Thai Restaurants Overseas - Good Or Bad?

astral

Been to a few thai restaurants in England, all tend to be quite expensive and a little dissapointing although 'spicey basil' on the kilburn high road in london - is as cheap as chips (well almost) and the food is equally as good as the more upmarket restaurants - (this place more a cafe than a restaurant).

I went to th Blue Elephant in Bangkok once - it was right next to where we were living so we gave it a try - not knowing that it prided itself on being one of the best thai restaurants. The meal for two came to about as much as ive ever paid for a meal anywhere!! nice but not that nice!!

• 2 months later...

I have owned several Thai restaurants and am kin to a Chef for Blue Elephant put it this way when he comes over for some beers I do the cooking! actualy come to think about it when any of my friends of family come over I do the cooking don't ask me to cook Thai only Isan. To be Honest A lot of people enjoy the Blue Elephant I have not eaten there in years so after reading this thread am going to go try it tonight. By the way the restaurant is opening new branches every year. Question for any one is the orginal owner Thai?

This is a really interesting thread for me. I am considering opeing a Thai restaurant in the UK. There isn't one withing 30 miles of my desired location. Could any of you guys give me any sort of suggestions regarding the ideal menu (for westerners mainly) and maybe type of decor? People around here are very much into their Indian and Chinese food. I think they need another alternative. I would be greatfull for any feed-back.

I have yet to find Thai food of equal Caliber of that found in Thailand outside of Thailand. I have tried in expensive and cheap and despite the owners and operators being Thai it just doesn't stack up to most Thai food that is easily accessible in Thailand. Not that it isn't good but it just isn't great as it often is in Thailand.

The price doesn't seem to matter. I have yet to figure out why there is a flavor difference. I know much of it is due to the fact that not all Thai ingrediants can be found outside of Thailand. Most ...but not all and apparently 1 or 2 substitute items affect the flavor more than one would think. Combine that with the fact that most places outside of Thailand do not make things as spicy as they would in Thailand and you get huge differences. There it is more than simply the level of spicyness found in the food. But the fact that the spices seem to bring out the rest of the flavors means the lack of the same level of spicyness reduces the flavor.

It just isn't the same.

Just discovered this thread and cannot resist telling my silly tale..

Went to the Thai restaurant in Weston super Mare (UK), as an invitee of a business contact. She booked Thai as she knew that I lived here and she wanted to give some comfort and "show off" factor. :D

I duly ordered in thai to a smiling waitress, who didn't understand a word, as she was chinese!!! :D

Her colleague came over, tried again to no avail (another chinese).. :D

Then asked (in english) if there was actually any Thais in the establishment, to be told that no - this was chinese owned and did not want to compete with the chinese restaurant up the road as it was the same family!!! :o

Needless to say, the food was not so good... :D

Edited by bkkandrew

There are so many Thai restaurants in Australia that you are bound to find one close by of quite good quality.

Thai food is similar but never the same wherever you go.

I have eaten better Thai food in Sydney than in Thailand but i did pay a lot more for it.

The best Thai i have been to in Australia is in Brisbane in Fortitude Valley the Wi Rat...unfortunately named but superb food.

I have yet to find Thai food of equal Caliber of that found in Thailand outside of Thailand. I have tried in expensive and cheap and despite the owners and operators being Thai it just doesn't stack up to most Thai food that is easily accessible in Thailand. Not that it isn't good but it just isn't great as it often is in Thailand.

The price doesn't seem to matter. I have yet to figure out why there is a flavor difference. I know much of it is due to the fact that not all Thai ingrediants can be found outside of Thailand. Most ...but not all and apparently 1 or 2 substitute items affect the flavor more than one would think. Combine that with the fact that most places outside of Thailand do not make things as spicy as they would in Thailand and you get huge differences. There it is more than simply the level of spicyness found in the food. But the fact that the spices seem to bring out the rest of the flavors means the lack of the same level of spicyness reduces the flavor.

It just isn't the same.

Aaaah... My favorite Thai topic - Thai food!

Unfortunately, you will never find the identical taste in the West. Close, but never the same unless ingredients from Thailand are flown in. The level of spiciness, sweetness, saltiness, and sourness of Thai food cannot be duplicated. Ingredients such as lemongrass, spicy basil, lime, garlic, and chili are just not as flavorful, spicy, and pungent in the West. The secret lies in Thailand's climate and soil.

The closest you'll get to the real thing is in a Thai restaurant that caters to Thais. Not only is it close to the real thing, the serving is more generous and the prices very reasonable.

Those catering to non-Thai, most white, are ones I steer clear from. Most mid-priced ones in my opinion are average at best to downright lousy. Sometimes I leave the place thinking that I'd have done better with a Big Mac. The upscale restaurants tend to do a good job, but they're pricey and the serving is small. You're paying for the atmosphere and opportunity to stare at lovely, young stuck-up Thai chicks looking for rich white boys (and old geezers) to latch onto.

Just a few thoughts and observations from a Thai food lover in Los Angeles.

Ok i have a report about the Blue Elephant went there last night like I said i would. Might be good to some folks but not for me. my meal and friends was a total of 131 us dollars plus tips and drinks. over priced even as nice as the place is not worth it think only thai in the place the chef-(kin to me) I know he is shy about the taste but i told him not to worry i know they have recipe they have to follow.

• 11 months later...
That said, I've never been to a Thai restaurant outside Thailand that could prepare classic Thai cuisine as well as it's prepared at the better spots here in the kingdom. :o

Yep, I totally agree about that! I have also found my favourite spot outside Bangkok here in the East of London.

Somehow I think they are more authentic here than they are in other parts of Europe, like France, Germany or Poland... But I don't know why - the British taste maybe more like the Asian?

Thai Restaurant | Exclusive Asian Cuisine

I have lived here 20 years and the only "Thai" food that I've ever liked has really been Chinese, Malaysian, or Muslim dishes that are eaten frequently by Thais but not really Thai.

I really enjoy the cuisine in Hong Kong, Singapore and Vietnam, but I just don't "get" Thai food at all. :o

Thai food is similar but never the same wherever you go.

I have eaten better Thai food in Sydney than in Thailand but i did pay a lot more for it.

Sorry i just don't believe that. Or maybe you only went to the tourist restaurants in Thailand. I have been to a few Thai restaurants here in Sydney and they just dont measure up. Been to some expensive and not so expensive. The food wasn't shit. But just wasnt as nice as i have had at home or in Thailand where i lived for 5 years. The last one i was in the other week i ordered Pad See You nua. It came and i asked for some Chilli , fish sauce and vinegar so i could mix like i done many times in Thailand. I asked in Thai/ She said they didnt have. :o So the wife asked another guy and he brought some chilli but no fish asuce or vinegar. So we wont be going there again. What get sme is. You can get every ingredient here to make real authentic Thai food. Unfortunately they dont.

I see Blue Elephant advertised on the front of The Nation jobs section today for staff for their restaurants in Jakarta, Moscow & elsewhere. Restaurant managers/Assistants, Chefs, Receptionists & waiters/waitresses. Do they generally use all Thai staff in their overseas restaurants or is this a new change, maybe to make them more authentic?