Walen School of Investing - learn how to make money and have a better life!

MacWalen

For those who did not like the price in USD. Also now people can attend the seminar online. Hope you like it.

I like the dart board, as that is all the seminar is about biggrin.png

jbrain, now that you've made it perfectly clear

• that you don't understand investing;
  • that you know nothing about Warren Buffet, don't want to know, and think he's a successful investor only by cheating in ways ordinary investors would find impossible, like buying shares of Coca-Cola and holding them;
  • that you disapprove of the seminar, are not going to attend, and advise everyone not to attend;
  • that you've established your authoritative role as merely perpetual alarm bell, then

why not buzz off now to stop wasting webspace and come back when your alarm bell stops ringing, if ever?

Those investors who wish to follow the highly lucrative and profitable "jbrain alarm bell indicator" can then jump into the market, but until then stay out, all-or-nothing.

And all those ignorants who wish to invest according to some other principle, like Benjamin Graham/Warren Buffet value investing or William O'Neill momentum, now KNOW, definitely, beyond ALL doubt, that they are merely ignorant, because you've told them repeatedly--and you are just going to continue repeating the same thing. Now, at the seminar, you can walk outside carrying a DOOM sign if you wish.

Good?

Edited by JSixpack

• Replies 835
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As far as I'm concerned you can all go short and trade whatever you like. If you want to how to make money from investing and gave a peace of mind let me know. Your money in your money. Use it as you see it fit. Oh..., forgot, make sure you use maximum leverage so you have more fun.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I totally disagree with your assertion MacWalen ! How can you have peace of mind if your portfolio, which according to your strategies you are holding long-term is totally exposed to risk?

You still haven't answered my question as to why you would not recommend writing a call option?

In fact I never understood even from the early stages of this thread when you indicated that you be prepared to write off any losses after I asked you if your portfolio was hedged.

Okay, you lost a lot of money on derivatives but you must haveequally gained knowledge from that experience?

So I'm trying to understand why you wouldn't be advocating to your students the following kind of strategy :-

1. you write a call option and receive the premium. If you are worried about being exercised, you could write a long dated “ out of the money “ call (I'm assuming you understand this terminology) or you could probably get a higher premium by writing a short dated “ in the money “ option. Who cares if your shares are taken from you if they exercise the option? You still get the money.
  2. Then take that premium and buy a corresponding put option. If you don't want to pay as much again you could buy an “ out of the money” option probably quite cheaply and in the event of a market correction you might lose some of your capital. But at least it would be better than losing a large amount if you not covered at all.

There would no doubt be a formula where you would be able to effectively cover your portfolio without having to pay extra out of your own pocket for it and I simply don't understand how you can profess to teach investing unless you are doing this simultaneously.

If you make statements such as investing gives you peace of mind, please explain why you do not yourself engage in this kind of strategy? It would be like owning a rental property, but without taking out any insurance on it?

Edited by midas
  • Like 1

For those who did not like the price in USD. Also now people can attend the seminar online. Hope you like it.

• that you know nothing about Warren Buffet, don't want to know, and think he's a successful investor only by cheating in ways ordinary investors would find impossible, like buying shares of Coca-Cola and holding them;
  • that you disapprove of the seminar, are not going to attend, and advise everyone not to attend;
  • that you've established your authoritative role as merely perpetual alarm bell, then

why not buzz off now to stop wasting webspace and come back when your alarm bell stops ringing, if ever?

Those investors who wish to follow the highly lucrative and profitable "jbrain alarm bell indicator" can then jump into the market, but until then stay out, all-or-nothing.

And all those ignorants who wish to invest according to some other principle, like Benjamin Graham/Warren Buffet value investing or William O'Neill momentum, now KNOW, definitely, beyond ALL doubt, that they are merely ignorant, because you've told them repeatedly--and you are just going to continue repeating the same thing. Now, at the seminar, you can walk outside carrying a DOOM sign if you wish.

Good?

ar130427521737297.jpg That must be the poorest response I've read since long time, you're even more narrow sighted as I would ever had dare to believe.

So let's keep you in your believes, and let me tell you that since the age of 32 I live of my investments and am now 55 years old.

So I guess I must do "something" right, don't you think ?

• Like 2

I dont need your money. I make a lot more from selling language course all over Thailand. I do it because I like it and it may develop into a larger business. Your 2,960 Baht is a symbolic amount. If I offered it for free what what would you say?

