Bangkok: Khao San Croc crooks arrested for swindling tourists

webfact

How about getting a bag with a lock or buy a small padlock to secure the case.

Not exactly rocket surgery is it?

actually,you cannot lock a suitcase with a lock,or,not effectively.the safest way to travel is to wrap the lock in black tape and clingfilm the bag.this scam has been going on for years.to the point,if i have guests arrive from bangkok by bus,i ask them to check thier bags,twice in the last 3 years,the customer has had stuff stolen.the idea with the tape and clingfilm is,you can tell right away if someone has tampered with your bag.take a look at this.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpIJVWXsBBI

With the amount of warnings all over the internet, in the guide books and from other travellers on the backpacker circuit about thefts on KSR buses (for about 10 years now) it amazes me how anyone still takes these KSR buses and puts their stuff under the bus.

• Like 2

I had read warnings about putting bags in bus belly storage generally, but never anything about KSR specifically. Then again, I never use inter-city buses except sometimes from the airport in the first place. (I also travel with just one suitcase - not a large one - and never put valuables in it.) It seems kind of undoable to be constantly wrapping up one's bag in cellophane for every cross-country hop, and not sure all the extra visible security on a bag doesn't actually attract a thief's attention to the bag, if not to you yourself.

Edited by hawker9000

Crocs are high end sandals, flip-flops or beach shoes ranging from THB1000-THB2000. Replicas can be bought for as little as THB100 but offer no traction and could cause injury. I prefer "KEEN" a high end sandal where on some styles the toes are covered allowing them to be passed off not as sandals/flip-flops and bypassing hygiene or no open-toe issues in restaurants. These run THB4000-THB6000 and are durable and well worth it.

I'm waiting for the inevitable government official to come out with the Officially Approved statement: "This could tarnish the image of Thailand."

or, "This will have no effect on Thai tourism". whistling.gif

What amazes me is that this has no effect on the KSR bus business at all. When I first visited LOS in late 2003, I genned up with Internet and LP, and knew before I even got there that one thing to avoid is buses from KSR, for just this reason. So the scam has been running since before then yet people still use the "services". And not only newbies either.

To wit: in 2005 whilst in BKK I hooked up with a colleague I get on with quite well. She's travelled extensively in SEA, and is a bit of an old hand. The first day we met up she was upset because, and here my jaw sagged and my head shook involuntarily in disbelief, yes, she of all people had taken a bus from KSR to Siam Reap of all places. And her baggage had been rifled with some shoes, jeans and cosmetics stolen. Yes she said she'd known about the warnings but it seemed such a bargain, and thought she'd give it a try.

The company also switched buses at the border, and VIP luxury gave way to a Cambo wreck. They were then given the obligatory run around with restaurants, and late arrivals and grotty guest houses. Well whaddaya know. I was stunned that she'd taken a KSR bus but I could at least sympathise with her to a certain extent - she's real nice and that was not a nice experience. Nobody deserves that.

But I have to say I have NO sympathy for people who put credit cards in luggage whatever transport they're using.

Do these arrests mean KSR buses are safe now? I still won't be using them. Maybe some have been lucky, maybe they only plunder 1 in 3 to keep the punters coming. Who knows ... they just keep running and running despite all the warnings. Stunning.

Some Thai's like to steal, rip off or cheat falangs, not because they make a lot of profit from it but they try to prove that they are more intelligent than western foreigners.

Most of the items they steal will be kept as a trophy on the wall with a small note saying: "Stolen from falang 20. aug. 2013" clap2.gif

Maybe this couple can bring some secondhand fake Gucci socks from the theft to hang on they'r prison wall as a proof how clever they are :-)

Edited by bander