Counter staff at Chiang Mai Immigration

Somebody wants to talk about Chiang Mai Immigration. There is a picture of the officer in charge outside one of the buildings there that

says you should call if you experience any inconvienence. Did you try that? wink.png

If you ever get a chance to use any office other than Chiang Mai you might find some differences. After we moved from Chiang Mai we found that we no longer needed copies of everything for things like 90 day check-ins. The new immigration office just gave them back at us and said we don't need these.

If you like queing up hours before the immigration office opens (or getting there hours early to sign a list to get to take a number... and make sure you get two numbers if you are a couple because you will need to come back the next day because 1 number one service...policy.) Chiang Mai is the place.

Surely the worst immigration office in Thailand, a real disgrace.

In the end it is not there fault Bangkok refuses to send them more staff or to improve the conditions of buildings there, blame the head guys but the people at Chiang Mai immigration are doing the best they can with what they have.

I've heard that before and it's baloney. If other offices don't require copies for mundan proceedures such as 90 days reporting then they could also. they have no concern about making it easier for the ever increasing number of foriegners using the office.

It should be easy to get a statement from the Chiang Mai office officially stating they give crap service because Bangkok hates them. No?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

chiang mai

All "of topic" but thanks for the laugh !

Stand by to be wiped out !smile.png

I'm very serious, I pay X to a visa company that here in Chiang Mai that provides excellent service, they provide me with four 90 day report slips (via email), and a re-entry visa (if I want it) and it all works really well, I notify them if my 90 day report date changes by virtue of travel and the agency staff all speak excellent English.

They will also take care of my O-A visa extention if I ask them to but historically that has always been a simple and trouble free process for me, especially using the online reservation system. Cost of service? Very inexpensive, especially when compared to the frustration and time expended otherwise. Safety? I keep my passport with me at all time and the agency takes copies once a year.

Could you let me have the name of this agency. I am also in Chiang Mai 0860124207

Believe me, it is the entire procedure which frustrates staff and customers alike. I waited a solid SIX hours at the main immigration office in Bangkok yesterday for the re-issuance of my resident permit booklet as the old one was full. The normal procedure would take four days but the staff, very helpful indeed, sped up matters. It took four photos, three forms and one staff doing the running, copying etc. for something which in essence should just bring come cash into the government's coffers.
Simplifying would make the entire organisation leaner, more efficient and faster. Obvious even our hosts are frustrated over this complication resulting in blank nerves at time.
Driving to Bangkok and back = 3 hours
driving across Bangkok from Bang Na to Mochit by BTS/taxi and back = 2 hours
Complete forms and lots of waiting = 6 hours
Costs:
New booklet THB 1'900
Endorsement THB 1'900
Multiple re-entry THB 3'800
Total THB 7'600 and eleven hours gone for something you could do in a fraction of time. Logically would be to charge THB 20'000 for a booklet and do away with endorsements/re-entries. Leaner all the way but as I mentioned "logically" ...........

Hey guys 'n gals from CMX just to comfort you a little. It's the same or even worse on Koh Samui. Some terrible unfriendly staff, a corrupt boss, a tiny office that's forever cramped full. And - many fellow farang showing up in very informal attire. Muscle men without T-shirts, some women barely more than a bikini. Not to mention the tatoos and the lack of hygine, soap and shampoo...

This pretty ridiculous. The police and immigration is part of the police force..and the police force in Thailand is utterly corrupt with almost all positions filled by nepotism rather by merit. They don't need more staff. They need to use scanning and computer technology. The endless piles of paperwork can easily be replaced with digital scanning. The 90 day report could very easily be replaced with a bar code scanning tool.The passport office at Sala Glang is very efficient. All it would take is some consulting with their system management and half of the staff at immigration could go...but to where?... it is a job for life after all.......

Or maybe I am just missing an ironic comment here.

Somebody wants to talk about Chiang Mai Immigration. There is a picture of the officer in charge outside one of the buildings there that

says you should call if you experience any inconvienence. Did you try that? wink.png

If you ever get a chance to use any office other than Chiang Mai you might find some differences. After we moved from Chiang Mai we found that we no longer needed copies of everything for things like 90 day check-ins. The new immigration office just gave them back at us and said we don't need these.

If you like queing up hours before the immigration office opens (or getting there hours early to sign a list to get to take a number... and make sure you get two numbers if you are a couple because you will need to come back the next day because 1 number one service...policy.) Chiang Mai is the place.

