The Mexican Grill is good!

junglechef

I'm visiting the SF Bay Area at the moment so I am eating out quite a bit. About 40% Thai, 40% Mexican, and about 20% other including Indian, Chinese, Indonesian, etc. Strangely enough not much American food.

So here's my question. I really like ceviche, around here it may be served on an open taco or as a cocktail in a martini glass for example. Do any of the Mexican restaurants in Chiang Mai serve ceviche?

Since limes and chili peppers are quite abundant in Thailand I am wondering if there are any Thai dishes that are similar to ceviche. Anyone know of any Thai restaurant in Chiang Mai serving something similar?

- Grin

Taqueria Maya on Church St., SF is some of the best Mexican I have ever head. Taqueria San Jose on Fruitvale in Oakland is in a league of its own. Picante Berkeley used to be tops until the new owner made changes.

yeah but it aint ceviche. Check this recipe out using tilapia (pla nin). Too bad the pak chee here isn't quite like the cilantro from the old country...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/marcela-valladolid/tilapia-ceviche-recipe/index.html

Leo with a little lime juice accompanies this well...

Agreed and I have been round and round arguing with people who say pak chee is cilantro. But as you know, it is not.

yeah but it aint ceviche. Check this recipe out using tilapia (pla nin). Too bad the pak chee here isn't quite like the cilantro from the old country...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/marcela-valladolid/tilapia-ceviche-recipe/index.html

Agreed and I have been round and round arguing with people who say pak chee is cilantro. But as you know, it is not.

I would love some elaboration. Especially w/scientific names. Coriandrum sativum vs. what?

Just a gardener/farmer trying to learn more.

As in Coriander? Because the stuff I buy here regularly every week (and grow myself from Coriander seeds) is most certainly Coriander.

• 1 month later...

We all know "Mexican food" is American.... Its tiny bits and pieces of "Mexican" but Mexican food is pretty much as American as it gets. Growing up I probably had more "Mexican food" than anything else...

Wow. Thats as ignorant as a post gets. I'm from America and I know the difference between American Mexican and Real Mexican. Fajitas were created in Texas awhile back.. which is what we call Tex-Mex in the South. Tex-Mex and Mexican are similar but different cuisines. The guy from Mexican Grill is originally from Texas, so he knows his stuff when it comes to Tex-Mex cuisine. Real Mexican is a whole different ballgame.. Just look up Rick Bayless, a famous chef who cooks authentic Mexican cuisine.

Edited by noappendix

Well I did go back to the Mexican Grill for the fajitas as I said in my OP.

First had an app of chips and quacamole and the the chips were homemade and excellent but were not salted. They came out warm from the fryer which would have been the perfect time to salt as the salt would have melted and stuck but just left me salting them at the table and watching the salt bounce off them and landing on my plate. When I inquired if they had quac I was told avocados were out of season and watery during the rainy season but after asking the kitchen was informed they did have it. I was served very pale green watery and flavorless quac, not only not seasoned but no attempt was made to make up for the out of season product such as adding oil for impart some necessary richness. If something is not good dont serve it like I was originally told. They were not serving margaritas because the price of lines were high.

Then came the the fajitas which I ordered chicken on the advice of the owner. The sizzling platter was putting out so much steam, right up to the ceiling, and it was placed on the bar out of my sight so I didn't get to enjoy the sounds and smell of the presentation that one orders them for. I believe it was too hot and had too much liquid. The opinions and peppers seemed to be cooked perfectly but once on the platter overcooked to a slimy mess that was not very good. On top of it was a fanned out chicken breast. It seemed that the chicken was marinated and cooked whole as everything but the outside edge was browned. They are suppose to be cut in bite size strips, marinated and then cooked so each piece is highly flavored, colored and has a nice bite in texture. Served with refreid beans and some cheese to garnish.

This with a coke and tip was 500 bht. A lot for Mexican food for one and way too much for this inferior quasi-TexMex. I had a companion sitting with me and by looking at the empty dining room at least the could have given us four not three tortillas in case we were sharing to show appreciation of the customers they did have.

