Seeking Snow

turgid

Im British . My thai friend would like see snow this winter. Any suggestions for countries that will provide snow, welcome our cash and provide an easy and predictable visa approval service instead of assuming i'm a pimp and shes a member of Al Qaeda.

• Like 1

China is probably the closest. South Korea might be less hassle with visas. Nepal appeals to me, but no idea of the visa situation there. However looking into the total cost of flights and everything I'd probably just make it an excuse to take a trip to Europe. Shengen visa isn't that bad.

I'd second South Korea. Took a group of Thai MBA students there a few years ago. I absolutely hated the experience. Bitterly cold. Horrible food. Over-heated hotel rooms. The students, however, loved it. They really enjoyed a few hours at a theme park in the snow, snowball fights outside a countryside restaurant where we stopped, and trudging through an island theme park in the snow (Winter Sonata, a Korean soap popular in Thailand at the time, had been filmed there). And to address the diabolical food, they came pre-armed with vast quantities of chilli sauce, fresh chillies and fish sauce. If only I'd packed a jar of Branston Pickle I might have had a more pleasurable experience. We also took the students to a ski resort. It was amazing just how quickly some of them took to it. Several of them were soon happily skiing down the slopes from the top whilst I still struggled just to stand up for more than a moments.

Immigration at South Korea was a bit tough for the students. Half a dozen of them were hauled aside for intense interrogation, which upset some of them. If memory serves me right, the ones selected for interrogation were all women (probably considered potential prostitutes). However, in the end all were let into the country. I doubt that a couple travelling together would have the same problem.

I hear Japan now has easy visa's for Thai citizens. What a beautiful country also!

Nepal, India, China, S. Korea, New Zealand....other options. Though I've heard China is getting harder to deal with re:visas????

Japan has Snow Monkeys.

Yes, given the recent changes giving Thais 15 days in Japan without a visa, the massive number of cheap fares, the number of tour operators/consolidators and the decent number of winter resorts, Japan seems like the ideal destination.

• Like 1

Get a passport for your "friend", go on a few international trips in the region to establish a relationship and proven travel history and then take them to any country you choose with a proper tourist visa, not a problem as you have established a valid history of travel.

• Like 1

Hkakabo Razi, northern Myanmar.

Really? Wow..that's close! Having lived in places where it snows all winter for the better part of my life, I'm happy to be here in the warmth! 555555

The OP is looking for snow. And you are not. Mmmmm.

Anyway... I hear you can ski in northern Myanmar.

But I understand getting there is not like hopping a flight to Sapporo.

Forget China. If a few years back would have suggested Tibet via Chengdu, but last I checked still on semi-lock-down. Meaning Tibet entry permit only available when part of authorized group tour. And that'd suck. Too bad, mind-blowing, the Plateau. Far west Xinjiang at elevation is remarkable, but tough to get to. Otherwise, more easily reached Chinese snow resorts will be jammed up with mainlanders. Maybe talk her out it. If you don't ski or snowboard, throw a couple of snowballs and roll around in it once or twice, your done. And stuck.

Or go to Turkey, no visa needed at all.

Anywhere that is close and cheap. The novelty of experiencing 'snow' will wear of in an hour (after her tits freeze up) and she will want to stay in the hotel room until the return flight.

Remember (a) they don't like the cold and (cool.png and they have the attention span of a mosquito biggrin.png

Been there and done that.

Edited by johnlandy
  • Like 1

Or go to Turkey, no visa needed at all.

Anywhere that is close and cheap. The novelty of experiencing 'snow' will wear of in an hour (after her tits freeze up) and she will want to stay in the hotel room until the return flight.

Remember (a) they don't like the cold and (cool.png and they have the attention span of a mosquito biggrin.png

Been there and done that.

We lived in New York for a few years. My wife loved the snow. Love to put on boots, hat, scarf, gloves and go walking around in it. I'm sure the novelty would have worn off eventually.

Go to Finland. You can meet the Santa Claus on his natural environment. See the raindeers, if lucky auroras, but for sure plenty, plenty of snow. I'm not sure how difficult is it to get the visas. Finland have embassy in Bangkok.

http://www.santaclausvillage.info/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Claus_Village

joulupukki-korvatunturi.jpg

WInter-In-Finland-Wide-576x1024.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurora_(astronomy)

northern-lights.jpg

While in there, get into a really hot sauna and then take a swim on a frozen lake or sea. But seriously, do not dip your head inside the 0 degrees water. I speak from the experience.

avantouinti10002_0210kv.jpg

Typical day at the beach in Finland (The video is actually from Latvia, there much colder in Finland).