My #1 rule of investing:

Never get free investment advice from someone claiming expertise.

If they were so good, they wouldn't do it for free!!!!!!!!!

This is exactly what you would say, would't you?

From and open invitation to an investing course this thread has devolved into something somewhat personal.

I still think it was a fair and legitimate offer.

From and open invitation to an investing course this thread has devolved into something somewhat personal...

...and boring coffee1.gif

I just hate it when you're bored, Naam. It's so sad. What can we do about that? Get midas and mccw to post more entertainment for you in the thread?

• 2 weeks later...

As someone who actively day trades, swing trades, and manages my own (under 5 million USD) investment portfolio in addition to my extended family's, I cannot tell you enough how important it is for anyone with money in the market (self managed or professionally managed) to understand the basic fundamentals of investing.

If the OP's advertised course is intended to teach people the basic fundamentals then it is a solid course that is worth the money - granted you can buy a book, or find the same information and techniques online for free (lots of videos on youtube) but a lot of people prefer dealing the people in person for learning. But we don't know what the course is really about yet do we?

If the OP's course is designed to teach you 'advanced' techniques then let me be the first to tell you there are no such things as 'advanced techniques' unless you are an institutional broker with hundreds of millions of dollars available to manipulate market prices over the course of fraction of seconds to simulate a demand and/or supply that is fictitious in nature as the trade will be cancelled and re-issued a hundred fold over and never actually executed. Speculation and 'market timing' are not any type of technique....

But even if you have a portfolio that is managed by some hot shot NY broker, your local Charles Schwabb, or good old Uncle Tom... knowing the basics of market fundamentals will put you in a far better position to communicate with those who are managing your money and help you understand the decisions behind your portfolio. The era of buy and go away has been done to death. Re-assessment of your portfolio should be done semi-annually if hedged and much more often if not.

I recall the OP having made a statement to the regards that 'everyone who takes the course could be a potential millionaire', which equally describes anyone who buys a lottery ticket. The best advise when it comes to investing are what I refer to as the Big 3.

1. Anyone who can guarantee you a return on your equity - is someone you should never listen to.

2. Don't blindly take a 'stock tip', do your own research and determine for yourself.

3. Don't invest anything you can't afford to lose - because you will lose, even if just an unrealized loss.

I've also read a lot of talk about the Billionaires of Investing!!! Warren Buffet, Prem Watsa, Wilbur Ross, Carl Ichan. Sure, they are amazing and 'value' investors. They just don't get the same kinds of deals you as Joe Blow can get.

Look at what Buffet did in 2008 - he bought $5 billion USD of Goldman Sachs - a new series of preferred shares issued just for him which had many stipulations like a 10% guaranteed dividend, first in line for a payout in event of closure, and lets not forget the warrants to buy $5 billion USD worth of common shares @ 115$/per - lower than the street price at the time the deal went through. This transaction immediately made him a $427 million USD paper profit. Think you can get that deal? Get real.

That's just the tip of the iceberg - we could get into Buffet's Bank of America sweetheart deal in 2011, Watsa/Ross's deal getting into Bank of Ireland in 2012... but what would be the point?

Anyways... I'm sure my post will be dismissed since I have what.. under 10 posts on this forum... but hey, you know what they say about a fool and his money.

• Like 2

unless you are an institutional broker with hundreds of millions of dollars available to manipulate market prices over the course of fraction of seconds to simulate a demand and/or supply that is fictitious in nature as the trade will be cancelled and re-issued a hundred fold over and never actually executed. Speculation and 'market timing' are not any type of technique....

Look at what Buffet did in 2008 - he bought $5 billion USD of Goldman Sachs - a new series of preferred shares issued just for him which had many stipulations like a 10% guaranteed dividend, first in line for a payout in event of closure, and lets not forget the warrants to buy $5 billion USD worth of common shares @ 115$/per - lower than the street price at the time the deal went through. This transaction immediately made him a $427 million USD paper profit. Think you can get that deal? Get real.

That's just the tip of the iceberg - we could get into Buffet's Bank of America sweetheart deal in 2011, Watsa/Ross's deal getting into Bank of Ireland in 2012... but what would be the point?

Anyways... I'm sure my post will be dismissed since I have what.. under 10 posts on this forum... but hey, you know what they say about a fool and his money.

Wait, wait, Jsixpack gonna be here soon to tell us that every one can be a Buffett .

