Independent panel sought to look into Rayong oil spill

webfact

Independent panel sought to look into oil spill
Pongphon Sarnsamak
The Nation

30213193-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- More than 30,000 people have signed a petition demanding that an independent committee be set up to investigate last month's oil spill especially since no clear answers have been provided by either PTT Global Chemical Plc (PTTGC) or the government investigation team.

The 30,000 signatures from Thailand and overseas were collected by Change.org and will be handed over to Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra next Tuesday.

As per the petition, the panel should comprise officials from oil-spill related agencies, engineering, environmental, legal and health experts as well as a representative from a civic group. The panel should not have any conflict of interest with the petroleum business and should be able to seek cooperation from related public and private agencies. The committee will have the authority to investigate the causes and the impact the spill had on local people and natural resources. It will also be tasked with creating a recovery plan, as well as improving the legal mechanisms to deal with such accidents in the future.

Meanwhile, Buntoon Srethasirote, director of the Good Governance for Social Development and the Environment Institute, said the amount of dispersant used to eliminate the oil was still under question and no clear answers had been provided so far. "Who will take responsibility for the impact?" he asked.

Separately, the owner of Wong Deun Villa resort in Koh Samet Duthathai Nawapanich said that so far, PTTGC had taken no steps to pay compensation, adding that many bookings at her resort had been cancelled.

"When PTTGC staff visited to ask about damages, I asked how they will compensate if there are no bookings for the next two months? The only answer I got was PTTGC will organise a special event or reconsider the compensation," she said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-08-22

The 30,000 signatures from Thailand and overseas were collected by Change.org and will be handed over to Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra next Tuesday.

Petition in the rubbish bin, too busy planning my next trip to Hawaii, Smiley-smiley Thank you, have a nice day giggle.gifgiggle.gifgiggle.gifgiggle.gif

• Like 2

"Independent Committee"? Is it going to be an entirely Thai Committee?

I see contradiction in term. Perhaps it is better to stipulate a "Independent PTTGC Committee"?

I said it before and will repeat - "Until an International Independent Committee" is formed to investigate the spill we will never get to the bottom of PTTGC transgressions.

As usual, too much of the 'face saving' efforts when there is no 'face' to speak of.

• Like 1

I see contradiction in term. Perhaps it is better to stipulate a "Independent PTTGC Committee"?

I said it before and will repeat - "Until an International Independent Committee" is formed to investigate the spill we will never get to the bottom of PTTGC transgressions.

As usual, too much of the 'face saving' efforts when there is no 'face' to speak of.

Absolutely correct, however, owing to the culture which embraces the 'we are always right even when we are wrong' syndrome and the enormous power and influence of PTT, such an Independent International committe would never be allowed. Far far too much egg on their face.

• Like 1

When you read the History of PTT and the reported 9 oil spills to date? we must ask why not be transparent for all to see?

The accident is just what this is, so get to the Root cause and implement change as quickly as possible the country needs answers and the visiting tourism public needs the reassurances?

I hear it was caused by flexible Hose connection line to tanker Buoy breaking. ok so lets see how true and what Maintenance structure can be put in place to stop this ever happening again.

We need The Independent voice on the panel and I would Volunteer my services Gladly, I have over 30 years in this Oil and Gas business Offshore and Onshore and Ex Lloyds of London Inspector. be only too pleased to jump in and review with the Panel I live and have Family in Chonburi.

Good Luck The Wiz

Seven seas Sheriff

When you read the History of PTT and the reported 9 oil spills to date? we must ask why not be transparent for all to see?

The accident is just what this is, so get to the Root cause and implement change as quickly as possible the country needs answers and the visiting tourism public needs the reassurances?

I hear it was caused by flexible Hose connection line to tanker Buoy breaking. ok so lets see how true and what Maintenance structure can be put in place to stop this ever happening again.

We need The Independent voice on the panel and I would Volunteer my services Gladly, I have over 30 years in this Oil and Gas business Offshore and Onshore and Ex Lloyds of London Inspector. be only too pleased to jump in and review with the Panel I live and have Family in Chonburi.

