Postal Deliveries

RioMist

Is it just where I live or is it all over the Rawai area? I am serviced by Rawai P.O. I used to live in Land & House and had a postal delivery nearly every day. About 20 months ago I moved further out near Kwang Road. We used to get deliveries about 3 to 4 times a week which was acceptable but recently we are lucky to have 2 deliveries a week sometimes only 1. Is it the same everywhere? I end up driving to the P.O. to collect my mail if I am expecting a urgent delivery. If my letters or parcel miss a delivery I have to wait nearly a week for another delivery.

There was an article and thread about the Rawai Post Office about 6 months ago. They have a lack of staff and with all the over development, they are unable to keep up with all the deliveries. I waited on my fiancee's visa approval letter for two months. EMS delivery is usually timely, but the US Embassy was too cheap to pay for EMS after they had already collected hundreds of dollars from me to process the visa.

Edited by Jimi007

Back to the topic: My 3BB bill still seems to arrive every month, which is about the only snail mail I ever get anyway, other than one letter seven months ago that was delayed. As said EMS is always timely.

Edited by LivinginKata
off topic remarks removed

You can be sure its not only in your area. I visit the main post office twice monthly looking for parcels which I can track all the way from Europe to Phuket. Btw, In case you not know already they have recently changed office for where the parcels get distributed to another building outside the main post office in town, a few blocks up the road.

You can be sure its not only in your area. I visit the main post office twice monthly looking for parcels which I can track all the way from Europe to Phuket. Btw, In case you not know already they have recently changed office for where the parcels get distributed to another building outside the main post office in town, a few blocks up the road.

Are you talking about the Rawai Post Office?

No complaints in Chalong and I believe we are served by Rawai PO.

Yes, same place.

Where I live in Rawai I never get ,ail, they simply can not find the address, so I ahve all my mail delivered to the shop in Kata. And here mail arrives every day, sometimes even on Sundays.

Back on topic. All my mail arrives in a timely fashion in Patong. To date, I have never had any mail gone missing, arrive ridiculously late, opened, broken or stolen. In fact, I'm quite happy with Thai Post deliveries to Patong. I have no idea why other areas of the island would take so much longer to go only a few kilometers more.

Edited by LivinginKata
off topic remarks removed

Back on topic. All my mail arrives in a timely fashion in Patong. To date, I have never had any mail gone missing, arrive ridiculously late, opened, broken or stolen. In fact, I'm quite happy with Thai Post deliveries to Patong. I have no idea why other areas of the island would take so much longer to go only a few kilometers more.

I think Patong is relatively easy with regards to house numbers and accessibility, same as Kata.

Rawai and Chalong are more difficult, with more back streets with 1-2 houses, backstreets on those backstreets, etc. Don't know if that is why the OP is experiencing problems (Land & House is easy of course), but do think that is why I don't receive any mail in Rawai (hence the move of the mail to Kata).

Edited by stevenl

I know that they have a lot of problem with staffing at many PO offices.

We have the same problem in Kathu.

Sometimes its fine for a few months and then again nothing any more and i have to collect the mail myself.

But i never had any problem with opened mail or so on.

Are you talking about the Rawai Post Office?

No, but I was sure all post got sorted at the main post office in town and distributed from there but its not so I have learned and stand corrected.

Patong house numbers are all over the place, caused by the building process as houses are numbered in sequence of build rather than sequence along the road. At our buildings in Patong the houses on one side if the road have a completely different numbering sequence than our side if the road. We have no trouble with post deliveries in Kata and Patong as I have always made myself known to the postman, in a friendly/polite manner and make sure he can identify our mail number. Any problems occur when there is a change of post person, so I go through the identification process again.

The biggest problem seems to be incorrect delivery. When incorrect post is delivered to our box then I always go to the trouble of taking the mail to the correct address. Never see other folks doing that, they just throw away usually after opening and having a nosey look at the letter details.

I think Patong is relatively easy with regards to house numbers and accessibility, same as Kata.

Rawai and Chalong are more difficult, with more back streets with 1-2 houses, backstreets on those backstreets, etc. Don't know if that is why the OP is experiencing problems (Land & House is easy of course), but do think that is why I don't receive any mail in Rawai (hence the move of the mail to Kata).

Could it be the postman/postwomen reads better english in Patong, or many Sois have an english spelt name, which would be the language foreigners use to state the delivery address, than those elsewhere on the island?

As a side question, can any memeber recommend an international courier and tell of their experience?

To date, visiting friends/relative have personally bought over valuable or important items, but I may need the services of a courier in the future for items a little more important than documents.

Edited by NamKangMan

I live along a dirt track in Koh Kaew and my mail service has steadily gone downhill over the past two years. I now get NO mail delivery to my house- EMS included. I have had credit cards and other items returned to sender. It is necessary for my wife to go in person to the main post office to get our mail. No real excuse except they have a new delivery boy who I guess doesn't want to get his motorbike dirty. Unreal.