Counter staff at Chiang Mai Immigration

You would think that the immigration officers would be interested in a smooth working paper shifter / controller/ ticket lady as it would make their workload much more manageable and easier.

Maybe the mentioned lady is a niece or something like that of one of the officers. wink.png

I know that the Phuket Immigration officers are very happy with the Immigration Volunteers ( They are officially an integrated part of the Immigration system in Phuket ) as they shift out almost all of the problems before they come to the officer desk.

I completely agree that not all Immigration Volunteers should be tarred with the same brush at the allegedly incompetent one at Chiang Mai. I think I encountered one such Volunteer during the closing stages of my latest extension of stay application at Maptaput a few weeks ago. She was at pains to explain to me the stamps which had been placed in my passport, in English which was far better than that of her senior colleagues in my experience!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You would think that the immigration officers would be interested in a smooth working paper shifter / controller/ ticket lady as it would make their workload much more manageable and easier.

Maybe the mentioned lady is a niece or something like that of one of the officers. wink.png

I know that the Phuket Immigration officers are very happy with the Immigration Volunteers ( They are officially an integrated part of the Immigration system in Phuket ) as they shift out almost all of the problems before they come to the officer desk.

I completely agree that not all Immigration Volunteers should be tarred with the same brush at the allegedly incompetent one at Chiang Mai. I think I encountered one such Volunteer during the closing stages of my latest extension of stay application at Maptaput a few weeks ago. She was at pains to explain to me the stamps which had been placed in my passport, in English which was far better than that of her senior colleagues in my experience!

Good to hear that, The Phuket Immigration Volunteers are all farangs and they speak multiple languages which make it much more easier for the costumers.

I don't really know what your point is. They have digital scanners there and they also have computers. If you're nice to them inside of the counter, they'll even scan papers and print them off for you. The system though does not allow for scanning to file as an alternative to mountains of paperwork. At Sala Glang the system there does. Scanning bar codes is hardly too daunting a task. My point is, I don't feel the blame lies in Bangkok. It is simply the inefficient use of the resources supplied by Bangkok. Incompetence in the public sector the world over is rife and Thailand is certainly no exception.

This pretty ridiculous. The police and immigration is part of the police force..and the police force in Thailand is utterly corrupt with almost all positions filled by nepotism rather by merit. They don't need more staff. They need to use scanning and computer technology. The endless piles of paperwork can easily be replaced with digital scanning. The 90 day report could very easily be replaced with a bar code scanning tool.The passport office at Sala Glang is very efficient. All it would take is some consulting with their system management and half of the staff at immigration could go...but to where?... it is a job for life after all.......

Or maybe I am just missing an ironic comment here.

Somebody wants to talk about Chiang Mai Immigration. There is a picture of the officer in charge outside one of the buildings there that

says you should call if you experience any inconvienence. Did you try that? wink.png

If you ever get a chance to use any office other than Chiang Mai you might find some differences. After we moved from Chiang Mai we found that we no longer needed copies of everything for things like 90 day check-ins. The new immigration office just gave them back at us and said we don't need these.

If you like queing up hours before the immigration office opens (or getting there hours early to sign a list to get to take a number... and make sure you get two numbers if you are a couple because you will need to come back the next day because 1 number one service...policy.) Chiang Mai is the place.

Surely the worst immigration office in Thailand, a real disgrace.

In the end it is not there fault Bangkok refuses to send them more staff or to improve the conditions of buildings there, blame the head guys but the people at Chiang Mai immigration are doing the best they can with what they have.

Scanning and computer technology?........they can't even keep the ticket machine in the corner working!

And what about all of us with barcodes, that's technology isn't it, but it isn't being used and no-one knows what to do with it, so why go further along the technology line?

No-one knows for sure what Bangkok does or does not do.

I still remember that the label printers where installed at all immigration desk at Suvarnabhumi airport.

But because of some reasons ( fill in your reason ) those printers where never used.

Same at Phuket Immigration, they have several computers at officer desk but one is used to create flyers and the other one to listen to music.

The marriage extension is typed on a old fashion type writer.

They only use some of the computers to update the immigration records.

Yes I have. Her customer service style is morose on a good day, and it's that crappy attitude from the first point of contact in CM immigration which is why the service there is so bad. Their queuing system is about the worst I've experience in Thailand.
To the OP: What they usually do is go to the ticket machine in the back right corner, turn it on, pull 15 or 20 tickets from the machine corresponding with the 90 reporting queue, take them to the middle front counter, and pass them out. Now, why the heck they don't just leave the ticket machine on and program it to only dispense tickets for 90 day reporting is beyond me. But they don't.
Suggestion, if you not assisted by the front counter, just move to the front of the 90 day reporting line and tell them that the queue is broken and you instructed to come to their line. Put you paperwork on the counter and wait. They will eventually take care of you.

