into the background. What better than if you need cash to fund protests than to have a bank available.

The old money is coming to the fight.

• Like 2

A bit harsh I thought. She has got a head, she just doesn't use it much. Posted Image

I think she is doing a pretty good job, at least dhe has not told the army to shoot people.

Did anybody?

I thought the nearest anybody got was to allow the army to defend themselves against self-professed armed demonstrators.

Anyway, your comment is not based on any fact. Who knows what happens behind the scenes other than the fugitive criminal, former PM hiding like a coward in a life of luxury obtained while he was in his beloved homeland.

Somebody needs to defend Thailand from Thaksin's implementation of democracy. Every little helps.

What's the saying - 'all it needs for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing'. Somebody needs to represent the good people of Thailand.

• Like 1

Did anybody?

I thought the nearest anybody got was to allow the army to defend themselves against self-professed armed demonstrators.

Anyway, your comment is not based on any fact. Who knows what happens behind the scenes other than the fugitive criminal, former PM hiding like a coward in a life of luxury obtained while he was in his beloved homeland.

Somebody needs to defend Thailand from Thaksin's implementation of democracy. Every little helps.

What's the saying - 'all it needs for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing'. Somebody needs to represent the good people of Thailand.

Get you along to the protests then.

Their ranks need swelling.

An elected government via a landslide election victory is being referred to as the "Thaksin regime."

• Like 1

A bit harsh I thought. She has got a head, she just doesn't use it much. Posted Image

Did anybody?

Get you along to the protests then.

Their ranks need swelling.

An elected government via a landslide election victory is being referred to as the "Thaksin regime."

An elected government failing to govern democratically.

A landslide victory to ruin Thailand?

I'm just a guest remember, a guest who is free to express an opinion about what I perceive to be happening around me. A guest who doesn't see an electoral result as a justification for destroying democracy, as well as destroying rule of law in a country which deserves better - IMHO

I wonder what the red apologists see as thailand's future if this government's actions remain unchallenged.

I would genuinely like to know.

• Like 1

I think she is doing a pretty good job, at least she has not told the army to shoot people.

Pretty good job? cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Who ordered the army to shoot anyone?

• Like 1

Wishful thinking in my humble opinion