'Ventz'- Jacket Sleeve Vents for Increased Airflow

Once again Allan needs to flaunt his ignorance on a gear thread- as least he's consistent.wink.png

So Mr.Big Expert, it is your opinion versus science http://www.colormatters.com/color-and-heat-absorption and why these poxy vents will make any difference at all?

Your main argument against white of silver jackets is that they get dirty.....ever heard of a thing called a washing machine?blink.png

So, Mr. Know-Nothing, what high-end hot-weather gear have you worn that you can give an actual, real-world review on? Of course the answer is 'none'.

Yes, I've heard of a washing machine (not that every jacket can be put in one- leather can't, and some textile jackets have non-removable armor and need to be dry-cleaned)- have you ever heard of road grime and oil, which doesn't come out of light clored fabric? The white sections of my Dainese and Alpinestars mesh jackets already show some stains that can't be removed, and they're not more than a couple months old. Are you willing to pull on the same filthy gear day-after-day? It seems that- for a self proclaimed physics expert- you still haven't managed to grasp the fact that a jacket can combine different colors to take advantage of both lighter areas and darker areas to receive the benefit of both. Did you know the thickness of a material also affects emissivity? Of course you didn't. Did you know that decent mesh and a proper liner can actually pull heat away from the rider regardless of the color of their jacket? Nope, you didn't. Do you have any data that shows how your web link relates to a jacket with white sections in areas most likely to be in the sun? If course you don't. You have zero practical knowledge. You're right about one thing, though- in comparison to you, I am indeed an expert on hot-weather motorcycle gear.rolleyes.gif

Do you realize that air-flow has a cooling efect? Ever hear of the 'wind-chill factor'? Again, apparently not.

The argument isn't over what colors absorb more heat, but, rather, how those colors can be combined to give the best of all worlds- all black runs hotter- all white/light colors get dirtier- how can they be combined to run cooler and last longer? This is the third time I've tried to explain it to you- you really need to work on your reading comprehension.

Go ahead and wrap yourself up like a baked potato, though- that will work out great.smile.png

Edited by RubberSideDown

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am honest when I say I know nothing about all this gear you fast riders wear, yes you all ride fast why else would you be wearing full protective gear, common sense tells me if you are wearing leather or heavy textile jackets plus trousers plus big boots plus gloves you are going to be uncomfortable in this extremely hot and humid country, all these gimmicks that are supposed to aid air flow through the clothing are just that gimmicks!! There is absolutely no clear passage through the jacket due to the riding position which means any air going up the sleeves will be stopped at certain points, god you must get off your bike after a ride and franticly rip your clothing off just to get some air, it's great that you want to and feel the need to wear all this gear but others are happy at being comfortable, if you drive very fast you are at risk of a big accident hence the need to wear all this gear, keep your speed down and like me you can enjoy the scenery and be very comfortable!!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I am honest when I say I know nothing about all this gear you fast riders wear

That's all you really needed to post- you have no experience with proper gear, so you're going on supposition and assumption rather than experience.

The fact is that proper gear generally won't keep you as cool as no gear, but quality gear made specifically for hot weather will keep you cool enough, and it's more than worth the trade-off.

You keep going on about 'fast riding'- I am in complete control of my bike regardless of my speed- I wear gear because of two reasons- first, I'm not immune to rider error, and no rider can say he/she is, and second, I can't control the other people on the road, and their possible stupid moves can take me out no matter what my speed happens to be or how defensively I ride- it's not about confidence in myself or even about my own ability, but rather it's about the lack of confidence in others- I've seen cars and bikes take out other riders that were operating their vehicles in a safe manner- we all have- a smart rider prepares for that situation.

I am honest when I say I know nothing about all this gear you fast riders wear, yes you all ride fast why else would you be wearing full protective gear, common sense tells me if you are wearing leather or heavy textile jackets plus trousers plus big boots plus gloves you are going to be uncomfortable in this extremely hot and humid country, all these gimmicks that are supposed to aid air flow through the clothing are just that gimmicks!! There is absolutely no clear passage through the jacket due to the riding position which means any air going up the sleeves will be stopped at certain points, god you must get off your bike after a ride and franticly rip your clothing off just to get some air, it's great that you want to and feel the need to wear all this gear but others are happy at being comfortable, if you drive very fast you are at risk of a big accident hence the need to wear all this gear, keep your speed down and like me you can enjoy the scenery and be very comfortable!!

I am pretty comfy in my full gear bc if there is an accident, my chances to go home instead of a hospital is higher which gives me confidence and comfort.