Edited by Guest

South Korea - no visa needed.

You must be doing something wrong if people think you're a pimp. I've traveled all over with my Thai gf, and never had any problems, even in supposedly difficult countries like USA - apply for visa, visa issued, travel, no problem at immigration - easy. What problems have you been having? Let us know and perhaps someone can help with your issues.

China is probably the closest. South Korea might be less hassle with visas. Nepal appeals to me, but no idea of the visa situation there. However looking into the total cost of flights and everything I'd probably just make it an excuse to take a trip to Europe. Shengen visa isn't that bad.

Not sure but is a Shengen visa good for all the European common market countries. Seems to me that would be harder to get than Nepal or India.

Mind you I would love to see Switzerland with snow and with out snow.

South Korea - no visa needed.

You must be doing something wrong if people think you're a pimp. I've traveled all over with my Thai gf, and never had any problems, even in supposedly difficult countries like USA - apply for visa, visa issued, travel, no problem at immigration - easy. What problems have you been having? Let us know and perhaps someone can help with your issues.

The only reason you can say supposedly difficult countries like USA is because your wife has property or investments that pretty much need her attention so she can not defect to them The States are not that easy and Canada is worse. I have heard England is easier but still a hassle. It is easy when you have lots of money and the wife has large Thai assets.

I had heard a rumor that if a Thai lady had 200,000 baht in the bank that she could not get out with out going into the bank the States might accept that. Just a rumor. I suspect if it is true she would need it in there for a period of time. I had heard six months mentioned.

A friend of mine took his wife to Canada she has property in a village she works for her husbands company yet she still had to get a letter from a Thai company swearing to how valuable she was to them. It of course was from a friend of her husband who deals with Thai companies and had one write it up for him. Then she had to go to Bangkok for an interview.

• Like 1

Try Romania. I was a consultant to the Ministry of Development from 2002 to 2004. We built several Olympic ski facilities and resorts. Romania is a great place with friendly people. Piona Brasov, which was the first ski resort we upgraded under EU funding, is recognised as the best Ski resort by Trip Advisor. Piona Brasov has a nice hotel with sauna and there are ski lifts nearby. There is also a wooden church within walking distance which is quite interesting.

We created a new ski resort in Borsa in what had been a mining community. It is in Muramures County which has the "laughing cemetery", where all the head stones have pictures and jokes about the life if the person buried there (a must see):

Borsa resort is situated in Rodnei Mountains in Maramures County, an area of a unique beauty that has preserved its traditions and folklore. Skiing is rather an old habit, as it has been introduced here in late 19th century. The ski runs start at 1200-1500 m elevation, with a naturally occurring ski jumping hill (50 m high), unique in Europe.

Another resort I worked on also in Maramures, was Izvore. The Izvoare resort is situated at the bottom of Gutii Mountains (maramures county) in a lovely valley surrounded by the several tree covered peaks, 32 km away from Baia Mare. This has an Olympic size ski jump and snow making machines.

You can find more info on the internet and also at the Romanian Embassy here in Bangkok. The ambassador is quite friendly with Thai people. My wife who is also Thai had no problems obtaining a visa to join me in Romania.

Edited by Estrada

Japan does not require a visa for Thai citizens. For reliable snow I suggest Nieseko on Hokkaido. The most english speaking area is Hirafu. Cost is a factor. I ski there annually and we booka small studio condo which is still costly. The snow is best in February.

• Like 1

S. Korea. Seoul gets bitterly cold in the winter.

Plus if she has been bitten by the "korean disease" she would love it. Its also cheap, last time there I stayed at a guest house within walking distance to Myueng Deong and seoul mountain and paid B1200 a night (tv, wifi, private washroom with hot water).

No visas required for you and her.

Just back from two weeks in New Zealand and Thai missus loved it. So did I actually. No visa problems at all and the people were great. Spent our last two nights in Dunedin and two Thai ladies worked in the laundry. She picked up some som tam and they did our laundry for free.