Cardiology care in Thailand

trevoromgh

Unfortunately, over the last 9 years I've been through a couple of heart attacks and had many stents plus an ICD (Pacemaker) fitted which I'm pleased to say has given me a new lease on life here in the UK. My Thai wife and I would however like to return to Thailand to live but obviously my major concern is the level and depth of cardiology medical skills to be found in Thailand right now.

On a recent holiday to Bangkok & Chiang Mai we visited several hospitals for me to try and assess what care I might expect to get. The first hospital visited was the Chiang Mai Ram Hospital but no-one below a doctor was capable of answering any questions on the subject and after waiting in a long queue for ages we walked out. The second hospital was the Nakorn Maharaj CM Hospital (aka Sriphat Hospital) we met a doctor who said there would be 'no problem' and my ICD was supported but was not able to show me the facilities they had.

Back in Bangkok I understand they probably do have the skills and facilities required in hospitals like the Bumrungrad however given it's location, in the centre of the city, in an emergency you are likely to be sat in an ambulance for hours trying to get there .... not a good thing. So are there any suburban hospitals offering equally good facilities?

I guess I'm looking for some words of reassurance from people who've got heart problems and have had experience of treatment in Thai hospitals and who can possibly recommend cardiology doctors and hospitals in either city.

Before I make a final decision on moving over I intend to make another holiday visit to follow-up any recommendations and seek definitive assurance that such cardiology care exists (albeit at a price) in both locations.

Thanks for any help you can offer

You are quite wise to take into account the avaulability of quality care and travel time to same.

Pleases that I would recommend outside of central Bangkok are:

1. Siriiraj Hospital - on the Thonburi side of the river so many would consider this area "suburban". Siriraj now has a rpivate facuility adjacent to its public one, but obviously costing much more. The public facility is fine in terms of quality but like all government hospitals, lost of red tape and long waits - but this does nto apply to emergencies and I would have no hesitation at all in advising someone woith a cardiac emergency to go to the Siriraj ER. The Royal family uses this hospital and it is affiliated with the nations' leading medical school (Mahidol).

2. CMU Hospital (Sripat being the semi-private division of same).

3. Khon Kaen University Hospital in Khoin Kaen.

All three are acceptable but Siriraj has the leading edge, it is where all the top researchers etc are based (along with Chulalonghorn, but that's in the dead center of Bkk).

Need to consider cost though as with such pre-existing conditions you will not be able to get local insurance. Even at the government hospital private wings, a major cardiac event can easily run to a million baht or more. Your wife as a Thai citizen will be eligible for free care but not you.

Also need to consider if you will lose access to the NHS in the UK as I gather one can if out of the country for a long period. There have been past threads on this posted by persons more knowledgable than I, try a search in this forum for NHS.

trevoromgh

I would second Sheryl's comments.

I suspect you already are aware that obtaining any worthwhile health insurance will be virtually impossible and I would urge that you check how long a period you are allowed out of the UK before loosing your access to the NHS.

Prior to making any futher plans may I also suggest you check with your GP +/- Cardiologist so as to ensure that you are "fit" to undertake a 12 hour+ flight. (The airline you choose may have health requirements which you will need to meet )

Finally you will undoubtedly be on at least some medication most of which will be available in Thailand. Some brand name, imported, medication though can be expensive.

I wish you well and hope everything turns out well for both you and your wife.

Dear Sheryl & Jrtmedic,

Thanks very much for your suggestions which I shall follow-up online and when I return to Thailand. The NHS cover cutoff is currently 3 months outside the UK (they were talking of raising this to 6 months but never happened) so a real PITA but if one gives them assurance you are coming back to stay then you will get free care again, so in other words you have to lie and be labelled as yet another health tourist (what a cheek when you've paid NI contributions for decades) or don't tell them when you leave.

I noticed that the Bangkok Heart Hospital is relatively close to where my Bangkok condo is located and I wondered if either of you have heard of it and know how it rates compared with your other suggestions?

I will have money put aside for medical emergency but it is difficult to know how much to keep handy but a miilion or two should not be an issue.

As for fitness to travel the doctors gave me a green light on that so no problems there thanks. I checked out the medication and as you say mostly available over there and the price wasn't too bad.

Thanks again for your help and good wishes, I'd really like to come to Thailand but it is this last obstacle I have to clear before I can commit.

The Bangkok Hospital Heart Institute has adequate facilities and some well qualified doctors. In addition there is an institute devoted to problems with cardiac electrophysiology (including placement and servicing of ICDs) within the Bangkok Hospital complex, though I am not sure if it is in the Heart Hospital building itself. Anyway its all in the same complex.

http://www.bangkokhospital.com/pacific-rim/?Home

You can click on the doctors names to see their CVs.

However as a private hospital costs will be very, very high. I made a typo when I said "government hospital private wings", meant to say public wing, i.e. care in a government hospital (the least expensive option) can easily run to s few million baht. Care at a private hospital can go much more if for example a prolonged ICU stay and surgeries are involved.

OK Sheryl point taken about the costs which may, in the end, price Thailand out of my reach at least for residence but all the while I can get travel insurance (which I can currently) at a reasonable-ish rate then I may have to content myself with long holidays there over the UK Winter time say 2 months at a time. It would be nice if one day the Thai Medical authorities and the NHS agreed reciprocal arrangements for its citizens then the problem might go away.

Sheryl, if I may could you give me a ball park figure for an angiogram and a stent placement in a top BKK hospital.

Op apologies for piggybacking on your thread.

Edited by canman

OK Sheryl point taken about the costs which may, in the end, price Thailand out of my reach at least for residence but all the while I can get travel insurance (which I can currently) at a reasonable-ish rate then I may have to content myself with long holidays there over the UK Winter time say 2 months at a time. It would be nice if one day the Thai Medical authorities and the NHS agreed reciprocal arrangements for its citizens then the problem might go away.

Need to take care re travel insurance and pre-existing conditions; read the policy carefully on that point.

Sheryl, if I may could you give me a ball park figure for an angiogram and a stent placement in a top BKK hospital.

Op apologies for piggybacking on your thread.

I paid 300k at Vejthani Hospital in Bangkok two years ago for coronary angioplasty and 2 non-medicated stents (do need for thyroid operation). Half dozen or more areas of expansion and one night in CCU with access from wrist. Have seen lower price packages on-line but suspect stents are charged extra if required.

Will depend on he number of stents, as the devices themselves are expensive. These days, a single stent placement runs in excess of 300K baht (over 400K in some hospitals).

If uninsured, it is worth the extra red tape and wait times to have this done in a government hospital. Will reduce costs by more than half.

Will depend on he number of stents, as the devices themselves are expensive. These days, a single stent placement runs in excess of 300K baht (over 400K in some hospitals).

If uninsured, it is worth the extra red tape and wait times to have this done in a government hospital. Will reduce costs by more than half.

[/quote

The price of a medicated stent is about 28 000 THB placement of one stent in the hospital of the PSU in Had Yai is about 120 000 THB in the Banghkok Had Yai hospital 2years ago placement of one stent was approx. 280 000 THB.