Bangkok Police officers suspended over alleged extortion of Italian tourists

webfact

Once again, it's only the glare of international publicity that has forced the action.

I don't know any other country which cares so much about its national image and so little about the quality of life of its citizens.

Yes, and that fact doesn't bode well for the eventual disposition of this case and any possible reform of the police. They were only responding to the Interpol, i.e., international, interest and not motivated by any true indignation or outrage over the tarnishing of police reputation. This in itself should ring alarm bells for foreigners in Thailand.

• Like 2

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only way to get anything to change in Thailand, is exposure to the world. And hit them in there pockets!

As i have said a few times , the Thai authorities seem to have some sort of "hold' over European embassies , very little is reported on the national or international news about the murders,rapes , corruption , extortion or scams of EU citizens in Thailand , it baffles me !

This has always baffled me, if there is a UK national murdered in the USA, it automatically makes front page in the British press, but if the murder/rape occurres in Thailand, there's a good chance it will not be reported.

Can anyone explain why?.

Although it seems many posters feel quite happy handing money over at the side of the road or elswhere and claiming this system is better than back home, As an expat here moving about and across bkk daily i found getting hit by bandits at the side of the road affected not only my moods but the way i reacted with people around me, often it just left me angry, i was relieved to find it affects others too, I refuse to hand money over but if i am guilty of a traffic violation will take the ticket and pay gladly with no affect to my moods or in regards to others,

Some years ago while at onnut market there was a farang standing in the queue...when he spoke thai i noticed he was german so i made a joke using his language, we got talking ..he was pleased to be able to talk his native language and said...hey...lets have a beer, as we sat at the table i noticed he put keys for a fino down,

Ah i said...you also ride motocyc here and he told yes ...moves around the area lots, i asked...do you have many problems with police? he said i just came from the police station 20 minutes ago,

Problem i asked?...had they taken your licence?

Just at that moment i made the mistake of taking a big gulp of cold beer as he answered.......i went there to complain about them stealing my money, my lungs exploded as i turned my head spraying beer onto the concrete floor,

As i tried to recover from the beer fizzing in my nostrils he told....everyday they take my money sometimes more than once, its actually close to the amount of rent i pay on the apartment added up over the month, i just cant afford to do this, since weeks i go around with 2 wallets and one only having 40 bht inside and an old atm card and the other hidden away, its got so bad that some days i did,nt go out and do the work i need to do and today they stopped me on sukhumvit again, so i showed them the wallet with 40 bht and the old card....when the cop demanded the pin number for card i had enough and went to the station to complain,

i realise i was a chicken going into the foxes den to complain but i felt the need to go in and tell its enough, what did they say to your complaint? they said must have been police from another area...nothing to do with us,

Edited by tingtongfarang

The only way to get anything to change in Thailand, is exposure to the world. And hit them in there pockets!

As i have said a few times , the Thai authorities seem to have some sort of "hold' over European embassies , very little is reported on the national or international news about the murders,rapes , corruption , extortion or scams of EU citizens in Thailand , it baffles me !

This has always baffled me, if there is a UK national murdered in the USA, it automatically makes front page in the British press, but if the murder/rape occurres in Thailand, there's a good chance it will not be reported.

Can anyone explain why?.

Interesting question but maybe some of the true reasons we would,nt want to hear, or maybe expats in thailand in general are not so important for the british press and regarded as scam targets by the thai officials,

best remember that being kidnaped, scammed or even murdered is,nt something reserved for expats or tourists, the thais do it with eachother also.

Can anyone explain why?.

Interesting question but maybe some of the true reasons we would,nt want to hear, or maybe expats in thailand in general are not so important for the british press and regarded as scam targets by the thai officials,

best remember that being kidnaped, scammed or even murdered is,nt something reserved for expats or tourists, the thais do it with eachother also.

Maybe when a foreign journalist tries to investigate some wrong doing in Thailand, they are fobbed off with lies, probably never suspecting that these nice smiling people are even capable of lying.

As for the foreign embassies, do they really care for their ordinary citizen's, it reminds me of how many muggings are committed in London, only a very small percentages of the perpetrator's are ever caught and punished, except when the victim is famous or important.

thanks to an Interpol inquiry conducted after the victims' families lodged a complaint.