Good Luck The Wiz

Seven seas Sheriff

One long time poster on TVF said that Goodyear may be involved in the leak.

Would that have anything to do with the rubber hose.???

Good Luck The Wiz

Seven seas Sheriff

Another twist was a letter to an editor suggesting Bridgestone had supplied the hoses and he fully expected them to be blamed. One thing for sure it won't be a Thai problem but I'm surprised this hasn't been publicised by PTTGC or the government so far

Anything 'independent' is a red flag to the current government. As mentioned above they have already whitewashed (PTP's No. 1 policy) PTT which leaves anyone looking for compensation in the manure business.

PTT of course is always protected by all shapes of Thaksin's regime as the farcial IPO 10 years or so ago was the catalyst for the yellow shirt movement. Ministerial queue jumping ensured that they got their investments at a good price.

• Like 1

Good Luck The Wiz

Seven seas Sheriff

Another twist was a letter to an editor suggesting Bridgestone had supplied the hoses and he fully expected them to be blamed. One thing for sure it won't be a Thai problem but I'm surprised this hasn't been publicised by PTTGC or the government so far

Either way, it's ptts fault until a court says otherwise. So PTT can pay up and then go after bridge stone.

Good luck with that one. Unless PTT had daily inspection records for a remote pipe to show it failed through no of their own.

• Like 1

PTTGC have already been cleared by the government and nothing is independent in Thailand.

A truly independent panel will never happen because they might actually produce the truth, blame PTTGC and point to cover up from the start and that would never do. It's not Thainess.

Good Luck The Wiz

Seven seas Sheriff

I may be wrong, but my impression was PTTGC belongs to the Gov't. Not sure whether jointly or severally, so to speak. facepalm.gif

Sheriff, if you really want the job, you must indicate beforehand how much will an absolution cost. Like any decent tender. biggrin.png

• Like 1

NongKhaiKid - I was under impression that PTTGC belongs to the Gov't jointly or severally. Not surefacepalm.gif

Gary The Wiz - If you really want the job you must present a tender indicating how much 'the absolution' will cost. biggrin.png

Apology for double post. But it is not my fault. Some of my posts, especially 'non-palatable' ones appear with a huge delay. I am under impression that they are being read and cleared not electronically.

Better go and fetch my paranoia hat...

Edited by ABCer
  • Like 1

Think on the clever forest gumps of USA and the rich and now poor BP shareholders Billions in Claims from unbelievable sources. Chickens laying brown oily Eggs,Cars don't start,Coffee shop lost visitors after the clean up. Ludicrous that they all sound Madness we might all think.

Reality is a free and democratic nation allowed under their constitution rights to Sue BP in courts of Law for the next Zillion Years if they so Wish. Thats Freedom. and the Band Wagon Grows.

Myself if I was Sheriff of the high seas with 11 men Dead!!! someones for Sure going to Jail Believe that.

Billions of Losses are still not teaching the clowns a new way to make us Laugh.3 main Players sadly blaming each other in a Rock fight, I don't know the Payout figures for 11 Families in USA but no amount brings back Daddy and the loved ones. as with all the Piper Alpha disasters all over this World, I honestly believe we need a World wide Sheriff of the high Seas that Reports to The People of The Country and Not to Disaster Orientated Puppets laws of Secrecy.

The Thailand Government and its rights of its people Suddenly all the area starts to Cough and Visitors are not showing up fish are dying Children are unable to concentrate at school,it would not take long before some serious Claims are registered and out of court settlements, and Yes as pointed out Who was to Blame Bridgestone or Perilli start counting the claims PTT be wise to Employ the truth.independently the word is Credibility to the outside WORLD.

Sheriff Wiz

Sea Surface is clean, Ploddi has taken a bath already, MP's were already paid under the table for seafood tasting. Everything set and clear, good publicity acting, TAT contacted to promote tourism recreate FACE again, case closed. Have a nice day