Galaxy s4 Chrome

A1Str8

I got this Samsung s4 not long ago and i am really happy with it except one thing.

That damn Chrome freezes and force closes all the time.

The device comes with the app pre installed, and i really dig the layout and otherwise smooth operation of Google Chrome but

i was forced to install Firefox because i got annoyed by the constant freezes.

Any suggestions, what could be the problem and what i could to to make it work properly are welcome.

I already went to immigration, but they couldnt help. w00t.gif

Try clearing the browser cache, find Chrome in the apps manager and do it from there.

totster smile.png

Thanks!

Unfortunately it didnt help.

Meanwhile i am looking at the current size of Firefox - exceeds 300MB, though i installed it maybe a month ago.

Chrome, i ve been using it for like 3months and still under 80MB.

Mozilla should have let me know that if i plan to use their browser, i better have an sd dedicated to that only.

Try Dolphin.

What version of Chrome do you have?

I have a GNEX 4/Android 4.3/Chrome 28.0.1500.94, but I only use Dolphin. No FCs when I launch Chrome; I also know several folks with SGS4's and none have mentioned this issue.

What version of Android do you have?

I assume you've updated all your apps. including Chrome?

Try Dolphin.

What version of Chrome do you have?

I have a GNEX 4/Android 4.3/Chrome 28.0.1500.94, but I only use Dolphin. No FCs when I launch Chrome; I also know several folks with SGS4's and none have mentioned this issue.

What version of Android do you have?

I assume you've updated all your apps. including Chrome?

Android 4.2.2, and Chrome is the same as you use - the newest version.

I regularly update it and the others, i also installed all available firmware upgrades, but the problem persists.

I have tried all those..Dolphin, Maxthon, etc. Good ones but i would rather use Chrome

Never worked properly and I tried to solve the problem before taking it back to the shop. But i think I am going to do it tomorrow because I dont see any other solution.

I cannot uninstall the app only the updates.

Thank you for your help

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I've got a S4 also which came with Chrome installed. I use Chrome occasionally and it doesn't freeze up. The version of Chrome on the S4 right now is Ver 28.0.1500.94. Maybe some other app is causing a conflict.

I've got a S4 also which came with Chrome installed. I use Chrome occasionally and it doesn't freeze up. The version of Chrome on the S4 right now is Ver 28.0.1500.94. Maybe some other app is causing a conflict.

I see. Thanks for your suggestion. I will look into it.

Well actually yesterday i took the phone back to the shop where i previously bought it.

The thai way of dealing with the problem was as it follows:

We were smiling a lot, asked each other how we were doing at that moment then one guy showed up and after explaining the issue to him that my Chrome browser

freezes and force closes a lot, he started observing the phone. I turned away and was observing the girls walking by assuming that he was doing his best to fix the problem meanwhile. But when i turned back, he was checking out my launcher themes. I didnt say anything but then he went on to long tap on the icons on my screen just to watch the red X appearing in the top right corner of the icons.

Then another guy followed, he looked like a real problem solver too. He opened the browser and next time i looked at what he was doing, he was checking out the last website i visited, and was on the customer service page already. I have no idea what the icons or the customer service and shipping policies of certain companies have to do with my browser and one might think that i am exaggerating about what they did but son i am dead serious.

So i switched to Firefox a while ago anyway and i like it but i would have one question:

does anybody know why this browser(Ffox)doesnt display thai characters?

Well, i assume it does i just dont know how to make it work.

Since its an annoying issue, the one with the correct, helpful answer is eligible for a free beer.

Thank you

I thought your post was going to end with the statement "the shop did a factory reset" which all too often is their trouble shooting technique...but hey, many times it does fix the problem... then the person has to reload his applications which is easy nowdays with Google Play and with Google servers backing up a your contact information.

This morning I got a firmware update on my S4 42MB in size. You might want to ensure you have this latest update installed also...maybe it will fix your problem.

Sent from my Samsung S4 (GT-I9500)

I thought your post was going to end with the statement "the shop did a factory reset" which all too often is their trouble shooting technique...but hey, many times it does fix the problem... then the person has to reload his applications which is easy nowdays with Google Play and with Google servers backing up a your contact information.

This morning I got a firmware update on my S4 42MB in size. You might want to ensure you have this latest update installed also...maybe it will fix your problem.

Thanks for the advice.

I am curious about that firmware update, was it an OTA update or you used Kies? I dont use Kies at all, I do well without it. So far I have received two OTA firmware updates but I havent heard of this latest 42mb update.

Yeah they always come with that factory reset thing. I did it already and didnt help. I am pretty sure that one of the other apps cause the crash but I dont know which one. Besides I had the same problem in the beginning, before I installed anything.

