Applying for a Schengen visa for Ireland- already got long term UK visa.

My other half is already in possession of a 10-year UK visitor visa.

On her next trip, I was planning on going to Ireland and Europe.

I know we can basically just walk into Ireland from Northern Ireland, but can we obtain a visa through the Irish Embassy that allows free travel through Europe?

That would be the simplest method, if it's allowed.

All other routes to Schengen, we have been in the past, have involved buying tickets and accommodation upfront before applying for the visa.

I was thinking, with the Irish visa, we could cut the need for air tickets etc and make life easy.

Our last Schengen visa was a long time ago and for sure, rules change. So, I would appreciate any updated advice in case I have missed anything.

The idea would be to visit the Irish Republic and Spain, for a couple of weeks in total.

Posted (edited)

I do not believe this will work, as your other half holds a visit visa, she is not resident in the UK, she can travel to Ireland as it is in the CTA, no issues, just passport showing her UK visa, the rest of Europe requires a schengen visa it can only be done from a country where she has residence,

edited i have taken out the bit about Irish embassy as the info was wrong

Edited by howerde
  • Thanks 1

Ireland can't issue a Schengen visa, as it's not in Schengen.

Strictly speaking there is no such thing as a "Schengen visa" as such - there is a visa to a specific country which, if in Schengen, permits travel throughout the Schengen zone. You need to apply to the consulate of the Schengen country you intend to visit first of spend most time in.

Try the Spanish embassy/consulate in Bangkok.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, oldscool said:

Ireland can't issue a Schengen visa, as it's not in Schengen.

Strictly speaking there is no such thing as a "Schengen visa" as such - there is a visa to a specific country which, if in Schengen, permits travel throughout the Schengen zone. You need to apply to the consulate of the Schengen country you intend to visit first of spend most time in.

Try the Spanish embassy/consulate in Bangkok.

yes correct no point asking Irish embassy, needs to be the first country you plan to enter or the one where you are going to spend the most time

• Thanks 1

Cheers Guys,

That's cleared that up.

I know the way of applying for the EU Schengen area, we have done it before when we visited The Netherlands and Spain.

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)

I think I saw that Eire (southern Ireland) allowed people with a UK visa in BUT I looked at this some time ago so please double check on the government web site

Edited by Negita43

Slightly off topic but are people aware of the "Cascade System" for Schengen?

- The rules are slightly complicated but if you have had previous Schengen visas within a certain time scale you can ask for a longer validity than 1 year Visa

For example we have just got a 2 year validity Visa (Austria)  for my Thai partner (still 90 day max in 12 months) because she had a 1 year validity visa (Spain) less that two years ago.

3 hours ago, Negita43 said:

Slightly off topic but are people aware of the "Cascade System" for Schengen?

- The rules are slightly complicated but if you have had previous Schengen visas within a certain time scale you can ask for a longer validity than 1 year Visa

For example we have just got a 2 year validity Visa (Austria)  for my Thai partner (still 90 day max in 12 months) because she had a 1 year validity visa (Spain) less that two years ago.

My wife has had a number of Schengen Visas and applied for a visa for a four night trip to The Netherlands.

In her covering letter she requested another longer term visa, her last one had a two year validity, and they issued her with a visa with a five year validity.

5 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

I know we can basically just walk into Ireland from Northern Ireland

You have to (are supposed to) report to the nearest police station after crossing I believe

11 hours ago, Negita43 said:

You have to (are supposed to) report to the nearest police station after crossing I believe

I wonder how many bother doing that.

17 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

My other half is already in possession of a 10-year UK visitor visa.

On her next trip, I was planning on going to Ireland and Europe.

I know we can basically just walk into Ireland from Northern Ireland, but can we obtain a visa through the Irish Embassy that allows free travel through Europe?

That would be the simplest method, if it's allowed.

All other routes to Schengen, we have been in the past, have involved buying tickets and accommodation upfront before applying for the visa.

I was thinking, with the Irish visa, we could cut the need for air tickets etc and make life easy.

Our last Schengen visa was a long time ago and for sure, rules change. So, I would appreciate any updated advice in case I have missed anything.

The idea would be to visit the Irish Republic and Spain, for a couple of weeks in total.

Off topic slightly, but did your wife obtain, 2 year and 5 year visitor visa first, or go straight from 6 months to 10 year?, is it a gradual process?

PST

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, PST said:

Off topic slightly, but did your wife obtain, 2 year and 5 year visitor visa first, or go straight from 6 months to 10 year?, is it a gradual process?

PST

Had a couple of 2 year visas first.

