Nong Khai to Vientiane

Briggsy

What is an economical and comfortable way to travel from the Friendship Bridge to an already-booked hotel in Vientiane? What kind of price should I be paying? ( 2 people, some hand luggage and one suitcase )

On the way back, what is a good way of getting to Udon Airport? The less hassle, the better. I am flying with Nok Air.

I phoned Nok to try and get on their bus but like M&M, "you get just one shot" and I booked to Udon on their website and not to Vientiane so as I didn't buy "the packaaayyge" I have to find my own way to and from Vientiane.

1. 150-200 baht taxi. Immediately. Just after crossing Lao border.

2. Was this friday 16 Aug. Just after crossing Lao border I immediately bump into 2 thai mini buses going Border - Udon Bus Station - Airport. Yes, on Lao side. I was pay 4000 kip first for bridge cross, then 200 baht to airport. Driver wait me until I cross Thai Immigration. Whole trip about 1 h 15 min.

Going to Udon is perfect idea. Train, Bus, Plane - anything what you like is here. Can check VIP seats in buses at bus station, and if they sold out, just go with same driver to airport. I catch AirAsia flight 5.50 pm so 6.45 I at Don Mueang already.

Ok, thanks so, taxi to hotel from bridge to hotel, total 200 Baht not 200 Baht per person.

On the way back, bridge to Udon Airport, 200 Baht per person. Or maybe bus from Vientiane all the way to Udon and then minibus from Udon Bus Station to Airport @ 50 Baht per person.

I will see what I can find.

Well, I'm pinching pennies and wouldn't consider a taxi from the embassy to the airport for example. There are frequent buses from Nong Khai to Udon and you can get a taxi to the airport from there.

Nok Air offers a shuttle bus to the border or also Vientiane.

But some 50 meters from the Customs at the Laos side, a 25 Baht shuttle bues donated by Japan takes you to Vientiane's bus station for 25 Baht. You can sit down...

From there the Thai embassy is a 30 minutes walk away - I would negotiate a Tuk Tuk for 100 B. Just make sure you are not taken to some hotel where the driver gets a kickback. (I found staying near the embassy has its advantages, unless you like to go on a pub crawl by the river).

This is not about the embassy. I am not going anywhere near the Thai Embassy. This is not a visa run. This has nothing to do with the Thai Embassy.

Please do not make any further references to visa runs or the Thai Embassy in Vientiane.

• Like 1

So

1. Udon Airport to Bridge 200 Baht per person, minibus service direct from airport.

2. Cost of bridge crossing ( Maybe 25 Baht per person )

3 Bridge (Lao side) to Vientiane. Either 200 Baht fare direct to hotel or 2x 25 Baht = 50 Baht on the donated Japanese bus + skylab/jumbo fare from bus station to hotel

4a. Either skylab/jumbo to Vientiane bus station to Udon bus station and then minibus to Udon Airport (60 B + 2 x 100 B + 2 x 50 B = 360 B) or

4b Taxi from Vientiane to bridge and negotiate taxi from bridge to Udon Airport (maybe 2 x 100 B + 2 x 200 B = 600 B. I think 4a will win.

Update from Laos.

Minibus from airport to bridge 200 Baht per person.

All Thai side immigration staff unsmiling.

Approached by touts wanting 600 Baht (for 2 people) to go to Vientiane. I offered them 100 Baht. Both parties derided each other's price.

15 Baht per person to cross the bridge. Bus old, overfull, no luggage space and very hot.

Laos visa on arrival processed within 5 to 10 minutes. Fee requested and paid for in dollars. smile.png

Laos immigration smiling. smile.png

Girlfriend stopped and had to buy a ticket for 5 Baht. (Not sure what for but I think alll Thai passport holders get this.)

Taxi touts seemed a bit thin on the ground so ended up paying 250 Baht for 2 people for a beat-up old Toyota. Driver had no idea where hotel was. Fortunately I had google mapped it. Probably could have paid a lot less but didn't try too hard.

Will get the international bus back which appears to be 22,000 Kip about 90 Baht per person to Udon.

Update from Laos.

Minibus from airport to bridge 200 Baht per person.

All Thai side immigration staff unsmiling.

Approached by touts wanting 600 Baht (for 2 people) to go to Vientiane. I offered them 100 Baht. Both parties derided each other's price.

15 Baht per person to cross the bridge. Bus old, overfull, no luggage space and very hot.

Laos visa on arrival processed within 5 to 10 minutes. Fee requested and paid for in dollars. smile.png

Laos immigration smiling. smile.png

Girlfriend stopped and had to buy a ticket for 5 Baht. (Not sure what for but I think alll Thai passport holders get this.)

Taxi touts seemed a bit thin on the ground so ended up paying 250 Baht for 2 people for a beat-up old Toyota. Driver had no idea where hotel was. Fortunately I had google mapped it. Probably could have paid a lot less but didn't try too hard.

Will get the international bus back which appears to be 22,000 Kip about 90 Baht per person to Udon.

useful to know.

would appreciate a similar report on the return leg assuming you get the bus through to Udon and then on to airport.

think it is Talat Sao bus station in Vientiane but schedules, total length of journey, need to buy ticket in advance etc.

assume you can also do this route from Udon to Vientiane but also know it is not safe to assume too much here.

thanks

Return leg:

Filthy tuk - tuk from Wat Mixai to Talat Sao bus station; managed to get the best price of an exhorbitant 80 Baht. We would have walked but had one 11 kg suitcase + hand luggage. One nasty tuk-tuk driver demanded 200 Baht (50,000 Kip) in a Phuket-esque menacing manner. It's only a km! They are not very nice there. I have encountered this before.

International bus from Vientiane to Udon Bus Station 22,000 Kip per pax which is around 90 Baht. But you'll pay around 100 Baht per pax if you pay in Baht or dollars. Good value anyway.

Udon Bus Station to Udon Airport. Air-conditioned taxi, 150 Baht per trip, direct from the bus station. There didn't seem to be any other options available.

As an aside, it was possible to use the free Nok Air wi-fi in both Don Meuang and Udon airports provided you have a booking number.

Hope this is of some help to somebody.