Sent from one of my devices using the internet

It was via OTA. My wife's S4 got the 42MB firmware update also. The Android Ver. 4.2.2 stayed the same but the kernel version updated to a 25 Jul date...before this update I think the kernel version was dated 1 Jul.

Sent from my tablet

• Like 1

I played around with a colleagues SGS4 today - firmware was updated last night - and had no issues with Chrome. Can you de-install it, then re-install it? Maybe stop all other apps. Do you have enough memory available? I searched XDA and didn't see a lot of threads re: FCs with Chrome.

Chrome (on Android) used to blow, but this (current) version seems to be pretty good. Still wouldn't use it - Dolphin is just too good - but still better than a sharp stick in the eye.

post-9615-0-25157900-1376995373_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I played around with a colleagues SGS4 today - firmware was updated last night - and had no issues with Chrome. Can you de-install it, then re-install it? Maybe stop all other apps. Do you have enough memory available? I searched XDA and didn't see a lot of threads re: FCs with Chrome.

Chrome (on Android) used to blow, but this (current) version seems to be pretty good. Still wouldn't use it - Dolphin is just too good - but still better than a sharp stick in the eye.

I cannot uninstall the Chrome as it was pre-installed by the manufacturer.

All i can do is install or uninstall the updates. Or disable Chrome, that actually helps when it gets me mad i just disable it and calm down afterwards

when there is no Chrome is sight.

I did a lot of research on it as well - including XDA, didnt really see anybody with this problem.

I have noticed that it tends to Fc when a lot of tabs are opened.

Most of my memory is available by the way, but even it if it wasnt i dont think it should pose a problem because i use Ffox as well, which is more memory consuming and requires more space too, but that one works like a charm.

Dolphin is indeed good....I use it on my Onda 9.7" tablet the great majority of the time...on my S4 I just use the standard Android browser and sometimes Chrome.

Both of you seem to stay away from Chrome and use other browsers. I would be curious why, because as far as i am concerned Chrome is a very good browser, and beats most of the competition to stone age.

I'm just a basic surfer of the internet when it comes to browsers...as long as the browser takes me to the websites/pages I want to go to quickly without problems and the bookmarks/menu structure is user friendly I'm happy. And when it comes to browsers on smartphones/tablets all of the browsers are 4 cylinder versions in comparison to their 8 cylinder version used on personal computers. I've used/played with Chrome and FireFox on my PC also....they are no faster than IE10 and I'm just use to using/happy with IE.

I like chrome for the reason it syncs all the bookmarks and browsing history on every device I use, very handy.

I'd try to un-install it and reinstall, it normally fixes the bad behavior, but I would also root my phone to begin with.

There is a new version of (Android) chrome: 29.0.1547.59

Not sure if it might address your issue(s)?

Thanks, I got the new version already. Doesn't help.

But I solved the issue already, I downloaded the new version of Dolphin.

Not any worse than Chrome anyway, I just miss the feature that the last post addresses: that Chrome automatically syncs bookmarks and stuff.

I like chrome for the reason it syncs all the bookmarks and browsing history on every device I use, very handy.

I'd try to un-install it and reinstall, it normally fixes the bad behavior, but I would also root my phone to begin with.

Thanks. I cant uninstall it coz its installed by the manufacturer.

But rooting is a good idea I might do it.

As I mentioned before, maybe it one of your Apps you loaded after getting the phone. Maybe on one of those days your are bored you could uninstall an App or two you installed after you got the phone--and then also restart your phone to ensure all affects of the uninstalled Apps is removed---and then see how Chrome acts. Since it so easy to reinstall Apps from Google Play it might be worth a try in continuing to investigate your Chrome problem. Good luck.

I think you’d have to root your device in order to successfully de-install Chrome. I guess with JB (4.2/4.3) Chrome is the stock or default browser. I am running 4.3 on several devices, along with, more or less, stock 4.3 ( gapps_20130813 ), rooted, and can wipe data, de-install and re-install Chrome, using TiBu.

The SGS4 does have a staggering amount Drosswaretm, maybe some of these are interfering with Chrome? Do you use the “Eye Tracking” and “Hand Waving”, and God knows what other “apps”? Maybe close those and see if Chrome works.

All that said, as it has never worked for you, why is it that you seem intent on using it? I’m guessing you might use it on your desktop? And there certainly is some synergy there, but the look, feel usage is quite a bit different on Android.

I have been using Chrome/Android, mostly as a result of this thread, and have to say that it is getting much better with each release. The UI, with the fanfold, is impressive.

