Commuting in BKK

oval

Hi there,

I've been riding around central BKK for the past year on a small Yamaha Nouvo 135, and it has been perfect for the little 20 minute rat run through the back streets to work.

But soon I will be moving to outer Bangkok (as a matter of necessity), around 30km's from work, so I am trying to work out my best mode of transport.

I am tossing up between using my current squirelly wee scooter, buying a small car (expensive and slow), or perhaps buying a bigger bike, such as a CBR250.... The last option appeals, but I am wary because I've never actually ridden a bike with a manual transmission before! Is it hard to make the switch?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

The way I see it my friend, if you can drive through bkk (on your scooter) you can drive anywhere.

I would give it a shot on your scooter first and see how you feel. Give it a couple of weeks or even a month before you decide on forking out money on a bigger motor.

We stayed in bkk for around 3 months in Ramkhamheang area and my wife worked in China town, I found the courage to start picking her up on our Scoopy I.

I loved it.:D

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If you can drive a manual car then it will be an easy switch to a manual bike. Same thing, but the controls are in a different place. If you can't drive a manual car then it will take a bit longer to get used to it.

Personally I feel safer in BKK on my Ninja 250 than I do on my Nouvo MX. I can get away from tailgaters, accelerate into gaps etc. A CBR250 is a great choice for a BKK commuter bike IMO.

Unless you commute very early in the morning or travel on the very few ground level divided highways a 250 will not be any quicker to get to work than your Nuovo. Surface traffic very rarely travels at more than 80 kph usually 70. The advantage of a car is weather, express-ways and status but if you have been riding to work already then... Give the Nuovo a good check over and maybe buy some good new tires. Get a top box. or install a hook for your back pack. Top box will/can double as a briefcase.

Investigate thoroughly the bus routes, travel times especially bus routes to BTS/MRT if you are on the north or west side. I used to take a company bus or ride a bike. Wake up at 6.00 look out the window. If miserable take the 6.45 bus from opposite my apartment, if not leave on the bike at 7.30. Or look out of the window and if bad take a taxi.

You will soon find out if you are a motorcyclist at heart. If you arrive at work smiling and upbeat you are.

Edited by VocalNeal

Personally I feel safer in BKK on my Ninja 250 than I do on my Nouvo MX. I can get away from tailgaters, accelerate into gaps etc. A CBR250 is a great choice for a BKK commuter bike IMO.

Thanks mate - a little off topic, but which 250 do you reckon is best for this kind of use?

The scooter is still irreplaceable when it comes to transporting something big,

since you cant use your left hand to hold it when you have a clutch.

You are brave to drive bike in bkk btw

Edited by poanoi

I would wait until you've settled upon a route. If you are planning to take smaller roads into the city, or at least service roads, you might prefer the scooter if you have to weave in and out of traffic. Both of the bikes you've mentioned are small bikes but the scooter will have a big advantage in congestion.

Thanks mate - a little off topic, but which 250 do you reckon is best for this kind of use?

Without wishing to re-ignite the CBR vs Ninja debate, my personal feeling is that if you just want to commute then I'd save my money and get a CBR250. It's cheaper than the Ninja and has a bit more torque for city riding. Second hand you can get them very cheap now. Or go even cheaper and get a cbr150 which is also great on gas and easy to manoeuvre in tight spots.

If you enjoy riding and also plan on using it for longer tours or spirited weekend blasts out of BKK for fun, I'd get the Ninja.

Scooter is weak for a 30 km commute.

I used cbr250r more than a year for commuting and i found it comfy, safe - especially abs model is safer - and it can squeeze any gap a scooter can do.

It also smells petrol and it has a nice torque on lower rpms which is good for city.

If bkk, a car is not a good idea.

You can get a second hand cbr 250 with abs around less than 90 k now which is a good value.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Commuting on my Ninja 650 is a breeze, I often leave PCXs and smaller scooters behind, Forzas don't stand a chance :D
Switching to a geared bike is fairly straight forward, given that you practice on a closed road and get comfortable before trying to do so in rush hour traffic.