Edited by jbrain

I like the dart board, as that is all the seminar is about xbiggrin.png.pagespeed.ic.r24L-a7U61.web alt=biggrin.png width=20 height=20>

Good?

JSixpack

I think anyone who reads a paper much less someone who knows about investing can come to an agreement that Warren Buffet and the like do not get the same deals a regular investor can get. To suggest otherwise would only show how ignorant you actually are on the topic itself. And frankly, if you believe you can invest and get the same deals WB and Co. can get, then you should be the last person on God's green earth to be giving out advise. From what I have read, it is actually that JBrain knows quite a bit more about investing and underlying concepts than you - yet you seem to tell everyone how he knows nothing. Granted I don't agree with 30% of what he has to say, I can tell you I don't agree with 100% of what you have to say.

But this isn't about you, and it's not about him. This is about the course itself. If the course teaches people how to read technical analysis (line charts, bar charts, candlestick charts), historicals, insider trading filings, balance sheets, quarterly reports, etc - then it is well worth the money for the course as these are imo a required skill set to own stock.

Although, an even better seminar would be - how to never have to pay capital gains tax. It is my understanding that as an American, if I were to trade on any foreign market I would still be liable for capital gains taxes to good ol Uncle Sam, just as I am for trading on the NYSE. If that is not the case - that would make for a seminar even I would pay for!

This is why guys you must ditch this toxic USA passport.

No tax, no income tax, no fine, once you are freed from the irs.

With the money you will save from USA you can live the rest of your life comfortably In thailand.

This is how you make money . keeping the 40 to 50%tax for you.

By not being a US person I m sure I saved lot of $ that I can keep for my self.

I can invest worldwide without filing anything (no fbar, no tax report)

And I don't worry as it s all legal.

The passport is merely a travel document. If you ditch that you're still a US citizen. How do you go about ditching citizenship?

It is not an option for US citizens if you do not have another citizenship. Being stateless is not a good idea. Also US citizenship is one of the best. Great many people would love to be US citizens.

JSixpack

I think anyone who reads a paper much less someone who knows about investing can come to an agreement that Warren Buffet and the like do not get the same deals a regular investor can get. To suggest otherwise would only show how ignorant you actually are on the topic itself. And frankly, if you believe you can invest and get the same deals WB and Co. can get, then you should be the last person on God's green earth to be giving out advise.

Duh. The usual straw man argument for huffing and puffing.

There's been a lot of outright lying here about what said and what I implied. Nor did I advise anybody to do anything. Why should I? I don't care what anybody around here does. What weak egos that need to resort to such nonsense.

Now I did dare say I saw nothing wrong with MacWalen's giving a seminar for newbies. It was a signal for trolls to pile on, I guess.

Nobody said anything here remotely like what you are claiming. In fact my original harmless reference about Buffet said merely that after the recent crash in which prices of BH shares, like most others, had fallen,

[buffet] was still smiling, and telling people that the carnage in the markets was just what you should expect once in a while.

"If you take the couple of centuries we've had, the 19th and the 20th, we've had about 15 bad years in both centuries," he told shareholders, "and we'll have fifteen bad years in centuries to come.

"Capitalism overshoots, and market people do get irrationally exuberant sometimes, but that's the nature of it. You want a dynamic system, and you want a market system that's free to make mistakes to some degree."

--http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8317072.stm

There's nothing there that isn't just common knowledge, factual, and obvious. You see, underneath it all, jbrain actually agrees with it while deluding himself that he doesn't and getting his panties in a wad. He himself listens to his alarm bells before the crashes and gets out. And after his alarm bells go silent as the market rises, he gets back in because he thinks valuations are now good and likely to rise--and that's good. It's not so dissimilar to a Buffet principle (as opposed to exactly how he applies that principle nowadays--a distinction doubtless too subtle for you to grasp) and what countless millions of other average investors do.

We're merely talking about value investment principles.

Now, hack writers lacking your considerable expertise, or rather innocence, about Warren Buffet, say nonsense like:

The principal challenge I faced writing The Warren Buffett Way

was to prove or disprove Buffett’s claim that “what do is not beyond

anybody else’s competence.” Some critics argue that, despite his success,

Warren Buffett’s idiosyncrasies mean his investment approach cannot be

widely adopted. I disagree. Warren Buffett is idiosyncratic—it is a source

of his success—but his methodology, once understood, is applicable to

individuals and institutions alike. . . . The Warren Buffett Way describes

what is, at its core, a simple approach. . . . Whether you are financially able to

purchase 10 percent of a company or merely a hundred shares, this book

can help you achieve profitable investment returns.

