3 Samet island resorts to be torn down for encroaching on national park

webfact

BANGKOK, 22 August 2013 (NNT) – The Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation is preparing to tear down 3 Samet Island resorts that encroach on national park areas this weekend.

According to Department chief Manophat Huamuangkaew, the natural resources and environment minister will visit Samet island this weekend to follow up on the progress of demolishing the 3 illegally-built resorts, namely Muk Samet, Unseen Resort and Phloi Samet, all of which are situated on Khao Laem Ya national park.

The director-general indicated that removal of the resorts had been delayed because the owners had filed for court protection. In the end, however, the court refused to review their cases, and officials will now proceed to remove the establishments.

The businesses will be asked whether they prefer to dismantle the resorts by themselves or have department officials carry out the task. If they chose the latter option, they would have to reimburse the department for the demolition expenses.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-08-22 footer_n.gif

Sad, for those whose dreams and money were wrapped around those places. The other side is, of course, if there are official park spaces, those should be strictly monitored. One hopes the useful materials will get recycled, rather than just thrown away, burnt or buried.

When I was in krabi area, last year, I saw monitor lizards twice, and a pair of black-colored birds courting. That was among the top gems of my recollections. Parks are special in many ways. Let's hope Thailand builds more and bigger ones, and keeps them as reasonably wild as can be expected. Indeed, the entire peninsula of Hat Railey (Railey Beach, near Ao Nang) could be declared a national park. As it is, it's being steadily degraded by tourist infrastructure. I saw a troop of monkeys there, and one of the largest trees I've seen in Thailand - probably soon to be chopped down, as is the fate of nearly all large trees in Thailand.

• Like 2

That's 3 resorts, and a whole raft of monthly backhanders to park officials, disappearing from view, then.

Did they forget to pay the backhanders???? But why NOW as they must have been operating a while, to build you have to ship in a vast amount of materials, and labour so what Municipality was involved in granting the building ??? I suggest go to the bleeding land office and ask some nice questions - do not give them an inactive post, make them demolish at their expense and pay compo for giving the go ahead. I naturally am only guessing as we only read what we see.

• Like 2

I think it's all a question of clout.

The resort owners can easily pay off the knuckle-draggers in the park entry booths who are happy to pocket 200 baht off all visitors. These are small-time players.

But now somebody high up has been alerted, who seems to have been too expensive to pay off.

That's the way it is in the Third World -- it's all about the pressure you can bring to bear, either financial, legal, or physical. Might is right.

• Like 1

Things like this can drag on for years as with resorts in the Kao Yai area some of which were spared because they were so well established.

The oil spill round Samet will affect tourism and suddenly the court order is to be enforced ?

One year ago, these 3 Samet island resorts were given one week to be torn down for encroaching on national park.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/1-week-demolition-deadline-for-illegal-Samet-resor-30189754.html

Prior to that 1 year, who gave permission is what we have to ask.

Big loss of money for the owners who relied on a piece of paper from local authorities for starting their business. Why is that no corrupt official has ever been arrested for issuing forged or fake documents ?

How do you know that they had documents at all? It was always my understanding that all of Koh Samet was a national park.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Any one knows where these resorts are on Koh Somet? I dont recognize their names

I've never heard of any of them either. I am guessing they are smaller resorts inland (makes sense geographically if they are encroaching).

Big loss of money for the owners who relied on a piece of paper from local authorities for starting their business. Why is that no corrupt official has ever been arrested for issuing forged or fake documents ?

How do you know that they had documents at all? It was always my understanding that all of Koh Samet was a national park.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I think you are right, BUT no one in their right mind would hire a boat and take construction materials man power without a go ahead, would any of us do it without permission or papers ????

I would like to know what nationality are the resort builders. Naturally a high local official must be involved. One or two notable persons on the Island would know. I remember years ago the electric generators were owned by 1 person, and you paid his rate, now I'm sure electricity is by under sea cable.