Yes, it sucks.

• Like 1

More good reasons to use a reliable visa service, I'm a convert.

Any recommendations on dependable services here in CM. I'm about to the point where I'm willing to pay someone else to keep myself from going through the frustration every 90 days.

Why not try speaking nicely to and about her----------Using the Thai language of course !xsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.4tUibSscbZ.webp

I agree. I have found that they can all be somewhat grumpy. Can you blame them? They deal with us all day! But as soon as I smile and speak some Thai their demeanor changes immediately! They suddenly get very friendly and helpful.

I'm sorry. I've worked in the service industry both retail and first-tier computer support (Help Desk). Yes, you do get grumpy, frustrated customers. No, that does not give you the excuse to become grumpy and unresponsive to your own customers. You're paid to handle the 'difficult customers' with respect, and if you can, calm the customer down and get them to work with you.

I doubt that Miss Happiness at the front counter of CM Immigration has the skill sets to actually perform her job. She is sullen and unresponsive most of the time, and lacks communication and people skills. That is not the fault of customers. That's a lack of training, personal discipline, and actual ability to perform customer service oriented work. Her interaction with customers is a direct reflection on the Manager and his ability to efficiently manage the organization with the staff he has.

• Like 1

The CM Immigration Office goes a pretty good job, considering the facilities and resources they have to work with. Sorry the OP had a problem getting a number, but the personal nature of his/her (?) remarks, directed at one individual, seem a bit overly hostile. In the four years I have been reporting to the office, I have found that the system is slowly improving.

When I go there, four time a year, I try to imagine that I am on the set of a live "sitcom", as I watch this parade of anxious farangs milling about, seeking attention and service. As has been pointed out before, if you're just wanting to do your routine 90 day report, and/or getting a re-entry permit, show up after 1:30 and you'll probably be in and out in an hour or so. There's no point showing up before 7:00 AM, standing in a queue in the muggy parking lot, shifting from foot to foot, if you don't have to.

I was there two days ago for my annual renewal (retirement). Was handed number 43, from the hand of the young person who got slammed in the OP. Got number 227, to come back after 1:30. Got served and processed at 2:00, was out by 2:30.

I have noticed that agents of the visa services, coming in carrying a big stack of passports, get served right away. I'm going to sign on with one of those outfits. The cost is quite reasonable. I will miss seeing the people parade, though.

That's funny because over the last 5 years I've noticed the service slowly deteriorating.

However, on a positive note, that staff that actually work one-on-one with customers on visas (those at desks behind the counter) actually are very professional. The primary problem is the lack of reliable first-tier, customer service at the front counter and the pathetic queuing system. Once you get behind the counter, you deal with professional staff with decent customer service skills. The problem is getting behind the counter.

Edited by connda
  • Like 2

Yes I have. Her customer service style is morose on a good day, and it's that crappy attitude from the first point of contact in CM immigration which is why the service there is so bad. Their queuing system is about the worst I've experience in Thailand.

To the OP: What they usually do is go to the ticket machine in the back right corner, turn it on, pull 15 or 20 tickets from the machine corresponding with the 90 reporting queue, take them to the middle front counter, and pass them out. Now, why the heck they don't just leave the ticket machine on and program it to only dispense tickets for 90 day reporting is beyond me. But they don't.

Suggestion, if you not assisted by the front counter, just move to the front of the 90 day reporting line and tell them that the queue is broken and you instructed to come to their line. Put you paperwork on the counter and wait. They will eventually take care of you.

Yes, it sucks.

Thanks for the advice. I will remember that.

I am not terrible. I can read and write Thai having learned it in University in Chiang Mai and schools in Bangkok. I have been speaking Thai for 13 years. I wish I didn't know a word in Thai to be honest. If I Thai knows 5 words in English then they prefer to talk in English. Try speaking to a Thai air hostess in Thai and they hate it. Unless your vocabulary is limited to say "Kop Khun Krup".

Why not try speaking nicely to and about her----------Using the Thai language of course !smile.png

Thai langauge won't impress anyone at immigration. I speak it pretty well and every time I speak in Thai to them, they answer back in English. That is standard experience though with most Thais. Speak a few words and they love it. Any more and you know a bit too much. I have a friend who has a masters degree in Thai. Sometimes it takes him three sentences before they answer back in Thai.

What?! You must be terrible then smile.png Not my experience at all. As soon as I speak Thai to them they start treating me as one of their own. And I'm not even that skilled.

