Thai Visa Social Golf

Khutan

Are you interested in Thai Visa Golf  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A few of us are planning a Social and possibly also Semi Serious Thai Visa Golf group.

An Idea is we have seperate chapters across Thailand, and all Thai Visa Members would be welcome to join in. Particularly also members who don't live in Thailand.

Please express your interest.

I would be happy if there was a TVGS in CMX I would support that.. but anywhere else No!

What the plan is (generally) is to have different chapters around Thailand, as the logistics is just too great to have everyone play in one place.

I think the advantage is then the greater appeal to all members, is we get enough to have regular weekly / monthly events for each area or if its going to be totally social.

I am happy to do the work of handicapping etc so everyine can just enjoy.

I would also like eventually after a while to see a 4 or 5 way challenge say with members from Patty, Phuket, Changmai and "Others" having a set of challenges across the country, with appropriate sponsorship. Obviously the winners would have the bragging rights.

When we have enough interested members, we will eventually need to make some decisions such as who we are affiliated with (R&A or PGA) and how we will settle Course ratings etc etc. But that is for the future.

I love sport, and particularly a sport like golf where we are all playing to the best of our ability. With proper handicapping someone who plays to their best will win the day, rather than just the best player. I have also found golf is the only game where I truly appreciate the effort of my competitors. So if I am playing against someone who just misses a hole in one on a Par 3, or gets an Eagle etc, I enjoy that, as I know the level of skill to do that.

As a final note, the more interested people we have, the greater chance of getting good sponsorship. So God forbid of we got 1,000 members, then we could certainly look for something excellent in sponsorship. With 6 - 10 interested players, maybe we can get a free T-Shirt.

Back to you guys.

I think you probably have a good idea about forming chapters around LOS for members. I live in Pattaya, when not working in Saudi, and am rather active in the golf groups there. I don't get up to BKK often so there would be little interest in a match there unless it was some sort of challenge between BKK and Pattaya or other chapters.

Most golf groups in Pattaya are affilliated with either the R&A or the USGA (not the PGA) and most of us already have established handicaps. Being a member of the Pattaya Sports Club would be something I heartily recommend for anybody golfing in Pattaya.

As the old saying goes....build it and they will come.

Wifes mate runs/owns the driving range at Bagna just behind BITEC and adjacent to the RTN Golf course.(entrance off Suk Rd after the earthquake ministry building-wots-it)

Last time I spoke to her she said that she would be glad if more farangs wanted to try it.(mostly Thai)

Bar and food available till after midnight (place is floodlight)if interested I can call her....

Believe also has an arrangement to use the R.T.Navy course but need to check.... :o

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
A few of us are planning a Social and possibly also Semi Serious Thai Visa Golf group.

An Idea is we have seperate chapters across Thailand, and all Thai Visa Members would be welcome to join in. Particularly also members who don't live in Thailand.

Please express your interest.

Not very good organizational skills but would love to play for Northern Thailand.... :o

We need to find out who is where

I'm in the Na-Jomtien area... just south of Pattaya.

However, I'd be prepared to travel a coupla hours if we can get a good number of players organized.

I move out to Bangkok in the summer and would love to join this. Does anyone know if I will need a handicap certificate from my club here in the UK (not that the figure is pretty, 28 on a good day!!!) or can you just play anywhere?

I move out to Bangkok in the summer and would love to join this. Does anyone know if I will need a handicap certificate from my club here in the UK (not that the figure is pretty, 28 on a good day!!!) or can you just play anywhere?
During the last years I played over 25 different courses in Bangkok and Korat .

Never have been asked for :o

If Khutan gets this organised, he has already volunteered to do the handicapping... I know he's got a software program to record and handicap players.

Correct me if I'm wrong Khutan, but I assume that as per usual club golfing, your first 3-5 rounds would be stroke play, to establish a ThaiVisa Golf Club handicap.

• 1 month later...

Great idea......

Unfortunately we live in Manchester ! So i wouldn't be a regular competitor......

But we get over to LOS at least 3 times a year and i usually play on my own first thing in the morning whilst the wife is still sleeping. It would be great to meet up with some folks for a game when we're there.

Next visit is September for three weeks.

[email protected]

I have been keeping an eye on this one since it was a bare piece of land and from what i gather its now open and looking ...GOOD. and within staggering distance......

Believe that the bar is now open and they have got the go ahead for a new hotel,spar,keep fit joint.etc....looks like the place for a wet one..... :D

Newest golf course in Northern Thailand

- Chiang Mai Highlands is built on a ‘power spot’ – the hermitage of Kuba Sivichai (the revered monk who founded the famous temple on Doi Suthep).

This very special site is breathtaking in every direction and literally tingles with an energetic aliveness. Its profound tranquility, high elevation, cool climate, fresh air, pure water, and fertile soil, form the perfect place to sculpt a living golf treasure.

From the inviting downhill 1st hole, the golf course effortlessly flows along, gaining strength, beauty, and character with each passing hole until its thrilling, dramatic finish on the unforgettable 18th.

If you only have one day to golf in the north, play Chiang Mai Highlands.

This world-class resort is not to be missed!

(C.M.Appreciation society :o )

http://www.chiangmaihighlands.com/page/home.htm

Count me in - though just a beginner, the golf bug has bitten, but unfortunately not in LoS until November - hope to be around for a while then though.

Please keep me informed if this develops.

Ta,

ace

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...