Have a fews question about ED visa (it's going to be my first time in Thailand)

Hello,

I'm planning to go visit Thailand in November for the first time and thinking about staying there for almost 6 months. So I finally decided to apply for ED Visa. I contacted TSL language school but still didn't understand some visa rules.

1. Do I have to go to the immigration office every 90 days? I asked about it and the school said they would do all for me. But I didn't understand why did I need to go to the immigration office if I have 1 year ED visa? And do I have to do visa run?

2. Can I chooce my Ed visa to be single or multiple? And If I can where and when do I have to do those process? And how much does it cost for multiple ED visa?

3. Relate to the 3rd question what if I have multiple ED visa and I want to leave Thailand for a couple days to celebrate New Year somewhere else. What do I have to do with my visa? Just get out and come back again?

4. What is re-entry permit? If I have multiple ED visa do I still need the re-entry permit? And where can I do that? (I asked this question to 3 language school in bangkok but they all gave me different answers. )

Thank you

Have a good day

If you get a multiple entry ED visa before traveling from an embassy or consulate you do not need to do extensions or re-entry permits but you would have to leave the country every 90 days to get a new 90 day entry.

If you get a single entry visa you would enter the country and do extensions at immigration every 90 days. There is no need to leave the country. If you want to travel you would get a single re-entry permit that would keep your extension valid for it's remaining validity when you return.

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 1

No I have a 1 year ED visa with multi entry. Just need to report to immigration every 90 days, no need to leave the country.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You do not have a visa which only allows you to enter the country getting a permit to stay. You have an extension of a permit to stay based upon attending school with a multiple re-entry permit you applied for at immigration.

Just another example of people confusing visas and extensions of stay that are two very different things.

Whatever, but I don't need to go out the country every 90 days as someone said above

If you had a multiple entry visa issued by a Thai embassy you would have to leave every 90 days because it only gives you a 90 day entry.

You don't have do it because you are getting extensions of stay.

As said if your multiple ED visa is issued outside Thailand at the Thai Embassy or Consul then you HAVE to leave the country every 90 days.

If you received an visa EXTENSION based on education then you DON'T have to leave the country until the expire date of the extension but you have to do the 90 day reporting.

Whatever, but I don't need to go out the country every 90 days as someone said above

If you had a multiple entry visa issued by a Thai embassy you would have to leave every 90 days because it only gives you a 90 day entry.

If sciack's anxiety to be right proves to be wrong there is a big overstay bill awaiting !smile.png

If sciack's anxiety to be right proves to be wrong there is a big overstay bill awaiting !smile.png

Looks like 20.000 Baht down the drain.

If sciack's anxiety to be right proves to be wrong there is a big overstay bill awaiting !Posted Image

It is not a right/wrong thing here, I simply know I don't have to leave because I used a very expensive Visa company here in Thailand to obtain the right kind of visa/extension 'mixture' to let me stay here easily 15 months without leaving the country.

As said if your multiple ED visa is issued outside Thailand at the Thai Embassy or Consul then you HAVE to leave the country every 90 days.

If you received an visa EXTENSION based on education then you DON'T have to leave the country until the expire date of the extension but you have to do the 90 day reporting.

I have never said I had a visa obtained from a Thai Embassy or Consulate, this is why I don't need to leave the country.

If sciack's anxiety to be right proves to be wrong there is a big overstay bill awaiting !xsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.4tUibSscbZ.webp

It is not a right/wrong thing here, I simply know I don't have to leave because I used a very expensive Visa company here in Thailand to obtain the right kind of visa/extension 'mixture' to let me stay here easily 15 months without leaving the country.

Don't hold us all in suspense.

Share the detail of your "secret" !smile.png

I don't think it is true. I have a multi entry ED visa and I don't need to leave the country every 90 days

You do not have a Visa. You have an extension of your temporary permission to stay in the Kingdom.

Yes, I have a visa and an extension of stay and multi entry permit. I live in Thailand since 2008 darling, I know what I have.

I don't think it is true. I have a multi entry ED visa and I don't need to leave the country every 90 days

You do not have a Visa. You have an extension of your temporary permission to stay in the Kingdom.

Yes, I have a visa and an extension of stay and multi entry permit. I live in Thailand since 2008 darling, I know what I have.

Most people can secure what you have without resorting to using "expensive" lawyers !

You do not have a visa, your visa has expired a long time ago. The visa allowed you to travel to Thailand, on arrival you got a permission to stay and this permission to stay is what is extended. You now have an extension of stay with a multiple re-entry permit.

There is a difference and different rules apply.

If sciack's anxiety to be right proves to be wrong there is a big overstay bill awaiting !Posted Image

Well so you don't have a visa you are on a extension of stay with a re-entry permit which is exactly what we were trying to tell you.

All that you got extra for the money spent was immigration doing a change of your entry to a 90 day non immigrant visa entry which only costs 2000 baht.

Then you got an extension of stay for that entry at immigration that costs 1900 baht.

