Good and Bad builders in Pattaya

mjcl

There is a door shop on Sukhumvit between Pattaya Nua and Pattaya Klang, on the left hand side as you travel to Pattaya Klang. Beware of this shop!

I had my house doors made by them and after they installed them, one started to "come apart at the seams". I complained and they promised to come and change it out.

Two months ago they came and took the old door away, and as yet have not replaced it. All the other doors are also starting to show big gaps in the joints.

This is my problem, and I will sort it out eventually. I would just like to warn any readers about this shop. Don't buy from them unless you are prepared to have a lot of problems.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see no reason to limit the warning about doors to only one shop. I think most shops use non-kiln dried wood that will warp, split or swell for sure.

Most new to Thailand farang are fooled as the doors on display are kiln dried.

The doors at Homepro look good, but who knows how they will turn out.

In building my custom home through a project developer, I only had two good experiences. B&B furniture at Chiang Mai Homepro made great sliding mirror closet doors to order. The drawings were done by an architect on their staff and the installers actually made up for a inch and half difference from top to bottom.

The other good job was Teka that made my kitchen cabinets. Both vendors would probably be considered expensive by most local farang, but having something made right made the high price worth it to me. The sliding 1.5 meter mirrored closet doors were 20k Baht each and the very large kitchen cabinets and two bathroom vanities with ceiling high adjacent cabinets was 200K Baht.

I'd like to start this topic to ask everyone about their experiences with our local builders.

Everyone I know has had a lot of bad experiences, I have had to have walls knocked down and rebuilt as the builders couldn't get them straight.

Thing is though, does anyone know any good builders, tilers, carpenters, electricians etc? If you do, how about posting their contact details here?

Alternatively, if you know someone to be a rip off cowboy, post their details so others don't end up getting ripped off too.

• 4 years later...
I'd like to start this topic to ask everyone about their experiences with our local builders.

Everyone I know has had a lot of bad experiences, I have had to have walls knocked down and rebuilt as the builders couldn't get them straight.

Thing is though, does anyone know any good builders, tilers, carpenters, electricians etc? If you do, how about posting their contact details here?

Alternatively, if you know someone to be a rip off cowboy, post their details so others don't end up getting ripped off too.

Good builders in Pattaya  :o

I agree there are few, however, I can and will, personally recommend a fantastic, honest, professional local builder to anyone who genuinely wants one. Please PM me and I will give you a name and pictures of his work.

I had a house build last year, a foooking nightmare.

3 months later I’m still fixing things left and right. Some advice “if you see some thing happening illogically strange” it is... and don’t believe that your builder known’s best. Take action>> Tell your contractor that you don’t like “Somchai The Electrician, tile layer, carpenter etc...” and get a replacement ASAP.

My biggest mistake was to rely on my contractor and believe he’s got his “Chang’s” under control only to learn what I suspected from day 1 that some of his workers are completely useless. Take that part out of the contract and find some body else (if there is).

I run a project managment company here in Pattaya, my company insures builders i recomend or you pick are controlled to do things to the highest standards, giving me the headache, but insuring work is done to the proper standards & finishing you are expecting

There is a link to my companies web site in my profile

I run a project managment company here in Pattaya, my company insures builders i recomend or you pick are controlled to do things to the highest standards, giving me the headache, but insuring work is done to the proper standards & finishing you are expecting

Surely you are talking "Best Practice" rather than any specific standards?

Or are you discussing BS, DIN or other published standards? I know a couple of Thai guys who have worked abroad to certain national standards, as set out in the contracts, but basically in Thailand they will work to Thai standards (there are some) at best. Usually they will just do as their mentors taught them years ago.

I have employed many Thai tradesmen overseas, and followed up on some of them when they return to Thailand. Very good when taught what we want, but most jump out of the construction industry and those that remain do not (in Thailand) apply the level of expertise that is required elsewhere.

A project manager is definitely the way to but by the time I realized it the project was to far advance to involve one. So I battled my way trough it...

Today I’m happy with my house that is build at high standard (double walls, ceramic roof, 3m ceilings, 3phaze electricity etc) and could at the end afford to get myself a nice swimming pool.