Yes i sweat - which i got used of it after looong years of riding - but i know that i will not bleed!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I see no reason to wear leather in Thailand and fabric jackets can be washed. My mother taught me to keep my clothes clean and when I work with on dirty things I should change my clothes. Why would you wear a bikers jacket to fix your bike, maybe you are a 60's biker and just like being a greaser, well that was 50 years ago, it's time to grow up. As an apprentice engineer, I wore the same Levis for a whole week and you could almost wring the oil out before washing them,,but that was then.and these are the tropics.

You should have also learned from the mods back in those days, they managed to stay clean. I assume you ride a Jap bike which don't throw oil around like the old Brit bikes.

To think that science doesn't apply to the real world is a little naive to say the least. the effectiveness of air flow and it's cooling effect is proportional to the volume of air flowing. The amount of volume required to offset the effects of wearing black you would need to be travelling at 60mph, so what happens in town, or while waiting at the traffic lights....and all because you are too lazy to wash you bloody clothes? Shame on you boy. passifier.gif.pagespeed.ce.4LsapYv4zC.gi

There is another explanation, or perhaps two, that you really don't mind being hot a sweaty, or indeed unlike me you don't sweat, or maybe you just like wearing black leather, if so I could refer you to a couple of sites my friend knows...w00t.gif Mr. Rubber side down is the clue.whistling.gif

Yes, no one picks up dirt or oil on their jacket from cars tossing it up from the road- I keep thinking you can't get any dumber with your contributions, Allan, but you keep proving me wrong on that point (unlike any other points;)).

You realize leather has better abrasion resistance than textile, right? Of course you don't- your plan is to import cheap crap from China that is completely worthless- I'm sorry your finances don't allow you to choose something better. I wear leather gear occasionally- it does run hotter than textile, and I don't wear it on the hottest days, but I prefer it for safety (as does every knowledgable rider).

Again, tell me one piece of quality gear you have experience with, 'boy'- you can't, because you have none.

What are you basing your '60mph' claim on? I think you pulled that out of the same orifice from which you gather the rest of your claims...:). As someone with something you sorely lack (practical experience and quality gear) I can tell you that you start to feel the air flow as soon as you start to move, even at a very slow pace- 60mph is stupidly off the mark.

Here's a pic of my Dainese textile jacket (7K in Thailand- another 3K for a quality back protector)- all armor is CE-rated (I know you have no idea what that means...). You're looking through the front and back- do you really think you need to ride 60mph to feel the air flow through it 'to offset the color black'? The black material is quite thin, and (as I tried to explain but you no doubt missed) thickness of the surface is a factor of emissivity. Another ridiculous assumption on your part. All non-impact areas are mesh, and impact areas are made from material with better abrasion resistance (yes, I know you hate the color- cry me another river- of course you know that the red on the sleeves and the white section on the back which isn't in view reduce emissivity- no, you probably don't):

post-176811-0-57172200-1382332921_thumb.

'Keep the rubber side down' is a biker expression you might have heard if you were an actual rider rather than someone who tools around on a glorified scooter giving worthless advice. Please, don't think you can condescend to me- your cluelessness jumps off the screen with every post.

The bottom line is this, Allan- "If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong."

This forum has quite a few losers who are as educated about proper riding technique and gear as the locals they like to disparage- sadly, Allan, you're the leader of that pack.

Edited by RubberSideDown
  • Like 1

air comes out at the neck.

heres my jacket 'perforated leather'...oh, and its not too hot when your moving, in the city (riding slowly) enough air goes up the sleeve to cool your arms off if the cuffs are opened, and for AllenB the jacket is lined so you dont actually make direct contact with the leather.

large_img_php.jpg

sleeves open up and a tab comes out to direct air into the sleeves

photo0184.jpg

photo0185.jpg

its for sale btw, i lost 20lbs so need a smaller jacket.

Edited by KRS1
  • Like 1

I am honest when I say I know nothing about all this gear you fast riders wear

That's all you really needed to post- you have no experience with proper gear, so you're going on supposition and assumption rather than experience.

The fact is that proper gear generally won't keep you as cool as no gear, but quality gear made specifically for hot weather will keep you cool enough, and it's more than worth the trade-off.

