Tipping in Thailand

White Christmas13

In a Thai student bar 2 weeks ago I had quite appalling service for most of the night,

Ignored by most waiting staff.

Drink order forgotten.

No plate, cutlery or napkins brought.

When tried to ask for waiting staff uninterested as they couldn't understand.

Then finally I got a beer.

Then food.

A bit later when the tiger beer girl came to top up my glass she noticed that no one had brought my cutlery or a plate and I was eating my food with my fingers (didn't matter it was just french fries and some other finger food so would have probably done that even if I had cutlery).

She apologized and immediately brought them over and said if I needed anything just ask her.

I thought that was a nice touch compared to the other useless staff I'd dealt with so far.

When leaving I asked her for the bill.

Bill was 400B. I had exactly 460B in my wallet in change so just gave her the lot because she'd actually been quite good at her job.

The look on her face was priceless. Real shocked.

I would usually tip 10% anyway so was only 20B more but she thought I'd misunderstood the bill and said I'd given her 60B too much.

I told her I hadn't and it was a tip and she looked even more shocked.

I guess Thai students don't tip too much.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was a waiter once upon a time, at a seafood buffet restaurant.

Those kind of places you hustle your ass off.

Anyways, I served this one table of Red Necks, at least 5 adults and 5 kids.

I gave them good service, as I always did.

As they were walking out the door, they left me 15 cents. That was around 1980, and that was not because of inflation or anything of those times.

I was so pissed off, I chased them down to their car and gave it back.

Edited by Kommiekat

I was a waiter once upon a time, at a seafood buffet restaurant.

Those kind of places you hustle your ass off.

Anyways, I served this one table of Red Necks, at least 5 adults and 5 kids.

I gave them good service, as I always did.

As they were walking out the door, they left me 15 cents. That was around 1980, and that was not because of inflation or anything of those times.

I was so pissed off, I chased them down to their car and gave it back.

So that was you! How rude. bah.gif

A Thai waiter in a bar here in BKK threw the satangs my mate left at us and shouted "don't insult me I don't want these small coins" or something along those lines once.

We didn't want them either.

Should have involved the police, old matey is disrespecting the royal family with his actions.

I was a waiter once upon a time, at a seafood buffet restaurant. <snip>

From above ... "I was a waiter once upon a time, at a seafood buffet restaurant." ... in the USA.

People from the USA ... WE GET IT ... TIPPING IS A WAY OF LIFE AND AN INCOME FOR THE WAIT STAFF

"OVER THERE".

It's so ingrained in your Culture ... but this is Thailand ... not the the USA.

To the gentleman poster who said previously ... along the lines of ... "I don't think that Americans are responsible for tipping in Thailand"

The USA Culture has spread world wide due to your dominance economically (others wish to emulate your wealth), through the various media, Hollywood movies and SitComs (Situation Comedies) global food chains ... the list continues.

I'm not decrying the fact ... nor protesting it, nor embracing it ... it is what it is.

At my local Scottish Restaurant ... McDonalds ... there are no 'chips' on the menu ... there are 'fries'.

They don't sell 'biscuits' ... they sell cookies.

Nor am I knocking the States ... I lived there for 6 months ... at home, as a nation, you are some of the warmest considerate folk I've met traveling ... at home.

The Culture of tipping is what it is ... I just wish Thailand was adopting it so readily ... dry.png

In a Thai student bar 2 weeks ago I had quite appalling service for most of the night,

Ignored by most waiting staff.

Drink order forgotten.

No plate, cutlery or napkins brought.

When tried to ask for waiting staff uninterested as they couldn't understand.

Then finally I got a beer.

Then food.

A bit later when the tiger beer girl came to top up my glass she noticed that no one had brought my cutlery or a plate and I was eating my food with my fingers (didn't matter it was just french fries and some other finger food so would have probably done that even if I had cutlery).

She apologized and immediately brought them over and said if I needed anything just ask her.

I thought that was a nice touch compared to the other useless staff I'd dealt with so far.

When leaving I asked her for the bill.

Bill was 400B. I had exactly 460B in my wallet in change so just gave her the lot because she'd actually been quite good at her job.

The look on her face was priceless. Real shocked.

I would usually tip 10% anyway so was only 20B more but she thought I'd misunderstood the bill and said I'd given her 60B too much.

I told her I hadn't and it was a tip and she looked even more shocked.

I guess Thai students don't tip too much.

It's people like you that makes it expensive to live in Thailand.

The girl was shocked yes , but mainly because tipping is not normal in this place.

Yes I know some wealthy Thais also tip but this is not the norm .

So, how much should one tip if you only pay 60 bt for a beer?

20 bt seems a bit too high.

I can see 20 bt for a 250 bt massage, but 20bt for a US$2.00 beer?

I mean, how GOOD can the service be?

No, I wouldn't tip 20 baht on a 60 baht beer. I was thinking more of a meal with drinks. For just one drink, I would probably pay upfront anyway.

I've spoken to many barbers and some have said that they are offended when farang leave a large tip. I'm sick...

and i am sick of people who try to insult my intelligence by claiming a barber (or anyone in the service business) considered a large tip an offence!

bah.gif

As you don't speak Thai how do you know? Intelligent people can learn the language in the country they've lived in for for a few years.

Off topic

Few years? You sure about that? A language that has it's own script as well?

Surely you jest. Takes more than a few years to "learn" just about any language and no one should expect to speak like a native and not completely drop your accent.

Does not matter how "intelligent" you are.

You've GOT to crack open a few books and put in your time.

Just living here alone is NOT going to do it.

End Off topic