Egyptian protests to slightly affect Thailand's tourism industry

webfact

Egyptian protests to slightly affect Thailand's tourism industry

eg.jpg

BANGKOK, 20 August 2013 (NNT) – The Tourism and Sports Minister says the current protests in Egypt may have a slight impact on the tourism industry of Thailand but not the whole picture as Thailand sees at least 84,000 tourists each day.

According to Tourism and Sports Minister Somsak Pureesrisak, the current political situation in Egypt may have a slight impact on the Thai tourism sector as the number of Egyptian travelers could drop in the future.

However, he affirmed that the industry will not be affected as a whole as there are still a number of tourists from other nearby countries who are still interested in coming to Thailand. At present, Thailand sees around 40,000 Egyptian tourists each year.

The minister said that until now, Egyptian protests have not had a major impact on Thailand’s overall tourism industry, adding that there are around 84,000 travelers visiting the country each day even though some embassies issued a warning to their citizens regarding political demonstrations in some areas of Bangkok earlier this month.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-08-20 footer_n.gif

I take it that highly speculative and caveated announcements are/will be made on the effect on Thailand's tourism for each instance of political volatility, change or upheaval in every country in the world from which at least one national has visited Thailand in the last few years?

In which case, can we look forward to a statement, following next month's general election in Australia, that the conclusion of the election and new government will boost Australian tourist numbers to Thailand, or something similar?

Edited by householder

Hot off the press; TAT has announced fifty more of the Dead Sea scrolls have finished being translated. This is expected to increase Thailand's overall toursim numbers by 3.6% in the remaining months of 2013.

• Like 2

Whether it will or not I don't know.

What I do know is that the Govt (or the ministries) has done a real good job of getting the Thais out of there who wanted to come home.

Don't know why (Mods!) that hasn't been put up here as a news story as it is one of the few things this Govt should be applauded for.

We need all the good news we can get as there isn't much of it.

• Like 2

Hundreds of people are dying and this is the primary concern? bah.gif

Business goes on. No, I am not a cynic, but compared to Syria and Libya, this is (so far) nothing massive.

Seriously, the tourism industry is profiting hugely from North Africa basically having disappeared of the travelers map. Millions of tourists that used to frequent Morocco, Tunisia, Egypt and, to a lesser extent, Libya and Algeria are forced to look for new destinations.

Apart from the fact, that I will never get my head around it, why (as someone already said) when such a tragedy is going down, someone has no other thought than, how it may influence tourist numbers...

WHAT?

No burning down Bangkok, no massive floods, no bombing...nothing, that happens in this country, can ever tarnish the numbers of tourists! But if Egyptians are killing each other,it might influence the numbers, a tiny little bit...

...I need a Paracetamol....

• Like 1

Apart from the fact, that I will never get my head around it, why (as someone already said) when such a tragedy is going down, someone has no other thought than, how it may influence tourist numbers...

WHAT?

No burning down Bangkok, no massive floods, no bombing...nothing, that happens in this country, can ever tarnish the numbers of tourists! But if Egyptians are killing each other,it might influence the numbers, a tiny little bit...

The flooding and all the other stuff going on had a huge effect on Thailand's tourism industry; this is the first year in ages that the tourist industry is rocking.

The tragedy will soon be off the front pages, just like Syria...... Let's face it: most people do not really give a rat's ass what happens in some 3rd-world country (unless they live there).

Idiotic statement from the tourism muppets again. Suppose 40,000 Egyptians visit Thailand in year and all stop coming now ... well, that equates to a reduction of 105 people per day. Hardly significant is it? I imagine that the Egyptian tourist industry has far, far more to worry about than the people promoting Thailand's 'centre of the world' tourist haven. Any old crap in the news seems to be linked to TAT.

BREAKING NEWS

"Teenage student falls down the stairs and cancels round the world trip" claims Faroe Islands Daily News.

"We are monitoring the situation very closely, but don't anticipate a major decline in tourist arrivals this year," responded TAT spokesman Imade Italupasyushal.

• Like 1

Hundreds of people are dying and this is the primary concern? xbah.gif.pagespeed.ic.UBlCYNwc5a.webp alt=bah.gif width=19 height=19>

Up to thousand now. Thailand's over inflated sense of self importance and arrogance toward the rest of the world is always reflected in its public face regarding its tourism industry and anything else for that matter. Ironically, the biggest turnoff for tourists in Thailand should be the 10,000 deaths and daily bombings in the south muslim dominated areas.

• Like 1

WHAT?

The flooding and all the other stuff going on had a huge effect on Thailand's tourism industry; this is the first year in ages that the tourist industry is rocking.

The tragedy will soon be off the front pages, just like Syria...... Let's face it: most people do not really give a rat's ass what happens in some 3rd-world country (unless they live there).

According to the almighty (and completely dellusional) TAT...it didn't have any impact...at all...ever!

WHAT?

According to the almighty (and completely dellusional) TAT...it didn't have any impact...at all...ever!

I don't rely on TAT's figureswhistling.gif

Last night I was on Soi 3 in the Nana area and I have never seen so many Arabs there EVER. It was crawling with people and while I've never been uncomfortable walking around there, I felt very on edge yesterday. It seems to me that the unrest in the Middle East is bringing more of those people here and you can bet that some are terrorists.

• Like 1