My next point is how could anyone illegally have an electric meter without having documents. ???? like on the mainland.

Pieces of paper from official(s) are not always needed. I've secured land in Thailand, on what is purportedly forestry land, and after paying the seller, I"ve gone on for the past 15 years doing modest improvements. No one has ever challenged my being there. Granted, the parcel did not and does not have chanod/title. There have even been government surveyors out there, and I've spoken with them, while they were surveying. One strong impression is: government often doesn't know what it's doing. It makes rules as it goes along, like an old vessel at sea with a broken mast, and an decrepit diesel motor which is missing on half its cylinders and running on tar oil.

There are literally thousands of parcels north of Chiang Rai with no title, within sight of downtown. Depending who you talk to, they're either forest land, CPB, no-man's-land, or some Chinese bought it 65 years ago. Yet there are thousands of families residing there. Thais are relatively new to the concept of private ownership of land. The Land Office, for its part, is awol. Similar to the hundreds of thousands of bureaucrats everywhere, in their thousands of buildings, their job description is as follows:

>>>> Show up for work

>>>> Appear to be busy, while doing as little as possible all day.

>>>> Repeat each work day, until retirement age

>>>> Get pension

I even asked the head man, at the Land Dept, when they might start issuing chanod, and with a big smile, he shouted my question to the 240 bureaucrats all sitting at their desks in the room, pretending to be busy, - and they all had a great collective smirk at my silly question.

• Like 1

Sad, for those whose dreams and money were wrapped around those places. The other side is, of course, if there are official park spaces, those should be strictly monitored. One hopes the useful materials will get recycled, rather than just thrown away, burnt or buried.

When I was in krabi area, last year, I saw monitor lizards twice, and a pair of black-colored birds courting. That was among the top gems of my recollections. Parks are special in many ways. Let's hope Thailand builds more and bigger ones, and keeps them as reasonably wild as can be expected. Indeed, the entire peninsula of Hat Railey (Railey Beach, near Ao Nang) could be declared a national park. As it is, it's being steadily degraded by tourist infrastructure. I saw a troop of monkeys there, and one of the largest trees I've seen in Thailand - probably soon to be chopped down, as is the fate of nearly all large trees in Thailand.

new to the "quoting" here on the forum. I was trying to just highlight the first sentence of the 2nd paragraph about seeing monitor lizards twice. those lizards are everywhere (phatumthani, at least). not endangered, unless krabi has some problem sustaining them. try jogging and make a blind corner where one of those things is crossing the street. scare the shit out of you. make you wake up, almost like an extremely spicy thai dish, or an isaan cold water shower. anyway my point, as if, umm.. as a frequent visitor to samet for years, it never harbored animals or marine life unique anywhere. nice island, but had been stripped of life, as most coasts have. I love the black-colored birds songs. think of them daily. ur right about that area should be all national park. MAJESTIC. imagine 50 years ago. but, umm maybe these resorts are being pinpointed because of the spill? doesn't matter, great memories

Edited by dukechance
  • Like 1

Any one knows where these resorts are on Koh Somet? I dont recognize their names

I've never heard of any of them either. I am guessing they are smaller resorts inland (makes sense geographically if they are encroaching).

Muk Samet (bungalows) is on Noi Naa Beach at the north end of the island, as is Ploy Samet (restaurant). These are probably owned by the same clan, as Muk means 'pearl' and Ploy means 'gem'. Both of them seem to be on the water, literally. Both of them say they are 'closed for refurbishment'.
Unseen Samet is in the same area, and seems to be located on stilts quite far out in the sea. (hence 'unseen').
It is quite possible all 3 have the same clan as owners.

Muk Samet (bungalows) is on Noi Naa Beach at the north end of the island, as is Ploy Samet (restaurant). These are probably owned by the same clan, as Muk means 'pearl' and Ploy means 'gem'. Both of them seem to be on the water, literally. Both of them say they are 'closed for refurbishment'.
Unseen Samet is in the same area, and seems to be located on stilts quite far out in the sea. (hence 'unseen').