Drosswaretm

Group Play: Share Music, Share Picture, Share Document,

Play Games

Story Album, S Translator, Optical Reader

Samsung Smart Scroll, Samsung Smart Pause, Air Gesture,

Air View

Samsung Hub, ChatON (Voice/Video Call, Share screen,

3-way calling) Samsung WatchON

S Travel (Trip Advisor), S Voice™ Drive, S Health

Samsung Adapt Display, Samsung Adapt Sound, Auto adjust touch sensitivity (Glove friendly)

Safety Assistance, Samsung Link, Screen Mirroring

Samsung KNOX (B2B only)

Sorry yes I meant the phone would have to be rooted 1st to remove those special, preinstalled apps. There are many other advantages in rooting so I wouldn't hesitate doing it when getting a new phone. Waiting for the Note 3. :)

As I mentioned before, maybe it one of your Apps you loaded after getting the phone. Maybe on one of those days your are bored you could uninstall an App or two you installed after you got the phone--and then also restart your phone to ensure all affects of the uninstalled Apps is removed---and then see how Chrome acts. Since it so easy to reinstall Apps from Google Play it might be worth a try in continuing to investigate your Chrome problem. Good luck.

Yes I ve always thought the same that that could be the problem.

So I took the time to figure it out. I have come to the conclusion that its probably my launcher

that for some reason Chrome doesn't want to work together with. I use Go ex and have no idea what

is wrong. I bought an s4 for my girl not long ago. She actually wanted another one but I talked her into

it with the evil back thought that I am going to install the same damn programs including the launcher

on it to figure out what's wrong which I did.

Didnt surprise me that on her phone there were no freezes or any problems.

So now that I seem to understand which apps interfere with each other, I still dont know why they do so.

I think you’d have to root your device in order to successfully de-install Chrome. I guess with JB (4.2/4.3) Chrome is the stock or default browser. I am running 4.3 on several devices, along with, more or less, stock 4.3 ( gapps_20130813 ), rooted, and can wipe data, de-install and re-install Chrome, using TiBu.

The SGS4 does have a staggering amount Drosswaretm, maybe some of these are interfering with Chrome? Do you use the “Eye Tracking” and “Hand Waving”, and God knows what other “apps”? Maybe close those and see if Chrome works.

All that said, as it has never worked for you, why is it that you seem intent on using it? I’m guessing you might use it on your desktop? And there certainly is some synergy there, but the look, feel usage is quite a bit different on Android.

I have been using Chrome/Android, mostly as a result of this thread, and have to say that it is getting much better with each release. The UI, with the fanfold, is impressive.

Drosswaretm

Group Play: Share Music, Share Picture, Share Document, 

Play Games

Story Album, S Translator, Optical Reader

Samsung Smart Scroll, Samsung Smart Pause, Air Gesture, 

Air View

Samsung Hub, ChatON (Voice/Video Call, Share screen, 

3-way calling) Samsung WatchON

S Travel (Trip Advisor), S Voice™ Drive, S Health

Samsung Adapt Display, Samsung Adapt Sound, Auto adjust touch sensitivity (Glove friendly)

Safety Assistance, Samsung Link, Screen Mirroring

Samsung KNOX (B2B only)

Yes I would def need to root the phone in order to reinstall Chrome.

Besides I insist on using it because I just love that browser. In my opinion Chrome is a very good browser with very smooth operation and as I have mentioned it earlier I like the ability to sync bookmarks and the rest of my stuff with pc. Since my business is done online mainly, I need reliable devices and to be able to browse as effectively as possible.

Thats why I got the s4 and I am satisfied with it. Its a really good device and i say that even after my problems with Chrome as no system is 100% perfect.

You have mentioned that you use different devices. Just out of curiosity what kind of devices you have? Are they all rooted?

I dont use any of those additional features like eye tracking and stuff like that but I do think that a few of them are actually useful just need a little polishing.

Sorry yes I meant the phone would have to be rooted 1st to remove those special, preinstalled apps. There are many other advantages in rooting so I wouldn't hesitate doing it when getting a new phone. Waiting for the Note 3. :)

Yes I have been thinking about this rooting.

I am aware of the advantages and of course both rooted and unrooted phones have their advantages and disadvantages at least in my opinion.

My only question related to rooting would be: if the phone has any problems I mean hardware problems so it would need repair. What kind of shop you could take it to? The repair shops of the manufacturer of the phone would do it or they dont provide service for rooted ones?

I have come to the conclusion that its probably my launcher

Yes, it probably would have helped if you had mentioned you were using a 3rd party launcher, in your original post. rolleyes.gif

You can un-root (de-root?) a phone in the event you need to make it look "original".

If you want to use a decent ad-blocker (AdAway) you need to root the device.

Edited by lomatopo

I have come to the conclusion that its probably my launcher

Yes, it probably would have helped if you had mentioned you were using a 3rd party launcher, in your original post. rolleyes.gif

You can un-root (de-root?) a phone in the event you need to make it look "original".

If you want to use a decent ad-blocker (AdAway) you need to root the device.

Yes you are right, I totally forgot the launcher.

But I still dont understand why it causes a crash as it doesnt happen on the other s4 that I have mentioned.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice.

Edited by A1Str8