And proof of a very long relationship plus assets and money in bank.

1 hour ago, Scouse123 said:

Had a couple of 2 year visas first.

And proof of a very long relationship plus assets and money in bank.

Thanks, we have been married for 10 years, been to the uk 5 times but never longer than 4 weeks, but circumstances are changing.  Do you need more money in the bank for a two year visa than a 6 month?, how do you 'prove' you are able to sponsor long term?

PST

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, PST said:

Thanks, we have been married for 10 years, been to the uk 5 times but never longer than 4 weeks, but circumstances are changing.  Do you need more money in the bank for a two year visa than a 6 month?, how do you 'prove' you are able to sponsor long term?

PST

Ah,

I see what you mean. Have you had a 2-year visa before?

If not, that would be the first step instead of jumping for a 10 year, which can raise red flags.

I told them in the letter we had been together 25 plus, our bank accounts have been linked for a long time etc, plus we had travelled extensively to Europe, North America, and Asia.

We had six months visa on a number of occasions, then 2 x 2 year visas and then, I told them straight, I didn't want at my time of life, to be up and down begging for visas, with my age being a factor (62 now) and also that of my siblings, (who are older than me), in the UK. If something were to happen, we want to be on a plane, not begging for visas.

That's how we did it, and it came back 10 year with no issues.

We do have a long track record and likewise, we have never been in the UK longer than 4 weeks on any given trip.

We proved long term sponsorship by having a decent amount in the bank in joint names.

But, I am sure having a decent job would satisfy them, plus you have 10 years of marriage.

I think the only thing they are on the lookout for is those going for six months, returning for a week to Thailand and then another five months.

In effect, living in the UK on a tourist visa, which is not what they are for.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Ah,

I see what you mean. Have you had a 2-year visa before?

If not, that would be the first step instead of jumping for a 10 year, which can raise red flags.

I told them in the letter we had been together 25 plus, our bank accounts have been linked for a long time etc, plus we had travelled extensively to Europe, North America, and Asia.

We had six months visa on a number of occasions, then 2 x 2 year visas and then, I told them straight, I didn't want at my time of life, to be up and down begging for visas, with my age being a factor (62 now) and also that of my siblings, (who are older than me), in the UK. If something were to happen, we want to be on a plane, not begging for visas.

That's how we did it, and it came back 10 year with no issues.

We do have a long track record and likewise, we have never been in the UK longer than 4 weeks on any given trip.

We proved long term sponsorship by having a decent amount in the bank in joint names.

But, I am sure having a decent job would satisfy them, plus you have 10 years of marriage.

I think the only thing they are on the lookout for is those going for six months, returning for a week to Thailand and then another five months.

In effect, living in the UK on a tourist visa, which is not what they are for.

That's great, much appreciated. No, we haven't had a two year visa before.

I presume it's better to go for two year before five year initially?, she had had six, 6 month visitor visas.

PST.

Edited by PST
spelling
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, PST said:

I presume it's better to go for two year before five year initially?, she had had six, 6 month visitor visas.

PST.

22 minutes ago, PST said:

PST.

We went for the 2-year then straight for the ten year, we didn't bother with the five year.

I suppose you could try the five year, we just wanted easy, and it seemed a bit of a jump from 6 months to five years.

After we had done two X two years and considering my age, I didn't bloody care to be honest and after that Covid malarkey, I'd had enough, and just went for the 10 year.

Not much change out of 1,000 quid if I recall.😆

• Like 1

If ur partner has a British visa then there is no need for an Irish visa. The Uk visa is also valid for Ireland. I’m Irish n have had Thais with British visas come visit me in Dublin…no questions asked at the airport by Irish Immigration 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mbolo said:

If ur partner has a British visa then there is no need for an Irish visa. The Uk visa is also valid for Ireland. I’m Irish n have had Thais with British visas come visit me in Dublin…no questions asked at the airport by Irish Immigration 

Not always been the case, a fairly recent concession and not sure if it was granted permanently.

A friend of mine was visiting his family in NI and took his Thai wife with UK visa across the border. They encountered a checkpoint on exit and she was banned from ever entering Ireland again.

Not a big deal, she couldn't stand the UK and went back to Thailand.

Yes,

The visa waiver programme for Ireland is continuing for the eligible countries until 2026.

Thai nationals on holiday/short stay 180 days UK visas qualify for the waiver, and are on the list.

There are a few rules, visa must be valid, it mustn't take you over the 180 days of your UK stay etc, all simple stuff for the genuine tourist.

https://www.irishimmigration.ie/coming-to-visit-ireland/short-stay-visa-waiver-programme/