Homeless foreigners in Thailand 'lack assistance'

webfact

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Homelessness is not a simple issue. I doubt that many are mentally ill, but for sure there will be some. But they will get help because they attract attention. But many homeless who have guilt,shame and depression about their situation, as others have said, are too reluctant to make contact with their families. For them deportation is the answer as they have gone past the point of making any decisions for themselves. In their own countries they will have more choice, and probably won't remain homeless.

The homeless drug and alcohol abusers are a bigger problem, and are more likely to have mental illness as well as various physical health problems. They may well die here, and are more likely to need thailands' hospitals and be a burden on the community, especially if they have HIV. What to do with them ? Mandatory short term rehab. in Thannabrook the no holds barred Thai rehab centre, then home, with some costs coming form whatever social security they will receive.

The interesting thing is that the numbers are probably not great, but it would seem there hasn't been a proper survey done yet. It's also the responsibilty of the person's country to 'assist' them. It says that on the inside of most passport covers. But it seems increasingly the case that embassies and consulates are not that keen on 'asisting' their own nationals anymore. Australia is about to charge a fee for doing this. Maybe if some donor nations funded a small scale project via IOM or CARITAS or another international relief agency that would help. But for sure Thailand will continue to ignore the problem

I find it hard to have sympathy for anyone who ends up homeless in Thailand.

They must have had money at one time to get to Thailand in the first place and they should have enough sense to return to their own country before the money run out.

Or maybe they are hiding in Thailand because they are scared of being arrested or have debts or responsibilities back home they are trying to avoid?

No matter what the reason Thailand should not be responsible for looking after these people and they should be put in the care of thier home country Embassy in Bangkok and sent back home as soon as possible.

Thailand has more then enough of its own poor people to care for without the extra burdon of having stupid foreigners here that should have known better and gone back when they had the chance.

I couldn't agree more, what a silly idea.

We are not talking about 5 year old kids here, these are grown men who should have enough sense to know better.

Let the buyer beware. ...if you get duped by a Thai women then good luck to her and poor fool you

quote name="copa8" post="7332061" timestamp="1390446805"]

There would be no homeless foreigners if Thailand had a decent law preventing Thai girls from cheat partners,

nomination for one of the dumbest posts here.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 1 year later...

Who's going to pay for their flights back home?

Who's going to take care of them when they're back in their home countries?

The tax payers again, of course!

Tough luck to the lot of the I say. Leave them where they are! Who knows, but maybe they're happier being poor and broke in Thailand than back in the West.