In the end it is not there fault Bangkok refuses to send them more staff or to improve the conditions of buildings there, blame the head guys but the people at Chiang Mai immigration are doing the best they can with what they have.

Edited by SPIKECM
  • Like 1

Why not try speaking nicely to and about her----------Using the Thai language of course !xsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.4tUibSscbZ.webp

I agree. I have found that they can all be somewhat grumpy. Can you blame them? They deal with us all day! But as soon as I smile and speak some Thai their demeanor changes immediately! They suddenly get very friendly and helpful.

• Like 1

Why not try speaking nicely to and about her----------Using the Thai language of course !smile.png

Thai langauge won't impress anyone at immigration. I speak it pretty well and every time I speak in Thai to them, they answer back in English. That is standard experience though with most Thais. Speak a few words and they love it. Any more and you know a bit too much. I have a friend who has a masters degree in Thai. Sometimes it takes him three sentences before they answer back in Thai.

What?! You must be terrible then :) Not my experience at all. As soon as I speak Thai to them they start treating me as one of their own. And I'm not even that skilled.

Lots of interest in visa agents, I've handed out the details of the one I use to about eight people thus far. Others please note I'm not reading Thaivisa for the next week since I'm away but will reply to your PM's when I return.

I'm loath to criticize the staff at CM Immigration because we've always had a good service there though that is partly thanks to knowing some of the staff personally over the years. However the service offered generally now is dire compared to ten years ago due to the huge rise in applications not being matched by an increase in staff or space available. Quite simply the place cannot cope any more, with people regularly travelling long distances and despite arriving early in the morning being told to come back the next day as the 'quota' for their type of visa is already full for the day but with no guarantee things will be any different the following day.

The situation needs to be addressed and fast.

Great experience at CM Immigration.

Went last Thursday at 3:00 for 90 day notification

I had prepared all the correct paper work at home.

Walked in door and got ticket at counter from young lady.

My ticket number was next to be served. No waiting in line.

Gave paper work and passport to man at 90 day counter and was immediately served.

Walked out the door and checked my time.

3 MINUTES and 45 SECONDS.

Can't beat that service!!!!

• Like 2

This pretty ridiculous. The police and immigration is part of the police force..and the police force in Thailand is utterly corrupt with almost all positions filled by nepotism rather by merit. They don't need more staff. They need to use scanning and computer technology. The endless piles of paperwork can easily be replaced with digital scanning. The 90 day report could very easily be replaced with a bar code scanning tool.The passport office at Sala Glang is very efficient. All it would take is some consulting with their system management and half of the staff at immigration could go...but to where?... it is a job for life after all.......

Or maybe I am just missing an ironic comment here.

Scanning and computer technology?........they can't even keep the ticket machine in the corner working!

And what about all of us with barcodes, that's technology isn't it, but it isn't being used and no-one knows what to do with it, so why go further along the technology line?

No-one knows for sure what Bangkok does or does not do.

Great experience at CM Immigration.

Went last Thursday at 3:00 for 90 day notification

I had prepared all the correct paper work at home.

Walked in door and got ticket at counter from young lady.

My ticket number was next to be served. No waiting in line.

Gave paper work and passport to man at 90 day counter and was immediately served.

Walked out the door and checked my time.

3 MINUTES and 45 SECONDS.

Can't beat that service!!!!

The OP is about one person performing poorly. There is a facility on the immigration website to email comments/complaints.

From what I have read recently there have been marked improvements in the performance overall at Chiangmai Imm.

I will be seeing for myself next week with visa extension,90 days and re- entry permit,hopefully on the same day.

How do you know that I didn't? In fact, I smiled, spoke gently, and spoke both Thai and English.

Why not try speaking nicely to and about her----------Using the Thai language of course !smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png

Please try not to draw conclusions that go beyond the evidence presented.

No I have no personal experience.

Sounds as if someone should have a quiet word with one of the more Senior immigration officials.

The girl maybe needs a change of job.

If the Lady really is "challenged" the Thais should be applauded for for attempting to integrate her into the workforce

She's not particularly challenged, when measuring her against the population as a whole. However, she is not up to the job to which she has been assigned. I cannot see that a change of assignment within the Immigration Police would result in more efficient and effective performance.

By all means integrate her into the workforce, but perhaps applause should be withheld (or at least muted), pending her integration into a part of the workforce, outside the Immigration Police, to which her skill set is better suited.

"Please try not to draw conclusions that go beyond the evidence presented."

"She's not particularly challenged, when measuring her against the population as a whole."

