Where Can I Find Wahoo?

racyrick

I'll bite, though i am not exactly a fish expert. Only fish recipe i can stomach is fish&chips, and in Thailand ordering this often leads to a disappointment, even if the place is run by some British type of person.

As far as your question is concerned, I reckon your best bet would be walking down Beach Road in Patong. At the many seafood restaurants, fish they (hopefully) purchased that day will be displayed outside, and you know what a Wahoo looks like.

Bon appetit.

Funny Thing Today we Phuket Game Fishing Club took an American visitor out Fishing and he really wanted to catch a Wahoo . We got him one and we got 16+ 1 1/2" Steaks out of it Great eating.attachicon.gifDSC00476.JPG

Why didn't you put it back into the water for others to enjoy as well ?sad.png

first it is a very tasty fish, secondly, not very easy to handle as he got razor sharp teeth, so put him back is always a gamble with your fingers if not handle correctly.

regarding the tip walking down the beach road and search for it, dont think so, you will find mostly king mackerel, wahoo is not very common in sea food restaurants here.

• Like 1

Funny Thing Today we Phuket Game Fishing Club took an American visitor out Fishing and he really wanted to catch a Wahoo . We got him one and we got 16+ 1 1/2" Steaks out of it Great eating.attachicon.gifDSC00476.JPG

first it is a very tasty fish, secondly, not very easy to handle as he got razor sharp teeth, so put him back is always a gamble with your fingers if not handle correctly.

regarding the tip walking down the beach road and search for it, dont think so, you will find mostly king mackerel, wahoo is not very common in sea food restaurants here.

Congrats on catching the wahoo, but why didn't you save me a nice juicy steak sad.png

I have never seen wahoo on the streets in Patong-not an option.

I want wahoo!!

Last time I had some wahoo , took it home had some chips and bisto with it . Tasted great but the guy who gave it me turned in his grave and called it sacrilidge ;)

Oh well . Fish and chips worked for me

• Like 1

They have for sale in Baan Saan, maybe buy a piece & take it upstairs to one of the shops to cook for you?

Thanks for the tip, but where is Baan Saan? I live in Chengtalay and not familiar with Baan Saan.

I believe he is referring to Banzaan which is a wet market in Patong opposite (approx) the back of Jungcelon.

thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

They have for sale in Baan Saan, maybe buy a piece & take it upstairs to one of the shops to cook for you?

Thanks for the tip, but where is Baan Saan? I live in Chengtalay and not familiar with Baan Saan.

I believe he is referring to Banzaan which is a wet market in Patong opposite (approx) the back of Jungcelon.

thumbsup.gif

Thanks, Thought that might be the case.

Ok, so we go out purposely trying to catch a Wahoo, for a paying client, and when we catch one, only then we realise he is a really nasty fish with BIG NASTY teeth so we KILL him just in case he hurts us.

Oh and just for the record he tastes nice too.

Phuket Game Fishing Club indeed.

Edited by patongphil

Ok, so we go out purposely trying to catch a Wahoo, for a paying client, and when we catch one, only then we realise he is a really nasty fish with BIG NASTY teeth so we KILL him just in case he hurts us.

LOL! Have you ever been fishing in the ocean? Personally I go fishing (actually prefer catching over fishing) for fish that I like to eat, not to throw back, unless they are under sized... And yes, some fish are hard to get a hook out of and it can be dangerous to do so. I suppose you can cut the line and leave the hook in and hope the fish survives. By the way McFarang, nice fish! Nothing like fresh caught the day you eat it!

• Like 2

First of all he was not a paying client as we are a club although he did help cover fuel costs.We always knew if we were going to catch one we would keep it as they are not a Billfish or a protected species. Lastly 16 people had a very nice meal out of it and 5 guys had a great day out with perfect weather and a few beers after, whats so wrong with that?
  • Like 2

Last time I had some wahoo , took it home had some chips and bisto with it . Tasted great but the guy who gave it me turned in his grave and called it sacrilidge wink.png

I use Wahoo for fish and chips all the time - even without the chips.

egg - alittle beer

panko and oil

also grill or in butter

yummy

• Like 1

Last time I had some wahoo , took it home had some chips and bisto with it . Tasted great but the guy who gave it me turned in his grave and called it sacrilidge wink.png

egg - alittle beer

panko and oil

also grill or in butter

yummy

Great fish to eat if you can get one Tree Huggers eat seaweed!

This is called wound and release. Are we "trolling" instead of trawling for fish??

This is called wound and release. Are we "trolling" instead of trawling for fish??

I wonder what the fish would prefer - to be "wounded and released", as you put it, or bashed on the head and cut up into 16 steaks?

There's no problem catching and killing a single fish from the sea if you're going to eat it.

All those who think that is wrong, I suggest you go and picket the fishing port. Don't forget some placards with suitable "fish-murderer" slogans, to wave.

I have always fished catch and release if I am not going to eat it. If the hook is too well in the fish it is just cut off as it will either dissolve(rust) or be regurgitated. I have also only ever taken legal sized, non protected fish unlike all thai fishermen that remove everything no matter if it is protected or what ever size . Catching and eating fresh fish is the only way to go although I kept my first marlin(striped) and it took 12 months to eat it all but because I had been shown how to freeze it properly it tasted just as good from the first to the last steak. No one has the right to tell others what they can eat so anyone that cannot accept people eating any type of food that was live at some stage need to get a life or just cut their own throats if they cannot handle it, they are pathetic whingers. Have to agree 100% with karenbravo, if you are going to eat it, keep it otherwise release it.

• Like 1

egg - alittle beer

panko and oil

also grill or in butter

yummy

fillet, skin and debone the meat, remove all the blood lines so it is pure clean meat, cut into small pieces, dip in flour, batter then deep fry till golden, mate it is mouth watering, mackeral can be done the same way as can Mahi mahi and most pelagic species. If you want you can cut the backbone into sections and BBQ after removing fins top and bottom, perfect fish ribs.licklips.gif.pagespeed.ce.v-hsVd-Wpu.gif

PS. mix a bit of wasabi with mayonaise to dip it in, yum.

You want to see some wasted fish ..

Go to the Gypsie market in Rawai anyday of the week and you will see lots of fish going to waste...

They don't throw anything back and there is no way they sell all the fish on display each day..Terrible

Are you sure they throw away unsold fish?

I would have thought they would go into the cooking pot to feed the village.