Bangkok: Khao San Croc crooks arrested for swindling tourists

webfact

Khao San Croc crooks arrested for swindling tourists
By Coconuts Bangkok

shoes.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Tourist police recently arrested two Khao San tour bus company owners who stole cash and goods from passengers, including Croc and New Balance brand shoes.

Trat police paraded the arrested married couple – Sarawut Saipanya, age 41, and Chanika Saipanya, age 35, who operated the Saipanya Tour Company bus from Khao San Road to Koh Chang – in a press conference yesterday.

Officers acting on complaints from tourists about missing items, found credit cards, 12 different kinds of currencies, clothes from the Gap, and a cornucopia of different brand-name shoes including Crocs, New Balances, and Fit-flops. They estimated that the total value of the stolen contraband at THB700,000.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=B9mh_IaOL7Y

Following an investigation, police arrested the couple who made a full confession. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/08/21/khao-san-croc-crooks-arrested-swindling-tourists

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-08-21

"Sarawut said that he and his wife owned two buses that brought tourists from Khao San to Koh Chang that they had operated for one year. The couple would hop into the bus storage compartment's and sift through suitcases for valuables and then exit when it stopped on the motorway." They owned 2 tour buses! That has to worth more

3- 5 million baht! No sympathy for these 2 crooks.

"Sarawut said that he and his wife owned two buses that brought tourists from Khao San to Koh Chang that they had operated for one year. The couple would hop into the bus storage compartment's and sift through suitcases for valuables and then exit when it stopped on the motorway." They owned 2 tour buses! That has to worth more

3- 5 million baht! No sympathy for these 2 crooks.

"owned 2 tour buses?"---------- You havn't got used to Thai journalism yet have you ?

Saipanya Tour Company....ruining people's holidays for years.

It's a simple sting really. Most of these buses have an access door behind the drivers seat that goes into a ting sleeping room then through to the luggage hold. Khao San to Kho to Kho Chang is about 4 hours, send a small guy in, he can take his time.

I never put anything under the bus, these scum bags with take anything. Bang em up!!

same for all these cheap buses, regardless where they go. The chiang mai one is the same. they also stop halfway somewhere int he middle of the road to unload in a minute or less. who knows what.... that's why it only costs 400? baht or so from BKK to Chiang Mai, while even from Bang Sue it's more expensive.

Good work by the police for catching these crooks. By the way, after wearing only real New Balance tennis shoes for the last 25 years, those shown are counterfeit knock-offs bought here in Thailand. What a shame. The originals are so nice, and nothing like the copies.

• Like 1

Saipanya Tour Company....ruining people's holidays for years.

It's a simple sting really. Most of these buses have an access door behind the drivers seat that goes into a ting sleeping room then through to the luggage hold. Khao San to Kho to Kho Chang is about 4 hours, send a small guy in, he can take his time.

I never put anything under the bus, these scum bags with take anything. Bang em up!!

Absolute slime, the bastaards should be incarcerated and the keys thrown away.

Thailand's reputation (for what it was / for what it is) going down everyday.

Tell you friends / countrymen (& women) to avoid Thailand like the plague.

'som nam naa' when they are eating shyt they might stop and reflect.

I padlock everything thrice, my luggage looks like a Xmas tree of padlocks so if they see my bag i hope they go another one,, too many padlocks and nothing inside except dirty laundry,,, bastards, should put a trap, how about inventing a luggage alarm,, touch that alarm and all hell breaks out,, i'd like to see the little kid get his ears blown out by a loud screech when he get's his dirty little hands on ( the not yet invented Luggage Alarm) go fellas start inventing.

How about getting a bag with a lock or buy a small padlock to secure the case.

Not exactly rocket surgery is it?

Would it matter? If the actual crooks get off the bus before everyone else, they can break open the locks & zippers, or even slit open a soft-sided suitcase. Who's gonna' answer for the damage when you get off yourself and discover the damage, that's IF you see anything at that point? Maybe they'll let you file a "claim" (which you can do in your spare time as you gather your stuff & look for a place on the baht bus and are figuring out how to get to your hotel, airport, station)? Doesn't the passenger ticket usually include some fine print disclaimer about luggage damage - maybe even theft - anyway?

Not slagging the use of baggage locks though. 'Never go anywhere without 'em. But I don't think they'd deter a determined thief with plenty of time. Crooks don't do crimes like this if it's too hard or the target has any easy recourse.

Good work by the police for catching these crooks. By the way, after wearing only real New Balance tennis shoes for the last 25 years, those shown are counterfeit knock-offs bought here in Thailand. What a shame. The originals are so nice, and nothing like the copies.

How can you tell?

BTW, I padlock my old bag to the bed occasionally, even though I doubt no-one will knock her.

Edited by Soi Sauce

What may I ask is a "fit-flop"? Some new work out thong sandal of sorts maybe?laugh.png

Yes, actually. They are a type of sandal, jandal, flip-flop, thong or whatever you call them, that are designed to give the leg muscles a work out when you walk. They have been a round a few years, becoming very popular in Thailand around 2 years ago. The range has expanded since then to include a wider range of footware, including models for men.

Central carry them if you are interested.

if i cant afford a taxi to koh, chang, i cant afford a weekend on koh chang. pretty simple.

it is a rule of thumb i use in thailand, if i cant afford private transport or a flight, i cant afford to go.

More secure, more convenient and generally way safer.

aovid all the nonsense -- dont take the bus. If you MUST take a bus, -- Don take a bus from Khaosan

simple iinit?

Edited by GirlDrinkDrunk
  • Like 1