--Robert G. Hagstrom, The Warren Buffet Way

. . . much of Buffett’s investment strategy is perfectly suited for the

everyday investor. His advice, which he has been generous in shar-

ing, is simple and almost surefire.

[A couple of Graham value principles:]

A company would have to meet seven of the following ten criteria (as laid out

in Security Analysis) before Graham would consider it a cheap stock:

1. An earnings-to-price yield (the opposite of the price-earnings ratio) that

is twice the current yield of an AAA (top-rated) bond. If bonds are yielding

5 percent, the earnings yield of a stock should be 10 percent. In other

words, you could get 5 percent fairly safely; to take on the risk of a stock,

you want twice the possible reward.

2. A p-e ratio that is historically low for that stock. Specifically, it should be

two-fifths of the average p-e ratio the shares had over the past five years.

--Warren Boroson, Pick Stocks Like Warren Buffet

Now do tell why an average investor can't do exactly that? How are those principles useless? You and jbrain keep saying it but you give no reason at all. Inquiring minds would like to know.

So again why don't you just tell us exactly which of Graham/Buffet's principles you specifically disagree with? Let's have your list. And don't gimme that BS that if you can't do exactly what Warren Buffet does, and therefore be Warren Buffet, that therefore you just can't learn anything useful from him or his mentor Graham about value investing. Don't throw out that red herring that I said you could be Warren Buttet. I never said such nonsense; don't lie that I did.

Just the other day, dividend.com, a site geared for the average investor, published The Unofficial Dividend.com Guide To Being An Investor. Right up at the top of the how-to advice list are these rules with which you strongly disagree:

2. Spend $2.99 and buy Warren Buffett’s shareholder letters. It’s the second-best investment you’ll ever make.

3. Spend a weekend reading Warren Buffett’s shareholder letters. It’s the best investment you’ll ever make.

From what I have read, it is actually that JBrain knows quite a bit more about investing and underlying concepts than you - yet you seem to tell everyone how he knows nothing. Granted I don't agree with 30% of what he has to say, I can tell you I don't agree with 100% of what you have to say.

Your judgement, so well documented, intelligent, supported by recognized authorities and irrefutable studies, is just devastating to the whole idea of Graham/Buffet value investing in favor of the JBrain alarm bell indicator. I had told him he should publish it. Maybe give a scale as to number of bells--1 to 5, say. Make a great little newsletter. Jeez, I gotta sign up!

But this isn't about you, and it's not about him. This is about the course itself. If the course teaches people how to read technical analysis (line charts, bar charts, candlestick charts), historicals, insider trading filings, balance sheets, quarterly reports, etc - then it is well worth the money for the course as these are imo a required skill set to own stock.

Brilliant. That way, one entirely avoids any methodology used by Warren Buffet and of course by his mentor Ben Graham. smile.png They never even heard of such arcane techniques! Take balance sheet--you know Warren Buffet has never heard of one!

He might pay you for that tip.

Although, an even better seminar would be - how to never have to pay capital gains tax. It is my understanding that as an American, if I were to trade on any foreign market I would still be liable for capital gains taxes to good ol Uncle Sam, just as I am for trading on the NYSE. If that is not the case - that would make for a seminar even I would pay for!

Wesley Snipes took such a seminar to excellent effect. Go for it--or spend 3 minutes on the phone with a legitimate American tax accountant.

I hope you enjoyed the attention.

There's nothing there that isn't just common knowledge, factual, and obvious. You see, underneath it all, jbrain actually agrees with it while deluding himself that he doesn't and getting his panties in a wad. He himself listens to his alarm bells before the crashes and gets out. And after his alarm bells go silent as the market rises, he gets back in because he thinks valuations are now good and likely to rise--and that's good. It's not so dissimilar to a Buffet principle (as opposed to exactly how he applies that principle nowadays--a distinction doubtless too subtle for you to grasp) and what countless millions of other average investors do.

From what I have read, it is actually that JBrain knows quite a bit more about investing and underlying concepts than you - yet you seem to tell everyone how he knows nothing. Granted I don't agree with 30% of what he has to say, I can tell you I don't agree with 100% of what you have to say.

