3 Samet island resorts to be torn down for encroaching on national park

webfact

As reported by a few people already the resorts are based on the Northern coast of the island which isnt strictly considered national park land, however the 3 buildings in question are stilted buildings out over the sea and the sea surrounding samed and local islands is all covered by the national park. All 3 are owned now by samed resorts the largest company on the island who also run the likes of paradee and ao prao resort.

From what I heard when I worked eith samed resorts the buildings were built many years ago, maybe 15 years or more by fishermen as very basic structures to keep fish farms but they were later told the buildings as they stood could remain until they became unusable and then they would have to be pulled down. What then happened, how I dont know for sure and I wont speculate the company in question did vast improvements to the structures and supports and that is when the authorities took note and started these proceedings.

I would be very surprised to see any developements in this story anytime soon.

Its a pity as they are beautiful building. If they are not actively diminishing the local area or killing aquatic life its a pity they dont try to come to some sort of arrangement to use the buildings to educate school kids about the aquatic world instead of just ripping them down imo.

• 4 weeks later...

Things like this can drag on for years as with resorts in the Kao Yai area some of which were spared because they were so well established.

The oil spill round Samet will affect tourism and suddenly the court order is to be enforced ?

Khao Yai dragged on due to pollie ownership.