You do not have a visa, your visa has expired a long time ago. The visa allowed you to travel to Thailand, on arrival you got a permission to stay and this permission to stay is what is extended. You now have an extension of stay with a multiple re-entry permit.

What? My ED visa? It is not expired at all.... Anyway, thanks for all the love, but I have better things to do than writing about my visa ;)

Well so you don't have a visa you are on a extension of stay with a re-entry permit which is exactly what we were trying to tell you.

All that you got extra for the money spent was immigration doing a change of your entry to a 90 day non immigrant visa entry which only costs 2000 baht.

Then you got an extension of stay for that entry at immigration that costs 1900 baht.

I have a visa ED, stop it.

You know what is the difference between working with a visa company or not, that for example on a VOA you can get a 7 days extension at immigration, but with a decent company they can get you a 30 day extension on it... This is the difference between paying or not.

"I have a visa ED, stop it.

You know what is the difference between working with a visa company or not, that for example on a VOA you can get a 7 days extension at immigration, but with a decent company they can get you a 30 day extension on it... This is the difference between paying or not."
It just gets better with each posting ! cheesy.gif

What? My ED visa? It is not expired at all.... Anyway, thanks for all the love, but I have better things to do than writing about my visa ;)

Fine just go away and don't come back.

You know what is the difference between working with a visa company or not, that for example on a VOA you can get a 7 days extension at immigration, but with a decent company they can get you a 30 day extension on it... This is the difference between paying or not.

No that is the difference between obtaining it legally or illegally.

Probably a bogus extension for medical care.

Probably a bogus extension for medical care.

Yes, correct...

My questions are very similar to Nanania’s, so please could you help us on those.

I think ubonjoe gave a very good answer to Nanania’s 1st question. But just to get confirmation on the following: on a single entry visa you can get an extension of stay, but on a multi entry visa it is not possible get an extension of stay at emigration every 90 days (you must leave the country) – is this correctly understood? (Just to explain my situation: I would have to leave Thailand a few times during the year so a multi entry visa would be my preferred choice, but my travelling will be concentrated at certain times of the year which means that there would be maybe 4-5 months without any need for travelling – here an extension of stay would be handy – but if this is not possible with a multi-entry visa I guess I can make a short holiday “abroad”)

For Q2 I understand that after getting the paperwork from the school you will have to get the ED-visa from the consulate/embassy before travelling to Thailand. My question is: If I have signed up for a one year language training can I then choose between a single entry and multi entry visa or is this up to the consulate/embassy?

Q3: I am sorry but I am a complete novice in this (I have only travelled on tourist visas so far) – so please bear with me. With a multi-entry visa, if I before the 90 days expire travel to for example Vietnam for a few days – what do I have to do in order to get another 90 days in Thailand? Will I have to do nothing – when arriving back at Bangkok airport just queue up at immigration with all the tourists and make sure I get the right stamp in the passport or do I have to contact a Thai consulate/embassy while in Vietnam and get some paperwork done there? and/or do I get some paperwork done in Thailand before I go to Vietnam?

My questions are very similar to Nanania’s, so please could you help us on those.

I think ubonjoe gave a very good answer to Nanania’s 1st question. But just to get confirmation on the following: on a single entry visa you can get an extension of stay, but on a multi entry visa it is not possible get an extension of stay at emigration every 90 days (you must leave the country) – is this correctly understood?  (Just to explain my situation: I would have to leave Thailand a few times during the year so a multi entry visa would be my preferred choice, but my travelling will be concentrated at certain times of the year which means that there would be maybe 4-5 months without any need for travelling – here an extension of stay would be handy – but if this is not possible with a multi-entry visa I guess I can make a short holiday “abroad”)

For Q2 I understand that after getting the paperwork from the school you will have to get the ED-visa from the consulate/embassy before travelling to Thailand. My question is: If I have signed up for a one year language training can I then choose between a single entry and multi entry visa or is this up to the consulate/embassy?

Q3: I am sorry but I am a complete novice in this (I have only travelled on tourist visas so far) – so please bear with me. With a multi-entry visa, if I before the 90 days expire travel to for example Vietnam for a few days – what do I have to do in order to get another 90 days in Thailand? Will I have to do nothing – when arriving back at Bangkok airport just queue up at immigration with all the tourists and make sure I get the right stamp in the passport or do I have to contact a Thai consulate/embassy while in Vietnam and get some paperwork done there? and/or do I get some paperwork done in Thailand before I go to Vietnam?

If you have a multiple entry visa you can still apply for an extension during the last 30 days of any of the 90 entries you from visa.

In my opinion it would be better to get a single entry visa and get extensions then apply for a re-entry permit when you plan on traveling. The only problem you could encounter would be if you were not here for the extension.

Being able to get a multiple entry visa would be dependent upon where you apply.

Using the entries of a multiple entry visa is nothing special. Just leave and enter the country and it can be done within minutes.

What I suggest you do is get tourist visa and check out different schools. Then enroll and go to a nearby embassy or consulate for a single entry ED visa unless you are from a country that can't get one other than in home country.