I really had high hopes but just too many little and not so little things wrong make up for a most probably second time will be the last time experience.

Edited by junglechef
  • Like 1

i hate it when they give an odd number of tortillas for an even number of customers.

<deleted>

as for the avocados, there are two varieties available, one is watery one is not (the smaller kind) ;)

as for the avocados, there are two varieties available, one is watery one is not (the smaller kind) wink.png

One of my favorite Mexican restaurants here mixes mayonaise with the quacamole to give it some taste. I bought avocados almost every day for a month at the market near the river. I got about 3 non-watery avocados during that whole time, so I just gave up and have not bothered with them since.

as for the avocados, there are two varieties available, one is watery one is not (the smaller kind) wink.png

One of my favorite Mexican restaurants here mixes mayonaise with the quacamole to give it some taste. I bought avocados almost every day for a month at the market near the river. I got about 3 non-watery avocados during that whole time, so I just gave up and have not bothered with them since.

If you go to that new market on the right before the US consulate heading towards the river (fabrique road), and go to the back right of that new market a lady has the non watery type of avocados. wink.png

edit: if you dont see anyone at the stand... walk closer, she might be sleeping ...shes very prudent about the non watery avocados.

Edited by KRS1

i hate it when they give an odd number of tortillas for an even number of customers.

<deleted>

as for the avocados, there are two varieties available, one is watery one is not (the smaller kind) ;)

If I'm not misunderstanding your <deleted>, I think for one person to have one fajita and the other two is just a lack of anticipating your customers needs. I'm not saying its of major importance in the scope of the world's problems or this even this meal's but was worth mentioning as it showed a lack of customer service. Even my Thai companion mentioned it to me on her own. Anyways there should have been enough tortillas in proportion to the filling which was not nearly the case and I ended up eating half of it on a bed of rice (which I forgot to mention) and beans. Not what I wanted nor expected when ordering fajitas. For all those who don't understand why the opinion of a food service profffesional can carry some weight this is a prefect example. The restaurantuer's job is to ensure the customer has an enjoyable experience without necessarily noticing everything that made it special. Having to awkwardly decide who gets twice as many of the main dish does not make the perfect dining scenerio especially when the other person might not be a causal friend.

<deleted>, all I'm saying is for a better product they should GAF (Give A F...) a little more with the details.

• Like 2

That is correct, you don't see burritos in Mexico, either. Another thing is good Mexican is almost always relatively cheap, as is good Thai food. A mexican factory worker makes about 70 USD per week.....a teacher 45 USD. Think they can drop 15 a piece on dinner? No way Jose! Pick and choose.....pick is when you make a selection, choose are what a mexican doesn't have on his feet. And the cops over there.......sheeesh, make BiB look like Eagle Scouts on a Mormon Mission.

I kind of gave up on the thread. I couldn't figure out if you were talking about Tex Mex Cal Mex or real Mexican food you would find off the tourist routes.

Also was disappointed no one had mentioned nachos. I love the ones at Miguel's. the wife loves the cascadeas at the Dukes. Sorry about the spelling.

Now I am wondering if either one is Mexican. Not that it matters I still like the Nachos. The wife thinks she is eating Mexican Pizza, I am not even going to try to explain it to her.

That is correct, you don't see burritos in Mexico, either. Another thing is good Mexican is almost always relatively cheap, as is good Thai food. A mexican factory worker makes about 70 USD per week.....a teacher 45 USD. Think they can drop 15 a piece on dinner? No way Jose! Pick and choose.....pick is when you make a selection, choose are what a mexican doesn't have on his feet. And the cops over there.......sheeesh, make BiB look like Eagle Scouts on a Mormon Mission.

I kind of gave up on the thread. I couldn't figure out if you were talking about Tex Mex Cal Mex or real Mexican food you would find off the tourist routes.

Also was disappointed no one had mentioned nachos. I love the ones at Miguel's. the wife loves the cascadeas at the Dukes. Sorry about the spelling.