Well that is interesting. Because the National Park entrance is further south. I always assumed it didn't stretch to the top of the island for that reason.

Well that is interesting. Because the National Park entrance is further south. I always assumed it didn't stretch to the top of the island for that reason.

In the past traveling from the pier along the only concrete road lined with shops, I think before you come to Whitesand beach the park gates spread across the road, where you paid your FEE.

Also when traveling with Maliboo you were taken by their boat directly to the beach at Tub Tim, wading through the surf with your bags to be met ON the beach by park officials, who collected entrance fees.

I think the north or part of it is not in the park reason for the shops etc to be there. If it was the park you would have to pay at the pier surely ???

In most countries, a national park means something along the lines of "a place where nature can flourish - with minimum impact and interference from humans."

I've only been to Samet 30 years ago. I would imagine even 100 years ago, Samet's ecosystem had already lost its battles with humans. Perhaps 600 years ago, there likely were marine turtles, exotic birds, seals, dugongs in estuaries, and whales offshore. Everywhere that humans go, most indigenous species decline or disappear, with the possible exception of Antarctica.

Samet, even at the time it was declared a national park, was already hurting environmentally. It's probably gone steadily downhill ever since, in that regard.

Hi

These resorts are in the north of Koh Samet - located in Ao Klang, next to the fishfarm just past Nadan Harbour.. the first two are owned by Samed Resorts,

one is Mook Samed - only for vip guests of the owners of Samed Resorts, the other one is the fish restaurant Ban Ploy Samed - opposite & part of Baan Ploy Sea Resort.

The 3rd one is unseen samed resort - this is owned by the owner of Saikaew Villa in Saikaew Beach, he used to live here.

How the hell do these resorts get built anyway in the first place? Where is the local council approval, the plans, the lawyers. Bloody hell what a place to invest your life savings, it will never happen to me. Only fools invest their money in Thailand.

Pieces of paper from official(s) are not always needed.  I've secured land in Thailand, on what is purportedly forestry land, and after paying the seller, I"ve gone on for the past 15 years doing modest improvements.  No one has ever challenged my being there.  Granted, the parcel did not and does not have chanod/title.  There have even been government surveyors out there, and I've spoken with them, while they were surveying.  One strong impression is: government often doesn't know what it's doing.  It makes rules as it goes along, like an old vessel at sea with a broken mast, and an decrepit diesel motor which is missing on half its cylinders and running on tar oil.

There are literally thousands of parcels north of Chiang Rai with no title, within sight of downtown.  Depending who you talk to, they're either forest land, CPB, no-man's-land, or some Chinese bought it 65 years ago. Yet there are thousands of families residing there.  Thais are relatively new to the concept of private ownership of land.  The Land Office, for its part, is awol. Similar to the hundreds of thousands of bureaucrats everywhere, in their thousands of buildings, their job description is as follows:

>>>>  Show up for work

>>>>  Appear to be busy, while doing as little as possible all day. 

>>>>  Repeat each work day, until retirement age

>>>>  Get pension

I even asked the head man, at the Land Dept, when they might start issuing chanod, and with a big smile, he shouted my question to the 240 bureaucrats all sitting at their desks in the room, pretending to be busy, - and they all had a great collective smirk at my silly question.

OP is talking about hotels. I do not know what sort of property you have in a forestry land but it would be very strange for an investor to risk all his asset building a hotel without permission and papers. I was told that in Koh Samui many investors built hotels on public forest thanks to corrupt officials who issued fake chanote titles.

What about foreigners who have built multi million baht villas on Phuket,Hua HIn . Isnt alot of that land Crown and National parks land ?

I wouldnt want to be a farang with a villa in Phuket.

One quiet morning having your coffee comes that dreaded knock on the door . Thai officials with clip board and tape. goodbye farang.