Well, thanks for supplying the evidence. Sounds like your definition of "speaking nicely to and about her (and Thai people generally)" may differ from the usual one.

"Sounds like your definition of "speaking nicely to and about her (and Thai people generally)" may differ from the usual one."

1) If you were to conclude what you are suggesting that what I said sounds like, you would be going beyond the evidence provided. 2) Please do not quote me as saying things that I did not say ("and about her").

3) Please consider your deep-seated motivation for your post. What need did it satisfy deep within you? What did you hope to achieve? (Please dont tell us, because we are not the ones who will benefit; but do engage in self-reflection on this matter.)

Beggars belief in this day and age IMHO that ticket numbers are still dispensed manually at a large immigration office like Chiang Mai! At my local immigration office (Maptaput), all you do is press the relevant button on a machine and out pops a numbered ticket for you!

However, does such an antediluvian practice remain the rule rather than the exception at immigration offices generally?

I'm sure you Chiang Maians can't wait for the day when that allegedly incompetent female is replaced by a machinewhistling.gif

This is funny!!

We had a Machine!

It was replaced by her.... Maybe she is Daughter of some Senior Officer in C.M. Immigration Office??? Lest be careful who you complain to... Probably better Idea is to next time have friend Video with Phone and post here and on Facebook... Title Video "Whats wrong with this Picture"? They will get they message and quietly correct issue. You have politely helped Officer save Face...

Beggars belief in this day and age IMHO that ticket numbers are still dispensed manually at a large immigration office like Chiang Mai! At my local immigration office (Maptaput), all you do is press the relevant button on a machine and out pops a numbered ticket for you!

However, does such an antediluvian practice remain the rule rather than the exception at immigration offices generally?

I'm sure you Chiang Maians can't wait for the day when that allegedly incompetent female is replaced by a machinewhistling.gif

This is funny!!

We had a Machine!

It was replaced by her.... Maybe she is Daughter of some Senior Officer in C.M. Immigration Office??? Lest be careful who you complain to... Probably better Idea is to next time have friend Video with Phone and post here and on Facebook... Title Video "Whats wrong with this Picture"? They will get they message and quietly correct issue. You have politely helped Officer save Face...

I'll tell you what would be wrong with that picture, it would be posting it without her permission and be an offence!

chrisartist

" "Sounds like your definition of "speaking nicely to and about her (and Thai people generally)" may differ from the usual one."

1) If you were to conclude what you are suggesting that what I said sounds like, you would be going beyond the evidence provided. 2) Please do not quote me as saying things that I did not say ("and about her").

3) Please consider your deep-seated motivation for your post. What need did it satisfy deep within you? What did you hope to achieve? (Please dont tell us, because we are not the ones who will benefit; but do engage in self-reflection on this matter.)"

What does this mean and who is it addressed to ?

chrisartist

" "Sounds like your definition of "speaking nicely to and about her (and Thai people generally)" may differ from the usual one."

3) Please consider your deep-seated motivation for your post. What need did it satisfy deep within you? What did you hope to achieve? (Please dont tell us, because we are not the ones who will benefit; but do engage in self-reflection on this matter.)"

What does this mean and who is it addressed to ?

It's addressed to suradit69, post #24, as is indicated by the quotation blocks. It's meaning will be evident if you read what suradit69 wrote and not otherwise.

The CM Immigration Office goes a pretty good job, considering the facilities and resources they have to work with. Sorry the OP had a problem getting a number, but the personal nature of his/her (?) remarks, directed at one individual, seem a bit overly hostile. In the four years I have been reporting to the office, I have found that the system is slowly improving.

When I go there, four time a year, I try to imagine that I am on the set of a live "sitcom", as I watch this parade of anxious farangs milling about, seeking attention and service. As has been pointed out before, if you're just wanting to do your routine 90 day report, and/or getting a re-entry permit, show up after 1:30 and you'll probably be in and out in an hour or so. There's no point showing up before 7:00 AM, standing in a queue in the muggy parking lot, shifting from foot to foot, if you don't have to.

I was there two days ago for my annual renewal (retirement). Was handed number 43, from the hand of the young person who got slammed in the OP. Got number 227, to come back after 1:30. Got served and processed at 2:00, was out by 2:30.

I have noticed that agents of the visa services, coming in carrying a big stack of passports, get served right away. I'm going to sign on with one of those outfits. The cost is quite reasonable. I will miss seeing the people parade, though.