Now I am wondering if either one is Mexican. Not that it matters I still like the Nachos. The wife thinks she is eating Mexican Pizza, I am not even going to try to explain it to her.

If you like chili cheese nachos, definately give Salsa Kitchen a try.

Cheese is melted into the chili and enough to make you full, served in a bowl - 99 baht.

I think i'll go and get some today actually....just talked myself into it :)

Salsa Kitchen's chicken burritos are good too. Like most places here, they don't taste authentic, more like a bean, cheese and chicken wrap, but they are tasty with healthy ingredients.

That is what I am looking for the taste. I don't give a fig's <deleted>> if it is Tex Mex Cal Mex or real Mexican. This drive to have it taste right is beyond my grasp. I am like my friend who was a professional chief and studied under some word class chefs. He points out what is wrong with each dish and when we are done with the meal he say's that was good.

Salsa Kitchen's chicken burritos are good too. Like most places here, they don't taste authentic, more like a bean, cheese and chicken wrap, but they are tasty with healthy ingredients.

That is what I am looking for the taste. I don't give a fig's <deleted>> if it is Tex Mex Cal Mex or real Mexican. This drive to have it taste right is beyond my grasp. I am like my friend who was a professional chief and studied under some word class chefs. He points out what is wrong with each dish and when we are done with the meal he say's that was good.

It is a pain in the ass eating with people who are always pointing what in their opinion, and it is just their opinion, is wrong with every dish served. If I want a cooking class, I take one.

You know what they say "you can pick your friends and you can pick you nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose!" Same holds true to who you dine with or whose food posts you read. My dining companions and myself like to discuss what we are eating as its our passion and hobby. We especially enjoy finding excellent food to savor and complement together. But it is true that being a exacting critic goes with the territory of being a Chef.

Since I have discussed fajitas in this thread and Salsa Kitchen has been mentioned I once ordered them and they came out on a plate not a sizzle platter like pictured. Was given some lame excuse about it being dangerous or something. The tortillas were cold and raw so that to me shows that they don't understand the basics of the cuisine they are serving much like the other restaurant in discussion here. Add that to the way they responded to my question I haven't returned.

It is a pain in the ass eating with people who are always pointing what in their opinion, and it is just their opinion, is wrong with every dish served. If I want a cooking class, I take one.

Try eating with someone who only eats chicken breast.

If one dish is bad, it doesnt mean every dish will be bad.

Off topic, I realize, and not really contributing to the serious business at hand, but....... "cascadeas" has got to be my very favorite "Dollyism" ever!clap2.gif

• Like 2

I stand corrected that the picture of the fajitas on Salsa Kitchens menu is a black plate not an iron sizzle platter. I apologize for misinforming and will be more careful in the future on the accuracy of my posts. For the sake of full disclosure this was brought to my attention by the proprietor with the request that I post a correction. I also apologized personally and said I would have admitted my mistake even without him asking. I found it appropriate that he contacted me in the Proffesional manner he did and promised that I would indeed be in again.

Off topic, I realize, and not really contributing to the serious business at hand, but....... "cascadeas" has got to be my very favorite "Dollyism" ever!clap2.gif

Thank you. You should see some of my other ones I have had to rewrite the sentience because not only would spell check not find them I couldent find them in a dictionary I have that offers suggestions.

I knew when I put it there it was wrong but I was to lazy to go back and find the post that had mentioned it and copy it. I knew that people who understand the subject would understand.

As for my friend who tells me what is rite or wrong he like junglechef was a very succesful chef. Truth is he dosen't tell me unless I ask him. Which I do as I find it interesting. It is not an opinion it comes from knowledge such as junglechef and more than likely one or two others on these threads has. The point I was trying to get through to some of the people was who cares if it is perfect as long as you like it. Surprisingly not every one has to have there food perfect in order to like it or reorder it again.

Apparently I have gained interest as you can see I am back I find the whole thing interesting. For instance did you know that in California when the food inspector comes to inspect the place you can get demerits for a light burned out.

• Like 1