The Mexican Grill is good!

junglechef

• 9 months later...

Miguel's tastes pretty Cali-Mex to this native Californian at a 1/3 of the price....

Me too. I often say that I would not be impressed if I had their food in San Francisco, but I would not be angry either. That is high praise indeed for a Mexican restaurant in Thailand.

It reminds me of the burritos that you would buy in little neighborhood grocery stores in SF, because it is more convenient than going all the way to the Mission. I have noticed that Miguel's is full a lot when other places are empty.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Is there an item on Miguel's menu which is particularly good? I tried the beef tacos and it was just OK.

I mostly have the burritos with sour cream and guacamole when in season, but I'm afraid that "OK" might be the best that you can do in Thailand, when it comes to Mexican food. For many years, it was impossible to get even OK Mexican food in CM, so I'm grateful for what we have.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

So nobody has mentioned tamales... Does any Mexican restaurants in CM sell a good tamale? While visiting my brother who was living in Houston at the time during a Christmas one year his neighbor (who was Mexican) brought us over some of the best tamales I have ever eaten... I still reminisce about that and it's been over 30 years.....

Miguel's used to sell tamales when Hamburger Mike - the original owner - was still running it. However, I'm not sure how authentic they were as the only tamales I had eaten before his were canned ones in USA. The new owner might have them as well, but, if so, I have never noticed.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Miguel's used to sell tamales when Hamburger Mike - the original owner - was still running it. However, I'm not sure how authentic they were as the only tamales I had eaten before his were canned ones in USA. The new owner might have them as well, but, if so, I have never noticed.

Haven't been available at Miguels for years.

Haven't been available at Miguels for years.

That's what I was thinking as I tend to get my Mexican crave on at Miguel's and I never noticed them on the menu....

Rimping sells various types of tortillas, and sour cream- and refried beans!

Easy to make Salsa to your own taste, if you are up for making Mex at home, with ground chicken pork or whatever. And beer...

• 3 years later...
On 8/23/2013 at 6:07 PM, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Yep drive by it almost daily and have yet to see 1 person in there..guess its more in the evening i drive past..

My concerns with this, having been a cook for 25 yrs, is just how fresh is the food...as opposed to a high

turnover place ur assured of food being used daily and fresh food brought in..im not big on frozen and microwaves

Hence my passing by and not stopping in as in my exps working in kitchens food waste is money lost, or all frozen.....

Just cant see this place making it as it seems large, right on canal, and add all the other mex places in Cm already..

Hahahahah! You've been a cook for 25 years?!? Okeh!

You completely trash the place without even trying the food first. 

Great hack job! But why?

I actually stopped in tried the food. Pork fajitas, tortilla soup, fresh and very tasty. People who run the place are very nice, speak good English. Can't wait to go back!

Wow old thread!

I'll be honest and say that I have passed by this place perhaps 10 times over the years, pulled over in front and have never once seen a single customer in there during meal times. Have never seen it mentioned in any of the C.M. FB food groups either. I wonder how they stay in business? I'm not opposed to trying it but when the wife has been with me , she refuses to go to a place with no customers.

2 hours ago, elektrified said:

Wow old thread!

I'll be honest and say that I have passed by this place perhaps 10 times over the years, pulled over in front and have never once seen a single customer in there during meal times. Have never seen it mentioned in any of the C.M. FB food groups either. I wonder how they stay in business? I'm not opposed to trying it but when the wife has been with me , she refuses to go to a place with no customers.

the reason you don't see anyone in there is because this post is so OLD...that all the customers are

dead by now......but mexican food has a way of emerging some time after eating it.

• Sad 1

• 5 months later...

I went there recently. It may not be packed but the food was good. I still prefer the Salsa Kitchen in general but I thought the food here was good and the two have very different styles. The enchiladas and quesadillas were better than the Salsa Kitchen's imo, but hard to touch the Salsa Kitchen's chicken (which is stellar). I'll definitely go again as it's near the house and pretty tasty.

I went a few years ago and it was good, but very out of the way. To me, Salsa Kitchen is in no way authentic, but still tastes good and reminiscent of American- style Mexican. Miguel's is my favorite In Chiang Mai  and as good as many little neighborhood places in Southern California.

• Like 2

On 8/23/2013 at 6:00 PM, RaysFan said:

Mexican food is probably my biggest craving since I've lived abroad... I'll give this one a try for sure. I like Miguels, but its just not the same as back home. If it was in America it would be very very sub par.

Side note... Why dont they do free all you can eat chips and salsa in Thailand? I mean, they charge western prices, and Mexican food here isnt expensive to make (other than the cheese). Just something I really miss... It kind of defines what a Mexican restaurant is to me.

Anyone know a place to get good mole?

Have you tried Salsa Kitchen near Mae Chok Plaza?  We are probably supporting 10% of their gross income.  Born and raised in SoCal.  Sorry, just realized a lot of other Salsa Kitchen responses.  I do find the one near Mae Chok Plaza seems better than the one in town.

Edited by DrPhibes
not reading the entire blog

On 8/23/2013 at 6:00 PM, RaysFan said:

Mexican food is probably my biggest craving since I've lived abroad... I'll give this one a try for sure. I like Miguels, but its just not the same as back home. If it was in America it would be very very sub par.

Side note... Why dont they do free all you can eat chips and salsa in Thailand? I mean, they charge western prices, and Mexican food here isnt expensive to make (other than the cheese). Just something I really miss... It kind of defines what a Mexican restaurant is to me.

Anyone know a place to get good mole?

Mole most people do not know what mole is and you want it in Chiang Mai. You have to be very good to make good mole the right combination of chocolate and red chili