Your judgement, so well documented, intelligent, supported by recognized authorities and irrefutable studies, is just devastating to the whole idea of Graham/Buffet value investing in favor of the JBrain alarm bell indicator. I had told him he should publish it. Maybe give a scale as to number of bells--1 to 5, say. Make a great little newsletter. Jeez, I gotta sign up!

I can't even be bothered to point out how you're twisting words now to make appear you said things you've actually never said.

Other posters may take the time and go back to the concerned previous posts of you, in this and that other thread about investments in the Thai stock market, and find for themselves that you're making a lot of wind, and nothing else.

• Like 2

I like the dart board, as that is all the seminar is about Posted Image

Good?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

He wont go as we will give you that doom sign and you can leave

• Like 1

Good?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

He wont go as we will give you that doom sign and you can leave

all the dissenters can wear one of these outside

post-149848-0-09059600-1381627972_thumb.

Now do tell why an average investor can't do exactly that? How are those principles useless? You and jbrain keep saying it but you give no reason at all. Inquiring minds would like to know.

Actually, Inquiring minds would have read my post and would therefor have no questions at all as to how an average investor cannot do exactly that. I detailed the entire 2008 Goldman Sachs Warren Buffet deal. If you are of the impression that you as an average investor can get a company to issue a new series of preferred shares with perks that I already described in detail, in a previous post, then you are quite delusional.

The fact of the matter is that you seem hell bent on attempting to make others look stupid by intentionally misquoting them. You did this to JBrain and are now doing this to me. Like I have said since my first posting here. Teaching basic market fundamentals is a good course to offer - with the value being worth the asking price. That is something we apparently BOTH agree on however you continue to, not only, attack my opinion but also facts? Brilliant.

And for the record, all you pretentious quote mongers who seem to think that VALUE INVESTING originated with Benjamin Graham are only fooling yourselves. Sure, Graham and David Dodd were the first to TEACH this investing style, they hardly invented it. Buying securities that trade for less than their intrinsic value is nothing new to anyone, and certainly wasn't new to the wealthy circa 1928.

• Like 1

only way you will learn is to do it yourself. All the stuff is now free on internet and then you learn by hard knocks. You will win some loose many and in end be wise enough to know no one can teach you what works. One persons risky investment is anothers opportunity. Don't fall for any nonsense courses. Rad do your own research and then do what you think is best. Its a combination of knowledge, luck hard work and most important understanding risk analysis and even if you are good at all those you might not win. On other hand those who stick a pin in the wall do as well as so called experts.

• Like 1

only way you will learn is to do it yourself. All the stuff is now free on internet and then you learn by hard knocks. You will win some loose many and in end be wise enough to know no one can teach you what works. One persons risky investment is anothers opportunity. Don't fall for any nonsense courses. Rad do your own research and then do what you think is best. Its a combination of knowledge, luck hard work and most important understanding risk analysis and even if you are good at all those you might not win. On other hand those who stick a pin in the wall do as well as so called experts.

And they certainly couldn't teach you much in the day! But not only that even the Stock Exchange of Thailand has a wealth of free information and runs free seminars. It beggars belief why anyone would want to pay to hear someone who has already lost a lot of money profess that he has expertise. Now he claims like some kind of born-again Christian that he sees the light and the error of his ways. Hallelujah!

• Like 2

Yes. I have a lot of expertise now. There are people who are interested and I believe they would be satisfied.

And for the 3000 baht does that include you giving attendees psychotropic stimulants to enable them to interpret down trends as uptrends ?giggle.gif blink.png

• Like 2

well explain a bit about this expertise, if you are as you mentioned against short selling at certain phases in the market and using Kelly criterion to calculate risk exposure then you are not that experienced at all far from I would say. buy low and hold, any real investor/trader knows that there is no such thing as cheap or expensive stocks, to know the real value you have to calculate the P/E ratios as bare minimum. But I guess you know all that right ?

Keep a close eye on the emerging markets.....which Thailand is. haven't you read the newspapers.....most investors are staying far away from Thailan with their $$, of course teh SET goes down and it is the fault of the foreign investors, hahahha of course, why would they invest in a political unstable corrupt climate ?

By the way you cannot teach people how to invest in a weekend's course......if that would be possible there would be a lot of rich people walking the earth, by the way these rich take their money to hedge funds. Or will you deny that too ? get real man.

Rich take their money to hedge funds? Some do, some don't. No need to be rich in order to invest and want to learn about it. Seems you talk a lot but know little.

Edited by MacWalen