Bangkok: Redbull heir indictment postponed for 5th time

webfact

If he makes it to September 3, he's out free.

No just the speeding part

I hope someone can clear this up but the other day when there was a thread on this subject it was suggested the deceased's family had accepted B3 million compensation and were no longer interested in proceedings.

I don't know about Thailand whren they make it up as they go along but a prosecution for the death etc. could still go ahead in the public interest

If the family of the deceased accepted 3 million baht then that should be the end of any charges of vehicular manslaughter. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, if the family concerned are satisfied that justice has been done, then it has, end of story.

So, when he gets off with it (because I can see the logic of what you're saying), and then the next time he runs over and kills your wife / son / daughter / you*, you won't bat an eye lid that he was free and allowed to do so...because the copper's family thought it OK that he be allowed back on the streets to kill more people?

*delete as appropriate, depending on your circumstances

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's face facts here, people.

Asia, and particularly Thailand, has always been like this, long before any of us got here, and it will be when we're long gone. For all the comments of disgust and (dis)belief, about ruining Thailand's reputation, and all the other hokum spouted, we're all still there, preferring it to our own homelands, or we visit regularly and in many cases consider it our second home.

It's a sh*thole, and yet not one of us votes with our feet. That says far more about our lack of standards and backbone than it does about Thailand.

Everything you've written is true...except the last sentence. I have stated previously that if this guy doesn't do any time in prison, that's it for me as far as Thailand is concerned. And I will stick to it. But any time I say that, all I get is the "lazy" comment of "you won't be missed" or similar - if I make that (difficult) choice, I couldn't give a tosh whether I'll be missed or not...because, as you say, the people that "wouldn't miss me" will be those who don't have a decent set of moral "standard and backbone" anyway.

• Like 1

You have to remember Thailand GDP per capita is only about 5000 US dollars (2011 figures), same as in Jamaica or Ecuador. Myanmar, Vietnam are at 1500, Brazil is at 12500, South Korea 22500, Hong Kong 35000, Singapore 46000 and Australia 60000. Thailand is pretty much what you can expect for such a low figure GDP, developing country...

About at 10000 dollar level some real changes start usually happening in a society, like in Brazil today.

Edited by Timwin
  • Like 1

I hope someone can clear this up but the other day when there was a thread on this subject it was suggested the deceased's family had accepted B3 million compensation and were no longer interested in proceedings.

I don't know about Thailand when they make it up as they go along but a prosecution for the death etc. could still go ahead in the public interest

Quite common in Thailand that you can get off a murder charge if you come to a financial agreement with the deceased family.

UPDATE:
Prosecutors defer case against Red Bull heir

The Nation

30213501-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Public prosecutors have postponed announcing their decision in the case against Red Bull heir Vorayuth Yoovidhya for the fifth time.

Vorayuth, now 28, was allegedly involved in a hit-and-run accident that killed Pol Snr Sgt-Major Wichian Klanprasert in Bangkok last September.

Reuchai Krairerk, a senior expert public prosecutor for criminal litigation, yesterday announced the fifth postponement. He explained that the suspect had told Attorney-General Chulasingh Vasantasingh of his intention to fight the accusation that he was speeding at the time of the accident. He added that further investigation related to the speeding charge had not yet been completed.

"Police investigators have to question four more witnesses, including two speeding experts. The investigation report on this part has not been concluded," Reuchai said.

Police have pressed two charges against Vorayuth - reckless driving that caused a death, and failure to stop his vehicle and come out to help the victim.

Recordings from closed-circuit television showed Vorayuth was driving at 170 kilometres per hour at the time of the accident.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-08-27

Maybe they need more time to build a plush resort for him to serve his sentence. They will want to show that the elite is not above the law but he will serve his time is a new prison farm with a golf coarse and swimming pool and a private chef and valet parking

In order to a real change to happen Thailand needs a much larger working middle class, which is at the moment quite small. Today they are also concentrated mostly on making more money to themselves, securing their position and aping the Hi-So class.

Brazil today is at more advanced state of society development where the middle class is large enough to have some real political power and they have started questioning how Brazil is run by the elite. Their Hi-So class and society in general are just as corrupted and crooked as in Thailand. The Brazilian middle class want a real change, they have really woken up.

Thai poor working class is not there yet mentally. Sure, they are opinion pieces in newspapers (in English mostly) but that is about it. The factory workers on the floor level just do not give a dam_n because they are busy working and raising their living standards. Maybe within 5-7 years they start questioning...

Edited by Timwin

UPDATE:

Prosecutors defer case against Red Bull heir

The Nation

30213501-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Public prosecutors have postponed announcing their decision in the case against Red Bull heir Vorayuth Yoovidhya for the fifth time.

Vorayuth, now 28, was allegedly involved in a hit-and-run accident that killed Pol Snr Sgt-Major Wichian Klanprasert in Bangkok last September.

Reuchai Krairerk, a senior expert public prosecutor for criminal litigation, yesterday announced the fifth postponement. He explained that the suspect had told Attorney-General Chulasingh Vasantasingh of his intention to fight the accusation that he was speeding at the time of the accident. He added that further investigation related to the speeding charge had not yet been completed.

"Police investigators have to question four more witnesses, including two speeding experts. The investigation report on this part has not been concluded," Reuchai said.

Police have pressed two charges against Vorayuth - reckless driving that caused a death, and failure to stop his vehicle and come out to help the victim.

Recordings from closed-circuit television showed Vorayuth was driving at 170 kilometres per hour at the time of the accident.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-08-27

Surely given that the defendant has had a year to prepare his defence and has failed to do so a special application should be made to extend the statute of limitations in the interest of justice.

Just because Little Bull is an ass doesn't mean the law has to be as well.

• Like 2

I see that many of the TV user are comparing Thailand to a First world country, instead Thailand should be compared to its neighbors. I have been living here in Bangkok 5 years now , My 1st and 2nd year was crazy for me as i moved here from Miami and could not understand the system , the mentality etc. But from my 3rd year to now i learn to accept that this is not my country and i am here based on year to year visa with no hope of being a citizen. Now all i do is drive carefully, respect the laws which are more sensitive to us then the local people and have a happy family life and not put my nose into Thailand internal problems as even if i wanted to change something i can not because i can not vote or i can not get elected. There for I mind my own business and let them sort out theirs.

Same here, it is just a waste of time and energy to try to tell them "back home we do this and that...blah blah". I learned to let it go, you cannot fight Thai society internal battles for them. Anyway, I'd bet things are going to start changing during the next 10 years.

I don't know about Thailand when they make it up as they go along but a prosecution for the death etc. could still go ahead in the public interest

What baffles me is how the Statute of Limitations can apply to cases of murder....?!!

As foreigners here may I suggest that we inform people we know and stop buying the product or related products from the business, worldwide.

We can speak our feelings at least that way, and maybe make a statement, a profit and loss statement.

• Like 2

Not really I thought that he can still get done for the manslaughter, I hope. But money and influence can get you anything in Thailand. Also the Cops family are happy with the payout I believe they got.

I can think of no civilized country with the rule of law that requires that the one being charged not have a tummy ache.... oh, yeah.... "civilized country with the rule of law".... never mind, my mistake. Maybe they need him to come in and write the indictment? They are all too afraid to?