Bangkok convenience store refuses to help beaten and bloody technical school student

webfact

VIDEO: On Nut convenience store refuses to help beaten and bloody technical school student [Graphic]
By Coconuts Bangkok

screen_shot_2556-08-19_at_5.17.21_pm_0.p

BANGKOK: -- CCTV footage of a injured technical school student, who was was locked out in the street after he crawled up to a convenience store and asked for help, has sparked an online debate in Thailand about public sympathy.

The shocking incident, which was captured on video, shows a mob attacking the lone, unidentified teenager under On Nut BTS station on August 17.

In the video, the student appears shirtless and soaked in his own blood after the beating. He attempted to knock on the store’s door several times, asking store clerks to let him in and give him help. However, he wound up sitting on the ground in front of the store alone until a team of rescuers arrived.

VIDEO WARNING!! Graphic

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/08/19/video-nut-convenience-store-refuses-help-beaten-and-bloody-technical-school-student

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-08-20

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know the feeling son, I went flying over the handlebar of my bike at 80kph last night and bounced down the road in heavy traffic. Not a singular Thai stopped to help me.

TexasRanger pointed out on a thread I opened about it on the general forum that you can potentially get jailed for giving first aid.

What kind of brain damaged moronic thinking is that? It's disgraceful.

Don't think people in the West are any more sympathetic. My elderly mother fell over on a footpath a couple of months ago on the gold coast. She cut her face and was bleeding profusely. Not one person stopped to help, and one guy looked and actually sped away in his car. So let's not start with the Thai bashing...

Must be an Asia Pacific thing then.

My wife was stabbed within a quarter inch of her heart by thai ex-husband in front of many people and crawled across the street where finally a security guard at zoo helped. "Doesn't involve me" is the disconnect and way. Its rooted in culture and religeous roots as well from becoming aloof from the world's ways and pain but that can mannifest into the uncaring outward appearance/reality. Remember the comment someone made when it was observed that a Thai hotel owner ran into the tsunami waters in Patong to rescue a farang? "He must haven't paid his bill yet".

• Like 1

If you look at the last few seconds of the video you will see a very large pool of blood around the victims head not a good sign. I wonder if he lived? You clearly see him pass out a little earlier. I wonder what the EMTs are going? Wondering what blood is? Lets get him loaded on a back board and transported stat.

Three wise monkeys in the store? Shocking but not unexpected. Echoing another topic on here, the complete indifference of a lot of Thai's to any problems or issues but their own or people they know well.

It's not the Thailand of even 3 or 4 years ago anymore, is it?

Wonder what is up with cell phone video that starts the video showing a motorbike laying in the street. Was there a hit and run? Might explain why the medical crew got their so fast.

Just took a look a the video and looks like the actual beat down only lasted a few seconds, so not surprised no one jumped in

Also saw there was a bystander that came and talked to the kid

Also some one must have called the paramedics immediately, as they sowed up within a minute of the time the beat down ended

Based upon the above comments, expected to see him laying there for a long time with people just walking by him an ignoring him laying in a pool of blood

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

Despicable!

...but not any more despicable, than some of the (usual) comments here!

"wasn't so bad- help arrived at once"..."who knows if he has HIV..."..."I would have done the same..."

For once, I agree: not only in Thailand!

QED!

Just took a look a the video and looks like the actual beat down only lasted a few seconds, so not surprised no one jumped in

Also saw there was a bystander that came and talked to the kid

Also some one must have called the paramedics immediately, as they sowed up within a minute of the time the beat down ended

Based upon the above comments, expected to see him laying there for a long time with people just walking by him an ignoring him laying in a pool of blood

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Its a very serious problem here in Bangkok. Vocational students in their late teens concealing machetes down the front of their trousers.

They are everywhere here. They even try to conceal weapons inside the doors of my shophouse in Thonburi... Theyre idiots but the cops do little to stop them.

No money in it for them obviously.

Remember the American who was slaughtered on Sukhumvit with a sword or machete a few weeks back.

In Thailand it doesnt pay for farangs to stick their head above the trench.

• Like 1

Off-topic posts deleted.

Please be aware that citing examples from 30 years ago does not reflect the current situation in many countries. A number of countries are covered under what is referred to as the Good Samaritan Laws, which prevent legal ramification for those rendering aid to injured people.

Please stay on topic.

When I first arrived here in 1994 a Thai friend told me if I saw an accident do not stop to help as it could get me in big trouble. I was shocked at this statement. But after a while I fould this to be good advice.

I must live in a different world to most of you. I find people are very willing to help in any situation when they can. Here the clerks in the store probably felt it was not safe to let him in which is understandable. Didn’t the rescuers turn up quickly? Well done to the team of rescuers.

Wait a few years until you know the wrinkles of this culture and/or understand Thai language.

FYI The rescuers are from different foundations who compete for "customers" IE: victims of crime and/or accident. Those foundations are ferocious and have resorted to shoot (yes, firearms) other foundation rescuers to discourage them from getting there first. They do get paid for rescuing. Thais donate huge sums of money to their favorite foundations to "make merit" and secure their passage to heaven once they die.

Live, learn and you will understand that it is not just Thai bashing.

• Like 1

To help, or not to help, that's the question...

a) According to numerous forum topics, if you try to help a person during or after a fight, you are utterly stupid and deserve the beating that will descend upon you.

According to many responses in this thread, if you don't help you are a disgrace to mankind at large and society as a whole.

My opinion is, if you come across such a situation, try to assess it first before deciding on either a) or, and just follow your own conscience and common sense, and screw any other opinion, mine included.

Edited by klauskunkel
  • Like 1