Now to get things strait,

If you go for the better Thai companies or Falang project managers the cost will rise dramatically. If you go for the “Thai no Name Company” constructer their is a possibility of brain damage. You have to be a Very Jai Yen Yen falang to deal with the Somchai’s and his Cambodian crew.

If Thai: in this case you will have to manage the material buying yourself. They will grab any opurtunity to sqeeze you for a extra bath. That goes for the supplier (Yes even the big names) that always deliver less than you bought to the foreman... “my oh my” why they always make mistakes in their benefit.

Payments must be controlled in stages as they can do a runner any time.

Be prepared to check your project everyday and god bless you if you think to go back to your home country and expect it to finish when you come back.

The project manager: if you build a large house, let’s say above 5m than it might be worth it. Below this the impact of the managing cost will be simply too high.

Than their is the case of the Comparison Falang. Build myself a house for 120,000 $€, cheap as chips, you know how much this cost at Falang Land... In this case don’t worry and simply go ahead, just avoid the Somchai’s.

The truth of the matter, it’s just not wise to build a house these days. Look at the availability in the real estate market. Buy a house let’s say 200K below your budget and get the place tiptop.

That’s what the doctor should order you to avoid that heart attack.

A project manager is definitely the way to but by the time I realized it the project was to far advance to involve one. So I battled my way trough it...

Today I'm happy with my house that is build at high standard (double walls, ceramic roof, 3m ceilings, 3phaze electricity etc) and could at the end afford to get myself a nice swimming pool.

Now to get things strait,

If you go for the better Thai companies or Falang project managers the cost will rise dramatically. If you go for the "Thai no Name Company" constructer their is a possibility of brain damage. You have to be a Very Jai Yen Yen falang to deal with the Somchai's and his Cambodian crew.

If Thai: in this case you will have to manage the material buying yourself. They will grab any opurtunity to sqeeze you for a extra bath. That goes for the supplier (Yes even the big names) that always deliver less than you bought to the foreman... "my oh my" why they always make mistakes in their benefit.

Payments must be controlled in stages as they can do a runner any time.

Be prepared to check your project everyday and god bless you if you think to go back to your home country and expect it to finish when you come back.

The project manager: if you build a large house, let's say above 5m than it might be worth it. Below this the impact of the managing cost will be simply too high.

Than their is the case of the Comparison Falang. Build myself a house for 120,000 $€, cheap as chips, you know how much this cost at Falang Land... In this case don't worry and simply go ahead, just avoid the Somchai's.

The truth of the matter, it's just not wise to build a house these days. Look at the availability in the real estate market. Buy a house let's say 200K below your budget and get the place tiptop.

That's what the doctor should order you to avoid that heart attack.

I am currently project managing the renovation of a condo, total renovation price just over 1 milion baht, the client is in Athens & is extremly happy what I'm doing for him, numerous email back & forward weekly & usally couple of phone calls a week, project running great with really no hassles for the client, so the fee does not need to be to high to make the project too expensive.

Like any builders world wide some are better than others, my best builder is a Thai guy, not cheap but his work is top notch

Here is a 2007 article written on me: -

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=110134

Ha, your are promoting yourself while I just try to illustrate to the inexperienced Falang what’s going to happen to him if he decide to build his home here.

Like you point out yourself “your best Thai builder is not cheap” and you are managing him...

Let me make my point, building significantly below market value is only advisable to the ones with experience, speaking the language and not the faint hearted. Getting a falang with that experience like you to manage it is the better option... but not that cheap...

I’ sure that you client will be happy while in Athens, he’s in fact lucky not go for a Thai-Thai builder.

Just stand by it: that in today’s buyers market it’s not worth all the hassle to try to build. Hmm maybe renovating yes.

Ha, your are promoting yourself while I just try to illustrate to the inexperienced Falang what's going to happen to him if he decide to build his home here.

Like you point out yourself "your best Thai builder is not cheap" and you are managing him...