The only reason this case is till in the news. But clap2.gif anyway.

The case therefore potentially brings shame upon the entire police force, due to its global exposure

/So it might not bring shame upon the entire police force if the rest of the world didn't know?//

As an aside, might be worth withdrawing dosh in mall banks by day to reduce risk.

Edited by jackr

Can anyone explain why?.

You know, I think that just about the only thing the Thais react to and do anything halfway meaningful about is an embassy warning for travelers. When one of those goes up, the Thais immediately begin whining about the effect on tourism, that country meddling in their internal affairs, blah blah blah. I get the impression ambassadors are called by the Thai FM on the carpet to answer for such postings.

Can anyone explain why?.

You know, I think that just about the only thing the Thais react to and do anything halfway meaningful about is an embassy warning for travelers. When one of those goes up, the Thais immediately begin whining about the effect on tourism, that country meddling in their internal affairs, blah blah blah. I get the impression ambassadors are called by the Thai FM on the carpet to answer for such postings.

I dont know why the thais react to embassy warnings or what they consider negative, i find it hard to imagine many tourists go on there and read it,

I have to admit before coming here i only made a quick click through and the only thing which caught my attention as i vaguely remember was something to the effect....many police and government officers are corrupt and can be dangerous ...contact with police or government officials should be avoided, most first time tourists would just surf to confirm it was a visa on arrival then wander off to check the exchange rate,

After only a few weeks of trying to live a normal working life in bkk i felt pretty pissed off that nobody warned me armed-masked bandits in uniform would jump out into the road with intentions of emptying my wallet then very helpfully stop the traffic to allow me escape their crime scene

• Like 1

Always nice to see how many times, those supposed to prevent and bust crimes, are actually themselves the perpetrators. Even worst is the fact that rotten policemen mostly get away just with transfer or dismissals. No trials are held. No prison sentence. It looks like in Thai society a policeman thief is more pardoned than a common thief which in my opinion should be quite the opposite anywhere in the world.

• Like 1

Not long ago i remember a thread where a lady was kidnapped/abducted and taken to a hotel room, but managed to send a text and her irate brother chased the bib down the soi, the bib escaped his crime scene with help from 2 others on a motocyc, was on youtube,

anyone have an idea what the outcome was?

I hope the Italian Government kick up stink about this. Also highlight to potential tourists that the Royal Thai Police contain many personnel whose modus operandi is to scam tourists as often as possible..

This has been done before when similar things occured in Siam. The result? Tourism numbers are going through the roof. Thailand has never seen anywhere near this number of tourists.

Practically speaking if their long history of corruption bothers you, don't go there. You could go to "safe Japan" instead & hope the radiation doesn't get you. It will be a hell of a lot more expensive, but that's the price you pay for first world quality relative to the third world.

Practically speaking if you go to Thailand, do what you can to avoid any interactions with LE, don't flash your bling or body, use ATMs inside a bank with security guards, etc.

If you do encounter a situation such as the Italians did, (1) speak Chinese & walk away, or (2) insist on calling your embassy, the police station, etc, before going anywhere, or (3) if they try to grab you kick them in the nuts & run, screaming bloody murder. You should be fine.

I hope the Italian Government kick up stink about this. Also highlight to potential tourists that the Royal Thai Police contain many personnel whose modus operandi is to scam tourists as often as possible..

This has been done before when similar things occured in Siam. The result? Tourism numbers are going through the roof. Thailand has never seen anywhere near this number of tourists.

Practically speaking if their long history of corruption bothers you, don't go there. You could go to "safe Japan" instead & hope the radiation doesn't get you. It will be a hell of a lot more expensive, but that's the price you pay for first world quality relative to the third world.

Practically speaking if you go to Thailand, do what you can to avoid any interactions with LE, don't flash your bling or body, use ATMs inside a bank with security guards, etc.

If you do encounter a situation such as the Italians did, (1) speak Chinese & walk away, or (2) insist on calling your embassy, the police station, etc, before going anywhere, or (3) if they try to grab you kick them in the nuts & run, screaming bloody murder. You should be fine.

Do you really believe that a farang trying to sound like a Chinaman is going to be convincing, unless he is appearing in a movie playing the part of the famous Chinese detective Charlie Chan, or that attempting to kick 5 armed men in the ows ya fathers is a good idea? Unless or course you are James Bond or Rambo.

