What's the difference between E20 and 91 alcohol?

jiangaq

What makes me wonder a lil bit is that nobody is talking about the oil change when using gasohol, especially here in the high humidity of the LoS rolleyes.gif

Lead on.

Since I don't talk about any possible advantage of gasohol and also don't use that crap I think it's up to the people talking of all the good things gasohol should have (or maybe not) - and so it's up to all of them to take the lead since they should know about this also.

Gasoline 91, 100% gasoline, 114,000 BTU/US gallon, 91 Octane

Gasohol 91 90% 112,000 91

E20 80% 106,420 95

E100 0% 76,100

There is less energy content in alcohol, so it could lower your milage. I googled gasohol and found one site that claimed some (flex fuel) cars milage is the same or slightly better when running on E20. I'm just the messenger, so don't flame me on this smile.png

I had a 2008 Honda Wave 110i and currently have a 2011 CBR250R and I used E20 in both of them... E20 usually sells at a 2.5 baht discount from the E10 (Gasohol91) Its also higher octane.

Some folks refuse to use Gasohol, but as long as the blend contains ethanol alcohol, I can not see a problem.

The Ford Model T, in production from 1908-27, could run 100% ethanol, then why can't modern engines tolerate 20% alcohol?

The Model T had a front-mounted 177-cubic-inch (2.9 L) inline four-cylinder engine, producing 20 hp (15 kW), for a top speed of 40–45 mph (64–72 km/h). According to Ford Motor Company, the Model T had fuel economy on the order of 13–21 mpg-US (16–25 mpg-imp; 18–11 L/100 km).[13] The engine was capable of running on gasoline, kerosene, or ethanol,[14][15] although the decreasing cost of gasoline and the later introduction of Prohibition made ethanol an impractical fuel for most users.

Above quoted from Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Model_T

Edited by Lancelot

Nigel. Agree with your thoughts and experience on E10 and E20. I wouldn't use E20 on such a small motor as the Suzuki Swift.

I'm sure alcohol additions to gasoline are political, and I cannot see oil companies agreeing at all. It possibly has lowered the importing of oil by a small percentage, and I know how devastating this has been where corn/maize has been used. In Australia, it's all sugar cane and not affecting the food chain too much.