The problem with the scooter for longer and faster rides is that it really start to hurts arms and hands... after riding for 20-30 minutes my hands start to get numb.

It's because the weight of your body is pushed to the arms and hands on a scooter... but on bigger bikes, the weight is very minimal on the arms, it goes down to the legs and thighs, much much better... huge difference.

so, riding a CBR150/250/Ninja for longer rides is much more comfortable. even the Keeway RKV200 is good for commuting.

you can get a 2011/2012 CBR250 for 75-85K

or if you are really into bikes, the CBR500 is excellent for the city commuting and you can use for weekends touring.

Edited by brfsa2

I need to add:

I have a cbr150, cbr250 and a cbr500 and i found cbr500 is the best for commute and safest with abs. You can squeeze cbr500 as a scooter to any gap really and my commute is taking less time now than cbr250, same roads same traffic.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Commuting on my Ninja 650 is a breeze, I often leave PCXs and smaller scooters behind, Forzas don't stand a chance biggrin.png

Switching to a geared bike is fairly straight forward, given that you practice on a closed road and get comfortable before trying to do so in rush hour traffic.

0-60km/h of the line you will have a very difficult time keeping up with a Forza 300.tongue.png

I bought a CBR 250 to go from Theparak Road in Samut Prakarn, to Ramkhaemheng which is about 20 kilometers. I used to do it on a Yamaha Dragstar 1100 but as much as i love it, it is not made for the city. I guess what i am trying to say is that you should not buy too big a bike if it is for use in Bkk. I have never regretted buying the CBR, it has enough power to keep up with traffic, in other words perfect for Bkk.

Jan

The scooter is still irreplaceable when it comes to transporting something big,

since you cant use your left hand to hold it when you have a clutch.

You are brave to drive bike in bkk btw

I hang everything off my mirror stalks, youd be surprised how much they can hold :) ...

Commuting on my Ninja 650 is a breeze, I often leave PCXs and smaller scooters behind, Forzas don't stand a chance biggrin.png

0-60km/h of the line you will have a very difficult time keeping up with a Forza 300.tongue.png

If i didn't know how to launch a geared bike, I’m sure I would have troubles ;)

Breathing all that filth into your lungs by riding a motor bike around Bangkok must be a major health hazard equivalent to about 40 cigarettes a day.

Tell that to the Thai's that smoke while doing so :D

Bikes are a lot more exciting than smoking a fag...... Oppps I mean Cigarette

• Like 1

Breathing all that filth into your lungs by riding a motor bike around Bangkok must be a major health hazard equivalent to about 40 cigarettes a day.

Yes it is, but also you spend 10 minutes on the road with a bike or spend 1 hour inside the car stuck on traffic jam.

There is also some small pollution going inside the car.. so in the end you still eat pollution inside the car...

Sometimes I use those medical masks inside my helmet. it does help...

Edited by brfsa2

better than breathing plastic smell in a car. especially a car waiting under sun for a while. disgusting!

I dont know how its so bad in a car, with icy air compared to sweating to a 10 min traffic light. I also miss the motorcycle when I am in a car but for me this pollution is something I think should be avoided. I bought mask with changeable filters, few of them that I still try to sell hahaha. It makes me feel better (protected lungs) while breathing in traffic and after a week I can see the black particles on the filter making it greyish.

To answer your question it is not necessary to get a car for that distance.

You are good with a bike especially because you have experience with it already.

At least the scooter because you say you have never ridde a manual before.

If that's the case then I would suggest you to keep using the scooter to see if you are happy with it.

And definitely learn to ride a manual properly before you get on the roads in Bkk. Or anywhere else

for that matter.

Good luck

Thanks for the replies - much appreciated.

If I go the manual bike route, the new Ninja 300 looks pretty good. A little pricy, compared with say a PCX, but I'm sure once I got comfortable with it I'd never look back!

Decisions decisions...

• Like 1