Are There Any Advantages to Registering a Marriage?

mesquite

A friend is going to marry his Thai girlfriend. He has told me he will register the marriage at the local Amphur, because "it's the right thing to do."

I can see no reason for him to register the marriage as it opens him up to various legal/financial problems should the marriage not work out. In an unregistered marriage, either party can simply walk away.

So what is the advantage, if any, of registering a marriage here in Thailand?

• Like 1

He could try it in the UK !

Ignore all that Church/Registry office nonsense --------just have a party and declare yourself "married "

This is what most Thai's do. In the eye's of their community you are married and that seems to be good enough here.

He could try it in the UK !

Ignore all that Church/Registry office nonsense --------just have a party and declare yourself "married "

yes but getting the Visa for the lady without being officially married is much more difficult.

and indeed the marriage if not registered is not valid

If you are going to receive a pension, if you are legally married on most cases your wife will be entitled to 60% of it when you die.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Only if you die before 6th April 2016. That is form the UK Government Pensions Dept.

After that your wife will (if you are a UK citizen) a lump sum of around £5000, or £10,000 if she has school age children.

Some occupational pensions will only pay the wife a widows pension if the marriage is registered.

If you are going to receive a pension, if you are legally married on most cases your wife will be entitled to 60% of it when you die.

Would you have to be legally married to her in the country you get the pension from?

That could be interesting as I already have an ex drawing from my Social Security in the States.

He is either going to marry her or not marry her.

Marriage is done at the Amphur office.

If he marries her

He will be the father of their children and have parental rights.

He will be able to get a VISA to visit his wife.

He will be able to inherit her stuff if she dies.

He will be able to inherit her stuff if she dies. "you gotta be joking"

Inherit what? her cast off apparel? Her old shoes. c'mon.

Marriage is done at the Amphur office. Not correct in it's entirety, "it is registered at the amphur"

If he marries her

But what about inheriting land/property? What happens to that if she dies before him?

Just be warned. My marriage (attempt) was a pain in the butt. First, the US Embassy, then taking all of the forms and getting them translated into Thai for the Amphur office. Problem was--there were small errors in the translation and we had to get it redone 3 times from different translators before they got it right. When we finally went to the Amphur, they had misspelled my last name by one letter off. They wouldn't accept it.

We spent an entire week running around and by then we were exhausted.

I ended up dodging a bullet because the relationship didn't work out after a few years and I was able to walk away. If it had been legal, I would have been screwed.

For once, bureaucratic incompetence saved my behind.

• Like 1

If he is going to marry his girlfriend in Thailand , it has to be an Amphur marriage in order to be valid . The other alternative is to marry in your own home country , or at your embassy in Bangkok .

the regular Thai marriage with the display of gold and counting out the money , has no validity at all , either party can simply walk away as if nothing had happened .

You cannot get a marriage visa without the certificate from the Amphur . I would advise an older man retiring to Thailand , to get a retirement visa and not to get married at all , or simply to have the traditional Thai wedding with party . My wife and I only had the Amphur wedding , by ourselves one wet afternoon ; we didn't tell anybody until days later .

The marriage visa requires a tiresome pile of documents for the immigration extension of visa each year .

Would you have to be legally married to her in the country you get the pension from?

That could be interesting as I already have an ex drawing from my Social Security in the States.

For an American to get legally married with a Thai citizen, needs to register at the Thai Foreign Ministry with proof of income from the US Embassy....if not..cannot register the marriage at the Amphur. If divorced before, needs to bring also the divorce papers to the Amphur. With all that documentation the marriage is also valid in America, and the Thai spouse gain the rights to get 60% of the SS income after its death, and apply for American residence and citizenship.

Will be very rare that a Thai fiance will not demand the marriage to be register at the Amphur....very rare.

I omitted to say a marriage certificate from another country is perfectly valid , and saves all the parlava of a Thai wedding .

I would say to any foreigner planning to marry a Thai girlfriend , be careful whom you marry .

Bargirls and girls working in holiday resorts , could put your finances at grave risk of disappearing altogether .

• Like 1

If he intends to buy a property for her its best to be married as he is then legally entitled to get 50% of the sale if they divorce..

News to me. Has the law been changed recently? What is your source, please?

As I understand the current situation, a house bought in a Thai wife's name is hers, irrespective of where the money came from.

If you supplied the cash it is treated as her money (a marriage gift) and you have to sign a form when the house sale is registered foregoing any claim to the property.

If you don't sign you are breaking the law and risk jail and/or a hefty fine. If you do, the house belongs exclusively to the wife and you have no claim on the sale proceeds should you divorce.

I have asked on this and other expat websites to hear of any falang who has ever been granted a share of the house sale by a Thai divorce court - and have never had a single response. Endless falangs report losing one or more houses to their ex.

I am married to a Thai lady for whom I have bought a house and while I love and trust her, it would of course be reassuring to know that, should we ever part, I would receive at least some financial compensation.

Over to you!

If he marries her

He will be able to inherit her stuff if she dies. "you gotta be joking"

Inherit what? her cast off apparel? Her old shoes. c'mon.

Marriage is done at the Amphur office. Not correct in it's entirety, "it is registered at the amphur"

I don't know about your partner but mine owns real properties, mutual funds, bank accounts, vehicles, etc.

• Like 1