Your experiance with Thai air hosteses is not like mine. Once I have spoken thai to one of them all the others on the flight speak thai with me and are rather friendly and try to give good service despite the workload. Immigration also treats me well when I speak thai. When I did live in CM the staff were always pleasant but overworked.

Somebody wants to talk about Chiang Mai Immigration. There is a picture of the officer in charge outside one of the buildings there that

says you should call if you experience any inconvienence. Did you try that? wink.png

If you ever get a chance to use any office other than Chiang Mai you might find some differences. After we moved from Chiang Mai we found that we no longer needed copies of everything for things like 90 day check-ins. The new immigration office just gave them back at us and said we don't need these.

If you like queing up hours before the immigration office opens (or getting there hours early to sign a list to get to take a number... and make sure you get two numbers if you are a couple because you will need to come back the next day because 1 number one service...policy.) Chiang Mai is the place.

True different immigration offices have different procedures, but I will argue all day with you that Chiang Mai is NOT the worst office in Thailand. I spent 6 yrs in Samut Sakohn and I guarantee that immigration office is far far worse than even Bangkok's immigration office, which for the record is jammed pack with people, but organized and efficient. In Samut Sakohn we are literally treated as if the officers are the Gods and we are the Dogs. On any given visit they can and usually do, change what they want, adding more to the list. It seems to be their power thrill to send farang back out to get a copy of anything they think up at the moment. 90 day reporting, count on 30-60 minute wait. Marriage Visa? You are there for the day, pack a lunch, and you will make at least one trip down the road for something else they want. Retirement visa, 4 hours, sometimes less. The last year I was there, a shift was made and new people appeared, some things got better, or more tolerable. I.ve been in Chiang Mai since January, and both the wife and I are thrilled to report to this immigration. It is far superior, although crowded, and small, than the previous provinces mentioned.

Just so happens I was there yesterday for my annual extension of visa for retirement. Went the day before at 8.30 pm (allegedly when the office opens) only to be told that the day was full, come back tomorrow. My wife asked for a ticket for the following day, (Friday) - 'we don't do that'. So, arrived at 6.50am Friday to join a queue already long. Eventually got ticket 46 from the lady in mention, who was totally harassed, gave me a ticket as well as my wife. I tried to hand it back but she just ignored me. Found out we would not be seen until after 1pm. (Everything, but everything stops at lunchtime, however busy it is). Got to the desk at 1.40 - charming lady, just 20 minutes to complete the paperwork. Then had to wait an hour for the head honcho to sign the passport and get it back.

Agree, CM Immigration is chaos - hope it gets better in the new office in Mae Rim. Yes, it's not helped by the biddy doing the initial 'triage' work = about time for one of those 'inactive' posts to be created

Agree only that it is hectic in there, but chaos?? One might think so if Chiang Mai immigration is the only immigration office one has dealt with. You want to know chaos, mayhem, officers with a superiority complex? Try other provinces in N.E. and Central Thailand. Six months in Central Th. then moving to Chiang Mai, my wife and I feel like dancing in and out of the immigration office. Its all a matter of perspective, and perspective is created when you do or don't have other places to compare to.

Yes, it sucks.

Thanks for the advice. I will remember that.

You're welcome. Best of luck.

I am sure the poor girl is trying her best to be helpful.

But I can also imagine how she is treated by some "Farangs"

The day I was there recently, the rudest people were Japanese, Korean and Chinese. Oh yes, especially the Chinese. They make us Americans look polite!
Maybe you envy the Chinese that are rude. Many Chinese, Japanese, Korean people are not.

As an American....I am ALWAYS well-mannered & polite!

In the end it is not there fault Bangkok refuses to send them more staff or to improve the conditions of buildings there, blame the head guys but the people at Chiang Mai immigration are doing the best they can with what they have.

You are 100% correct in your statement regarding the honorable staff at CM.

They have an almost impossible situation servicing hundreds of people each day.

• 1 month later...

An update to this thread;

Sept 29, I went in for my 90 day reporting. I was in there for 30 minutes, after receiving my queive from the before mentioned short haired, round face employee. She showed me some respect, nodded her head when I thanked her. I stood against the wall and watched her interact with other farang. She was respectful, listened and responded well, and even smiled a few times.

When this thread was started, I copied it and gave the pages to a very UP the ladder officer with Immigration, who said they would look into it. My wife and I feel rather priviledged to become acquainted with this officer, and it seems something was done as well as just looked into.

As they say, ''its not what you know, its who you know''

Why not try speaking nicely to and about her----------Using the Thai language of course !smile.png

Your reply reflects NOTHING to do with her competency.

This University student is totally mute to any coordinated effort to give out CORRECT numbers.

This topic has been posted mak mak and she continues to perform her position in a negative manner.