You keep going on about 'fast riding'- I am in complete control of my bike regardless of my speed- I wear gear because of two reasons- first, I'm not immune to rider error, and no rider can say he/she is, and second, I can't control the other people on the road, and their possible stupid moves can take me out no matter what my speed happens to be or how defensively I ride- it's not about confidence in myself or even about my own ability, but rather it's about the lack of confidence in others- I've seen cars and bikes take out other riders that were operating their vehicles in a safe manner- we all have- a smart rider prepares for that situation.

I do apologize it's just my opinion, I am as you might have guest against excessive speed, in my opinion speed is the problem as it is with cars, lorries, coaches etc, I did go to see a nice jacket but they are just so uncomfortable, I think anyone who wears all the gear are doing the right thing for them, it's not wrong, how can it be wrong to want to protect yourself should there be an accident, I wore my very light rain suit today, I was glad to get it off as it felt like a mobile sauna, it's just me I want to be comfortable, I keep my speed low and all!ways have 100% concentration 100% of the time, so far over 40 yrs of riding and no problem, I will continue to look at Jackets and hopefully will find one that is ideal!! I did have a Kawasaki jacket last yr which was very good but sold it and haven't found anything as good at the price since, I have just seen a video where a rider hit something in the road, he came off with a bang so I do agree about wearing protective gear, I will still be considering finding something! safe riding!!

Edited by dogpoo
  • Like 1

I am going to see a dianese jacket tomorrow, they are very expensive though 9000฿

make sure the inside pocket is on the right side, its annoying when they put the pocket on the left, then you have to let off the throttle.

Rain-suits are all terrible to wear (regardless of their color) if you're referring to a cheap plastic suit- by their nature they allow zero airflow (even ones that are layered don't really vent at all)- you can't compare them to a proper mesh jacket.

Which Dainese jacket are you looking at? 9K should be one of their decent textile jackets- note you'll need a separate back protector if you want to increase its safety rating- they don't supply their jackets with one.

This jacket was the best deal I ever scored on a piece of gear- it's a Teknic Violator perforated leather jacket, and it came with a CE-certified back protector (and a zip-out thermal liner I'll never use)- they came out at $550, but not many people were willing to pay that much for a jacket that didn't say Dianese or Alpinestars on it, so they sat around and were eventually closed-out- I got it for $279 shipped to LOS, and customs didn't charge any taxes (YMMV).

It's extremely technical and has a hump in the back for aerodynamics and fits so tight it's like a second skin (and you'd never wear it off the bike), but if you can find one leftover it's a great deal for what's basically the top half of a race suit- it feels great on the bike- it flows a ton of air for a leather jacket (though not as much as mesh, of course):

TEKNICVIOLATORJKT.jpg

Edited by RubberSideDown
  • Like 1

Rain-suits are all terrible to wear (regardless of their color) if you're referring to a cheap plastic suit- by their nature they allow zero airflow (even ones that are layered don't really vent at all)- you can't compare them to a proper mesh jacket.

Which Dainese jacket are you looking at? 9K should be one of their decent textile jackets- note you'll need a separate back protector if you want to increase its safety rating- they don't supply their jackets with one.

I don't know what model it is, all they said was that it is the latest one, I will have a look tomorrow and post back!! Yes it is the textile type.

It's not a cheap suit, it's a Taichi from Japan, it's keeps you bone dry from the rain, it is very hot so you get wet from the sweat, serves it's purpose and keeps your undercrackers dry!!

I did wear all the gear in the UK but then the climate is a lot colder, I will look at the jacket first and see what it is like.

Any rain-suit doesn't allow water (and therefore air) to circulate- they're never cool or comfortable- I've got a nice Oxford oversuit and I hate wearing it.;)

As far as the Dainese jackets go, there are four or five that it could be- there are several good ones out at the moment.

Edited by RubberSideDown

It's not a cheap suit, it's a Taichi from Japan, it's keeps you bone dry from the rain, it is very hot so you get wet from the sweat, serves it's purpose and keeps your undercrackers dry!!

I did wear all the gear in the UK but then the climate is a lot colder, I will look at the jacket first and see what it is like.

You cant compare a rain suit no matter how expensive with one of those perforated jackets. I kept my mouth shut as I am a novice here. But I got one of those perforated jackets too bought one at panda riders. Its great, but yes if I am stuck in traffic its hot. I admit that but when your moving there is no problem at all.

You cant compare a rain suit no matter how expensive with one of those perforated jackets. I kept my mouth shut as I am a novice here. But I got one of those perforated jackets too bought one at panda riders. Its great, but yes if I am stuck in traffic its hot. I admit that but when your moving there is no problem at all. 

Cheers I will try on tomorrow!