Let me make my point, building significantly below market value is only advisable to the ones with experience, speaking the language and not the faint hearted. Getting a falang with that experience like you to manage it is the better option... but not that cheap...

I' sure that you client will be happy while in Athens, he's in fact lucky not go for a Thai-Thai builder.

Just stand by it: that in today's buyers market it's not worth all the hassle to try to build. Hmm maybe renovating yes.

All my builders have there own clients as well, which I do not get involved in, I only manage projects for clients what intially came to me, even then some clients only want a builders introduction & not a project manager, so I do not get to run every job.

Like any profesion worlwide, there are good & bad, Thailand & Pattaya is no diffrent, there are good & bad farangs as well I'm afraid to say.

Or are you discussing BS, DIN or other published standards? I know a couple of Thai guys who have worked abroad to certain national standards, as set out in the contracts, but basically in Thailand they will work to Thai standards (there are some) at best. Usually they will just do as their mentors taught them years ago.

I have employed many Thai tradesmen overseas, and followed up on some of them when they return to Thailand. Very good when taught what we want, but most jump out of the construction industry and those that remain do not (in Thailand) apply the level of expertise that is required elsewhere.

Thai standards(TIS) = copy version of U.S. standards(ACI), but adding with construction management confusions...I mean, the explanation 'bout applying the standards is not dang clear... :o

Thai standards(TIS) = copy version of U.S. standards(ACI), but adding with construction management confusions...I mean, the explanation 'bout applying the standards is not dang clear... :o

:D 55555555 Standards, just be happy that all is working....

I would be intersested to what standards as well that your company manages the projects too, especially from an electrical viewpoint. I am an electrical engineer and frankly in all the 3 places I have lived in Thailand when I have checked the electrical installation I have been horrified.

I lived in one of the top end high rise condos in BKK and the every time I touched the oven I would get a tingle if I didn't have rubber shoes on, when I checked it out the earth wire was just screwed into the wall and the tingle I was getting was just the standard earth leakage from such an oven, if that oven had developed a short circuit fault to earth there would have been a serious risk to anybody who touched it. That is without mentioning the risk of fire every time I used the oven because the installation contractor had used normal lighting wire to hook up the oven to the distribution panel, <deleted>.

Since then I have rented 2 homes in Pattaya recently built to Western Standards which again had no earthing on the electrical sockets which is OK if everything you buy is double insulated but for Kitchens and Bathrooms is a complete no-no. So I beleive a lot of this built to Western Standards actually the Western refers to Cowboy as in the Western movies, it's just marketing BS most of the time, I'm just lucky that by trade I can see what is wrong and take action. Anyway lets hear what standards you adhere to when you are managing the electrical installation etc.

Ha, your are promoting yourself while I just try to illustrate to the inexperienced Falang what's going to happen to him if he decide to build his home here.

Like you point out yourself "your best Thai builder is not cheap" and you are managing him...

I' sure that you client will be happy while in Athens, he's in fact lucky not go for a Thai-Thai builder.

Just stand by it: that in today's buyers market it's not worth all the hassle to try to build. Hmm maybe renovating yes.

All my builders have there own clients as well, which I do not get involved in, I only manage projects for clients what intially came to me, even then some clients only want a builders introduction & not a project manager, so I do not get to run every job.

Like any profesion worlwide, there are good & bad, Thailand & Pattaya is no diffrent, there are good & bad farangs as well I'm afraid to say.

What are your professional qualifications?

Also, if you insure on the basis that the work will be up to "high standards", which I believe were your words, who determines whether or not the works are up to the requisite standard? Knowing insurance companies quite well, I would be very surprised if it is easy to pursue a claim simply on the basis that the works are not up to the standard you were told they would be.

The question about standards is an interesting one, but also VERY difficult to deal with properly. I have some experience from a printing related industry, and I tell you, to define a colour accurately is just about impossible. Yes you can measure it, but there are so many variables, both on the printing side, with substrate, inks, printing press, +++ to the viewer, the ambient light, angle of aspect, it is just too much to list. And this is a frequent cause for major disputes in the industry.

So this is where it is notoriously difficult to set standards that are 100% true and measurable.