• Like 1

I am not terrible. I can read and write Thai having learned it in University in Chiang Mai and schools in Bangkok. I have been speaking Thai for 13 years. I wish I didn't know a word in Thai to be honest. If I Thai knows 5 words in English then they prefer to talk in English. Try speaking to a Thai air hostess in Thai and they hate it. Unless your vocabulary is limited to say "Kop Khun Krup".

Why not try speaking nicely to and about her----------Using the Thai language of course !smile.png

Thai langauge won't impress anyone at immigration. I speak it pretty well and every time I speak in Thai to them, they answer back in English. That is standard experience though with most Thais. Speak a few words and they love it. Any more and you know a bit too much. I have a friend who has a masters degree in Thai. Sometimes it takes him three sentences before they answer back in Thai.

What?! You must be terrible then smile.png Not my experience at all. As soon as I speak Thai to them they start treating me as one of their own. And I'm not even that skilled.

No I have no personal experience.

Sounds as if someone should have a quiet word with one of the more Senior immigration officials.

The girl maybe needs a change of job.

If the Lady really is "challenged" the Thais should be applauded for for attempting to integrate her into the workforce

That's what they do with many "challenged" Thai teachers and look at the mess it causes!
  • Like 1

We did it yesterday and she was there. I noticed that she said the same thing to everyone no mater what the question was. No trip to immigration is pleasant in CM because the staff has the same large people load every day. They endure daily the same poor attitudes of people who want what they want now. They are always short staffed and I wonder how they keep their cool. Grin and bare it. Give em a break.

That's fair comment. Some of the officers where I go are always under huge pressure. Understaffed, ever changing rules and bosses and occasionally very rude foreigners. My wife and I somtimes get frustrated but when you look at the facilities, staff levels, probable lack of training, etc etc objectively you realize do try to do a professional job and are usually helpful. I watch some and they never stop working, whilst others are engrossed on facebook or whatever. Privilage of rank !

Given the pressures from above and clients, most, ime, do a very good job. Although we always remember the bad ones.

• Like 1

How very sad that this should be so. Its as though this office has a policy of employing people with little, if any, English language skills. I recently witnessed the young official under criticism here deal with a Japanese person and was unable to deal with the latters elementary English and dealt with in a rude manner. I thought that this junior official had a prejudice against farangs only, but no, as her inability to cope with many other nationalities is apparant. It's as though she has been pushed into a job that she is ill suited for and definately needs some basic customer care training (and we do pay for their services) or some career counselling. An earlier post noted that this office is a national disgrace. I agree, it is Third World standard of service for a crucial government department. It must also be a hellish place to work!

Must say my last three visits have been pleasant and things have improved this year generally. I know the girl being talked about here and most of the time she has a face like her world ended sometime last week but it seems very obvious she is out of her depth with the job she has been given and i wouldn't be surprised if she never looks forward to turning up for work; even though to us her job would appear pretty easy. In our Western world her shortcomings on the job and unhappy pose would be fairly quickly noticed by management but here the caliber of management itself is another subject entirely.

Someone will eventually be bothered enough to complain as per the sign outside and no doubt something will be done but one thing is for sure; nothing will be achieved by moaning about it on here!

What?! You must be terrible then smile.png Not my experience at all. As soon as I speak Thai to them they start treating me as one of their own. And I'm not even that skilled.

Just so happens I was there yesterday for my annual extension of visa for retirement. Went the day before at 8.30 pm (allegedly when the office opens) only to be told that the day was full, come back tomorrow. My wife asked for a ticket for the following day, (Friday) - 'we don't do that'. So, arrived at 6.50am Friday to join a queue already long. Eventually got ticket 46 from the lady in mention, who was totally harassed, gave me a ticket as well as my wife. I tried to hand it back but she just ignored me. Found out we would not be seen until after 1pm. (Everything, but everything stops at lunchtime, however busy it is). Got to the desk at 1.40 - charming lady, just 20 minutes to complete the paperwork. Then had to wait an hour for the head honcho to sign the passport and get it back.

Agree, CM Immigration is chaos - hope it gets better in the new office in Mae Rim. Yes, it's not helped by the biddy doing the initial 'triage' work = about time for one of those 'inactive' posts to be created

You would think that the immigration officers would be interested in a smooth working paper shifter / controller/ ticket lady as it would make their workload much more manageable and easier.

Maybe the mentioned lady is a niece or something like that of one of the officers. wink.png

I know that the Phuket Immigration officers are very happy with the Immigration Volunteers ( They are officially an integrated part of the Immigration system in Phuket ) as they shift out almost all of the problems before they come to the officer desk.