Ed Visa Benefits?

(UK Native, 49 years)

Hi all!

I am coming back to BKK on an ED Visa, all done, dusted, flight and initial hotel booked, great.

However, I was reading about certain benefits with the ED visa - such as being able to enter certain attractions such as National Parks for example - on a Thai price?

In other words, for (e.g) 40 THB for a Thai, and 400 THB for a farang....but with Student ID from my Thai Language School...treated the same as a Thai? w00t.gif

I say to myself;

Jing Jing ror??? wai2.gif

Although having lived in Thailand previously for a good few years - this ALWAYS P****D me off severely...as I am sure it does a great many others.

Anyway - to the root. Can anyone shed some light on this? Would be great to be able to know for sure!

Khao yai - 40 thb

Wat Po - 10 thb! facepalm.gif no way Somchai Ballsak!

Well I have never seen a student I.D. card for a language school. A drivers licence has been used by many posters here to get discounts, but I think it is really up to who is taking the money as to how much you are going to pay. I would just tell them Muang Thai, or have a Thai get the tickets.

You can open a bank account with the Ed. visa in your passport.

You may find a suitable apartment for less than a hotel for a longer term stay and people living there that you can practice the Thai you learn outside of the school with.

Edited by Colabamumbai

Depends on the park, who's working the gate, and what kind of mood they're in that day. There doesn't seem to be a firm policy one way or the other, but showing a long term visa or driver's license seems to help. I carry around a little laminated copy of my work permit and tax card, I've usually been able to get into Sai Yok National Park and a few others at the Thai price. Some other places, though, Wat Pra Kaew, for example, will have none of it.

As far as other benefits, you can open a bank account, get a driver's license, and register a vehicle in your own name (some will say you can do some or all of these on a tourist visa, but with an ED visa it will be a lot easier).

Depends on the park, who's working the gate, and what kind of mood they're in that day. There doesn't seem to be a firm policy one way or the other, but showing a long term visa or driver's license seems to help. I carry around a little laminated copy of my work permit and tax card, I've usually been able to get into Sai Yok National Park and a few others at the Thai price. Some other places, though, Wat Pra Kaew, for example, will have none of it.

As far as other benefits, you can open a bank account, get a driver's license, and register a vehicle in your own name (some will say you can do some or all of these on a tourist visa, but with an ED visa it will be a lot easier).

They wanted to see my Work Permit to put a bike in my name from delearship, The drivers licence they wanted to see a Work Permit, the car purchase I do not think they asked for it when putting the car in my name, second hand, private sale.

I fail to understand as to why you would want a reduced charge for entering National parks, etc. It is not as though you will entering such places on a regular daily/weekly/monthly basis. Possibly a one off or will this visiting certain attractions be a regular occurrence?

As the poster above mentioned, yes, you can open a Thai bank account.

I too have an ED visa and learning to speak the Thai language is fun.

Sanook.

I fail to understand as to why you would want a reduced charge for entering National parks, etc. It is not as though you will entering such places on a regular daily/weekly/monthly basis. Possibly a one off or will this visiting certain attractions be a regular occurrence?

Sanook.

I fail to understand why you would NOT want a reduced price?

Whether it be a one off, or a regular occurrence? Are you saying you would be happy to pay 'over the odds' for something - when all around you, people are paying 400% less? Am sure I wouldn't be!

Years ago, I managed to enter Khao Yai on a Thai price, simply because I was working at the Bangkok campus of a nearby International school, and yes, to be honest, I was a bit chuffed, and why not?

In UK terms, I would rather pay a quid than a tenner, no matter what I was doing! Makes economic sense doesn't it?

Anyway! Regardless - great to hear a licence and bank account wont be too much of a problem - and I really appreciate all the help, comments and advice everyone!

Sanook.

Probably something to do with believing everyone is equal and as stated peeves him off paying 10 times as much. Apart from school trips, most Thais that visit national parks arrive there in their THB 7,000,000 Mercedes.