I do agree that this will probably not affect tourism because the public have short memories and this event will be forgotten within the next few days.

Using an ATM machine in the street is a dangerous game wherever you are.

The Italian guys done exactly the right things, they played it cool and made their moves when the time was right. No one was hurt and they walked away to tell the tale, although they will probably suffer from the traumas of this for the rest of their lives and their holiday in Thailand has been ruined.

This is fair warning to all foreigners. Beware of this kind of activity by police and Thailand in general. You are at risk any time anywhere in Thailand.

How do you protect yourself from this type of crime? Avoid withdrawing money from ATMs or just don't come to Thailand.

Shiiiiit rolls downhill. Who is hiding in Dubai or Abudhabi or on his jet? Oh yeah ex-policeman PM Thaksin. Mr. Corruption.

Who's his sister?

Nothing new here....its in their blood.

They laugh while they rob us.

Interpol and YouTube will be the only way to catch these smelly fish.

Only a sting will catch them in the act.

I volunteer!

Edited by IAMSOBAD

This is fair warning to all foreigners. Beware of this kind of activity by police and Thailand in general. You are at risk any time anywhere in Thailand.

How do you protect yourself from this type of crime? Avoid withdrawing money from ATMs or just don't come to Thailand.

What do you think would have happened if one of the guys pretended to have a heart attack and fell to the ground? i think they would run for the hills...

don't you love thailand

suspended..... with pay probably

no jail time

buy your police badge and you can racket the rest of your life, if you get cought, you either get suspended or transferred

I hoppe I will not disappoint you dear Thais lover violin.gif.pagespeed.ce.8MK3fN8NTC.gif

The two other police officers allegedly involved in the extortion - Senior Sgt-Major Sathit Jansome and Sgt-Major Phoorithat Cheunjampa, both of Thong Lor station - have been placed in custody after their requests for temporary release on bail were rejected yesterday by Bangkok South Criminal Court. The Nation

I am bound to reckon if it may console some one swallow doesn't make a summer coffee1.gif

Do you really believe that a farang trying to sound like a Chinaman is going to be convincing, unless he is appearing in a movie playing the part of the famous Chinese detective Charlie Chan, or that attempting to kick 5 armed men in the ows ya fathers is a good idea? Unless or course you are James Bond or Rambo.

I do agree that this will probably not affect tourism because the public have short memories and this event will be forgotten within the next few days.

Using an ATM machine in the street is a dangerous game wherever you are.

The Italian guys done exactly the right things, they played it cool and made their moves when the time was right. No one was hurt and they walked away to tell the tale, although they will probably suffer from the traumas of this for the rest of their lives and their holiday in Thailand has been ruined.

Chinese was just an example & farang was not mentioned. Obviously if the guys look Chinese then speaking Chinese would be reasonable. Or if black American in appearance then speak an African language. Or if Hispanic looking then maybe speak Spanish. Or European then a European language, etc.

The Italians were very lucky, since kidnappers often kill their victims to remove eye witnesses. If they had handled the situation better at the ATM they could have greatly increased their odds of survival.

Have all of the cops been arrested or are two still on the run? I have seen conflicting reports. Where is the Uzbek thug?

Why no comments from high ranking officials taking some responsibility for these thugs???

Edited by IAMSOBAD

The Italians were very lucky, since kidnappers often kill their victims to remove eye witnesses. If they had handled the situation better at the ATM they could have greatly increased their odds of survival.

Let's not exaggerate, from extortion to murder "criminis causa" there is still a gap even for a corrupt cop.

Now you want to know some comments about on the italians newspapers ? "What they were there for in first place? Shame on them!"

From victim to guilty is a short walk in the eyes of morality defenders.

Let's not exaggerate, from extortion to murder "criminis causa" there is still a gap even for a corrupt cop.

Now you want to know some comments about on the italians newspapers ? "What they were there for in first place? Shame on them!"

From victim to guilty is a short walk in the eyes of morality defenders.

Does anyone have an English translation of this?

While mentioing extortion & murder, you left out kidnapping for ransom of millions of baht.

What are you going to do to protect yourself, have a hidden camera or CCTV attached to your body 24/7, & transmitting it to Facebook?

Edited by oldthaihand99