As it is in building and decorating a house, although a lot easier. But what is a straight wall? 90.00 degrees, or 87.6 degrees? When is it good enough? And who decides?

I have 3 phase electricity in my house and simply installed a leakage switch from “Safe T Cut”.

On that one you can adjust the sensitivity from none to 2MA... In my case the safety device immediately went off... Than it’s “up to you” checking the breakers 1 by 1 till you find which one tripped the safety switch? Once the breaker found, you can check the related light switches, finding the culprit and fix it.

Ha you better check it yourself. I asked 2 electricians and both wanted to Bypass the “Safe T Cut”. :o

Let me spell it out: There are no standards but Thai standards. Forget those international ones and when it comes to electricity (specially the water heaters) you better be safe than sorry. My advice, spend some money on a safety leakage switch it might safe your life one day.

My friends advised me to "leave the contractor alone, let him get on with the work". I'm glad I didn't take their advice. Everything had to be done 3 times before they got it right. The work that should have taken 3 months took 1 year!! And that was with having a falang to supervise. End of story was that falang and contractor fell in love and I have a home that works except that ceilings are not the best.

Tell me why every door, even light, inside doors, HAVE TO HAVE 4 hinges?

I have 3 phase electricity in my house and simply installed a leakage switch from “Safe T Cut”.

On that one you can adjust the sensitivity from none to 2MA... In my case the safety device immediately went off... Than it’s “up to you” checking the breakers 1 by 1 till you find which one tripped the safety switch? Once the breaker found, you can check the related light switches, finding the culprit and fix it.

Ha you better check it yourself. I asked 2 electricians and both wanted to Bypass the “Safe T Cut”. :D

Let me spell it out: There are no standards but Thai standards. Forget those international ones and when it comes to electricity (specially the water heaters) you better be safe than sorry. My advice, spend some money on a safety leakage switch it might safe your life one day.

...my friend died, while taking his shower 'coz of the water heater. I recommend the same as you do... :o You just cant be too safe, right? Aaa! Standards!!? :D

Ha you better check it yourself. I asked 2 electricians and both wanted to Bypass the “Safe T Cut”. :D

...my friend died, while taking his shower 'coz of the water heater. I recommend the same as you do... :o You just cant be too safe, right? Aaa! Standards!!? :D

I read somewhere that in Asia more foreigners die from electrocution than in road accidents. Luckily when I was electrocuted in the shower I fell out from under the water when I lost consciousness.

...my friend died, while taking his shower 'coz of the water heater. I recommend the same as you do... :D You just cant be too safe, right? Aaa! Standards!!? :D

I read somewhere that in Asia more foreigners die from electrocution than in road accidents. Luckily when I was electrocuted in the shower I fell out from under the water when I lost consciousness.

:D There aint no such a working Earth line. Cheap electric-devices with low quality materials. No doubts they're killing devices. You've got such a luck, Tammi! Keep up your guard, though.. :o

Ask the Roof tile layers, they will confirm that the most dangerous part of there job is not losing their balance... it’s the metal construction and the combination of the eclectic wires hanging around.

The ceiling guys are really “Da Electrified ones”. They all had there chock at one day or another.

Building here is a frustration but electric can be a killer. Get a leakage switch ASAP.

By the way: don’t leave the construction guys alone, they have the tendency working in a reverse manner en do most things over and over again to get it right. Just make sure you buy more tiles than needed, I had to change a whole floor because running out of tiles. The supplier told me “Mee Mie Laow”. It’s a jungle...

Also, if you insure on the basis that the work will be up to "high standards", which I believe were your words, who determines whether or not the works are up to the requisite standard? Knowing insurance companies quite well, I would be very surprised if it is easy to pursue a claim simply on the basis that the works are not up to the standard you were told they would be.

I see that there has been no reply to my queries, which were hardly unreasonable. I wonder why???

[/size]

I see that there has been no reply to my queries, which were hardly unreasonable. I wonder why???