The problem as I see it. For the air the Ventz let in doesn't there have to be a way for it to get out. So unless you jacket already has vents, with an S, in the back there is nowhere for the air to get out and if it does it probably already has... Next time I ride (sic) I'll try the middle of a toilet roll and see! Just maybe...

exactly, the jacket must have air exit.

I have this jacket: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/scorpion-recruit-leather-jacket

which is pretty awesome, it's leather BUT, it's very cool. there are two zip in the front and on the back.

I use it cause I ride a lot a late night, and it's cold... but on day time I also wear it and I just open full the zip vents...

So much air comes in the jacket that I don't even feel that hot.

but as well, like @mania said, I look really like an inflated balloon, LOL... all that air slows down the bike a lot.

so, if the jacket already have good vents, you will NOT need this at all.

Your jacket isn't perfed at all, and allows in air flow on the sleeves- if you could get a bit more air into it, it would feel cooler- unless it's ridiculously loose on you, how could the sleeves balloon up? If I wear one of my technical jackets, the sleeves have almost no room at all (and I wouldn't bother trying the Ventz with them as there's no room for the air to flow)- I would use them only with a less-restrictive jacket,

There's no way these small vents would do anything to affect the bikes' performance.

it's because I have an XL, and I lost a lot of weight recently. :) so, it's quite big on me now.

The outside It's not perforated, but the inside is, and the front vents are very big.

if I wear with the protections (Shoulder, elbow and Back) then it fits quite well. I usually remove them, but depends on the bike I pick on the day.

heres my jacket 'perforated leather'...oh, and its not too hot when your moving, in the city (riding slowly) enough air goes up the sleeve to cool your arms off if the cuffs are opened, and for AllenB the jacket is lined so you dont actually make direct contact with the leather.

large_img_php.jpg

photo0184.jpg

photo0185.jpg

How much you selling ? what is the size?

I need to get new one, cause mine is quite large on me now.

I love leather jackets :D

large_img_php.jpg

photo0184.jpg

photo0185.jpg

I love leather jackets biggrin.png

PM Sent

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I love leather jackets Posted Image

PM Sent

Must admit love that jacket.

There is another explanation, or perhaps two, that you really don't mind being hot a sweaty, or indeed unlike me you don't sweat, or maybe you just like wearing black leather, if so I could refer you to a couple of sites my friend knows...w00t.gif Mr. Rubber side down is the clue.whistling.gif

Don't you guys realize what wearing leather says about you? You 'love' leather jackets?!?!?! You're gonna end up on one of those sites Allan's 'friend' knows.cheesy.gif

Here's my other favorite- Dainese Rebel (localized perforation only- Dainese doesn't really go full perf on their jackets):

post-176811-0-61481500-1382405266_thumb.

If you're looking for a cheap armored, perfed leather jacket, MotocycleGear.com still has some AGV Sport Topanga jackets available at $150 shipped if you have a source in the States- I have one and it's well worth the price (it also comes in black and red):

agv-sport-topanga-jacket-blue.jpg

Edited by RubberSideDown

This is a fantastic textile jacket- Dainese G. Air 3 Tex that runs 7K in LOS:

$T2eC16J,!zcE9s4g0ur5BRf48bEbMw~~60_35.J

I just picked up this Alpinestars T-GP Air jacket- $220 + $10 shipped to LOS, and I didn't get hit with import charges (the Dainese is better quality, but I like the Alpinestars Bio-armor better):

ASTARSTGPPLUSAIRJACKET.jpg

post-166124-1382414692116_thumb.jpgpost-166124-13824147103332_thumb.jpg

Just got this, nearly 10k it's going to get dirty but I liked it!! I have removed the liner because I couldn't get my left hand out as my watch was getting caught, removing it has solved the problem!

Edited by dogpoo
  • Like 2

That's the T-GP R Air jacket- you paid a bit of a premium, but it's a very nice jacket.

It was from Honda big wing, say no more!! The liner was a pain, now taken out and it's good, it's nice and cool when driving, in traffic it gets a little bit hot but nothing to complain about!

That's a wind-proof, water-resistant (but not not water-proof, meaning in a heavy downpour you'll get wet) liner for a chilly day when you want to cut the ventilation from the mesh- you'll rarely need it in LOS.;)

It's water resistant which in the rain here means you will get wet whether it's there or not, I'll use the jacket for a while without the liner to see if it's okay, if not I will put it back in! If it does rain I will put my rain jacket over the top!

Edited by dogpoo