Gideon's Bible - Buddhist Style

camerata

I stayed at a delapidated old hotel in Kyoto last night and beside the bed was a book called The Teaching of Buddha published by The Society for the Promotion of Buddhism. Anyone seen anything like this before? I haven't. It's the 1105th edition, so they must have distributed a lot already.

Actually, it's pretty good. More than half of it is the Buddha's life and basic teachings, with a Mahayanaesque flavour - Shakyamuni's Great Vows etc - then it moves into Pure Land teachings and practical ways to apply them to everyday life. All in all a good read. I was going to say, 'Better than the Bible' but maybe I'm biased. :o

I stayed at a delapidated old hotel in Kyoto last night and beside the bed was a book called The Teaching of Buddha published by The Society for the Promotion of Buddhism. Anyone seen anything like this before? I haven't. It's the 1105th edition, so they must have distributed a lot already.

Actually, it's pretty good. More than half of it is the Buddha's life and basic teachings, with a Mahayanaesque flavour - Shakyamuni's Great Vows etc - then it moves into Pure Land teachings and practical ways to apply them to everyday life. All in all a good read. I was going to say, 'Better than the Bible' but maybe I'm biased. :o

I've come across the same book in at least a dozen hotels here in Thailand.