The reason I have not replied is that your clearly trying to get into an argument, I'm not intrested in arguying, all i'm tryng to do is offer a good service, as they say in Thailand "Up to You"

[/size]

The reason I have not replied is that your clearly trying to get into an argument, I'm not intrested in arguying, all i'm tryng to do is offer a good service, as they say in Thailand "Up to You"

There have been a number of posts in this thread asking what standards you supervise the work to, and you have clearly avoided the questions which should make any reasonably intelligent person avoid your company. All building work should be performed to certain standards, especially electrical, plumbing etc, but it appears that the standards you aspire to if it works it's fine, if it turns out to be unsafe after it doesn't matter as I've already gotten my money.

[/size]

I can assure you I am not trying to get into any kind of an argument. You hold yourself out as a project manager, which is a professional service and so I merely query what your professional qualifications are, which is a simple and reasonable question. It is directly relevant to the service you can offer, as professional qualifications give comfort that you are trained and thus know what you are doing.

You yourself said that you insure to ensure that work is completed to high standards. So I would just like to know who determines whether or not those "high standards" have been met?

They are very simple questions. There is nothing argumentative about them. You can either answer them or I (and I suspect anyone else who reads this) will assume the worst.

The truth is that it was you who came on here and sought to sell yourself as a project manager and professional guardian of the less qualified. Given that you did that, I am just interested to find out just how qualified you actually are to provide prospective clients with the kind of protection you offer.

Far too many people over here hold themselves out as something that they are not. Lots of farangs come over and think they can be anything they want just by giving themselves a title, notwithstanding a complete lack of qualifications and experience. If that doesn't apply to you, please provide details of the professional qualifications and experience that entitles you to market yourself as you do.

The above is a very good point.From the website it shows a nice house built on Pratumnak but I think it belongs to the Company owner.Personnally I'd be worried if not seeing a proven track record by a Building Supervisor.There are some very good building Companies in Thailand and unfortunately some very bad ones.Not saying the Company mentioned is good or bad,just saying check out well any builder you choose to use.

EPG.

The above is a very good point.From the website it shows a nice house built on Pratumnak but I think it belongs to the Company owner.Personnally I'd be worried if not seeing a proven track record by a Building Supervisor.There are some very good building Companies in Thailand and unfortunately some very bad ones.Not saying the Company mentioned is good or bad,just saying check out well any builder you choose to use.

EPG.

Thanks EPG for your comments, the house in Phratmanak is mine, but you can see what I am doing at present by clicking on the current projects menu of my web site.

Your right there is good & bad builders in Thailand & every country worldwide, as i offer a subervision service I am very careful who i work with.

2 of the builders i use 1 farang, 1 Thai, have & are doing some construction/renovations for some very up market comercial hotels, & resdential housing projects in & around Ptty & the eastern seeboard

I do not feel i need to answer anyone on this forum regarding my qualifications, when quite frankly they have no intention whatsoever of hiring me or my service, the customer sets the standards & finishes are required when building or renovating a project, I ensure that this is met on behalf of the client, all my tradesman Thai or Farang, electrician are electricians not labours, plumbers are again plumbers, not gardners!!!

I have just finished a new house build in North Pattaya, i ran the project managment from start to finish, archtectural design introduction & builder introductions, the client chose what builder he wanted to use out of the ones i introduced & did costings, the client was extremly happy for what i have done for them over the last 6 months & were very grateful for everything when i finished yesterday.

I am also happy to work with clients own builders, but they must meet my critera, & I determine this buy looking at there previous work & speaking to previous clients

I suggest anybody who wants to see some of my previous work, contact me direct.

Although some people are suggesting I am a cowboy this is TOTALLY UNJUSTIFIED, I can quite assure you I AM NOT, all my clients past & present have all been very grateful in the way i have helped them, i don't just take money & run I give a lot of advise for FREE, if they then hire my project managment service when the project starts they then pay me for my service.

I was recently speaking (via email) to a local firm of expat owned builders, saying I had seen there work & it was very good & would he be intrested in us working together, his reply was "I don't work with independent project managers on the clients side", the question has to be "WHY", i asked this but never got a reply, he never met me so could not coment on what i had to offer?