Was I just ripped off by SCB FXS?

hermespan

Arriving from another nation I wanted to change money. I was reluctant to exchange at the airport suspecting poorer FXS rates than in city. But my fear was assuaged when I observed sn SCB sign reading that all banks af aurport have the same rates of FXS. I got my THB fiat currency notes buying rate of 30.49 Half an hour later K Bank posted rate was 31.81

I can think of several possibilities...

1. In the spirit of banksters the sign at SCB. was deliberately misleading - the fact is that all SCB FXS booths at the airport are the same, but competitors might be different (from K Bank and from each other)

2. Poor translation skills employed

3. FXS rate jumped 2% in less than 30 minutes.

An a related note J asked (because I am very poor at math ) an FXS clerk what was the % difference between rate for TCs vs. cash. She didn't understand the question. BTW, it is somewhere between 4-5% accorfing to mh rough calculation (although because of the TC fee per TC. that changes it)

I also had to fight with her to get the SCB clerk to watch. (four eyes at once) the finsl counting of thd money.

SCB, don't give me this wai b.s., be businesslike snd count the cash as we both look on in plain view instead of looking away. At my vank in Canada they count slowly and in piles ov thousands (or hundreds) and in full view.

What is this laziness, classism or a bizarre 'what you don't TRUST us?' unorifessional practice?

That was the third rate, to clarify...

USD to THB

banknotes 100

1. airport SCB - arrival, immediately after Immigration but before Customs, around 10:15.... 30.49

2. airport K, near City link, before 1pm..... 31.81

3. Sukhumvit K - 2;23 pm........ 30.98

If you have to do any forex dealing at the airport, make it the bare minimum you need so that 2% of buggerall is farkall.

For someone with such an interest in exchange rates that he is checking them every 30 minutes in different locations, I would have thought the OP would have this forex lark well sussed out.

Exchange rate in the airport is at least 1 Baht less then outside.

All exchange booths within the airport use indeed the exact same rate.

They likely have to pay the difference to the AOT, or pay ridiculous high rent.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

TMB and SCB have monopoly with FXs in Suvarnabhumi Airport so try to avoid them as they do rate fixings.

K-Bank's presence at the airport is due to their special arrangement with the Airport Rail Link which owns that area. So K-Bank rates on the ARL is basically almost a city rate (because it's not a special deal with the Airport)

• 3 weeks later...

Just to put this into some context, the same OP started an infamous thread on another SEA expat forum suggesting that instead of paying for water at 'all-you-can-eat' buffets, we foreigners should note that many Asian desserts feature ice and that we should scoop that ice, let it melt by sitting outside, and drink that instead.

You can see why he is so outraged by this perceived scam on him, given that information.

• Like 1

Why do do you think you've been ripped off?

You saw the exchange rate and changed money.

No one forced you to do it.

Get over it. It's bit exactly a lot of money is it? What less then a baht per dollar? Are you that hard up?

hermes is a classic victim, breadbin. I've already referred to his great ice idea to avoid paying for water. You should see some of his other threads on another forum - it's laughable - particularly how he was supposedly 'gouged' by a driver in Cambodia recently.

In some farangs' minds, every single interaction with a little brown person who likely has less education than them, is a cunning attempt to cheat and deceive them.

• Like 1