First US congresswoman of Thai descent vows to foster ties

webfact

"Duckworth won a Purple Heart after she lost both her legs when the Black Hawk helicopter she was piloting got hit by an RPG in 2004 in Iraq."

I'm an American vet and she has my respect even more now. America (USA) needs as many friends as we can get. I'm gonna show this article to some of my Thai friends so they will more understand that a Thai person can also be an American.

Googled her and she seems like a decent person. Dedicated quite a bit of her time to vet affairs as well. Yep I like the lady and I'm an Aussie.

• Like 1

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

American veterans don't latch onto their former military rank as titles for the rest of their lives.

not to digress too much, but why are CNN addressing retired Generals who are being interviewed about Syria as "General So and So" then ?

just an obervation...

Duckworth, who was promoted to the rank of lieutenant colonel during the 2012 primary. Would I be wrong to assume that she is still serving in the Reserves or is it the National Guard in the U.S. Can a Congressperson serve in the National Guard? If so then she still holds her rank? I'm an Aussie so don't know much about this in the U.S.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/campaign-2012/candidates/ladda-tammy-duckworth-51631/

Don't you have to be born in the U.S to be an American Politician. I know in Australia anyone from anywhere in the world can immigrate to Australia and be Prime Minister.

Good on her and I think there is something in this for Thailand. Foreigners/Farangs can actually contribute to their new countries and help them grow and prosper. Unfortunately Thailand still sees the rest of the world as uneducated fools and Farangs will never be allowed to have the opportunities in Thailand that Thai's are allowed in the west.

There are a number of well Educated farangs that could play a very productive role in Thai politics if they were allowed.

No. You have to be born a U.S. citizen to be president. Congressperson, you can be a Martian. There is currently a presidential contender born in Canada but of American parents, and he is still qualified but if there is any goodness left in the world, he will never win ... w00t.gif

Jingthing is exactly correct. You have to be born a US citizen to be president. But you don't have to be born in the US. John McCain, who ran for president a few years ago, was born in Panama.

Congress is wide open. However, the Martian members of Congress are still in denial.

Edited by marell
  • Like 1

American veterans don't latch onto their former military rank as titles for the rest of their lives.

not to digress too much, but why are CNN addressing retired Generals who are being interviewed about Syria as "General So and So" then ?

just an obervation...

Duckworth, who was promoted to the rank of lieutenant colonel during the 2012 primary. Would I be wrong to assume that she is still serving in the Reserves or is it the National Guard in the U.S. Can a Congressperson serve in the National Guard? If so then she still holds her rank? I'm an Aussie so don't know much about this in the U.S.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/campaign-2012/candidates/ladda-tammy-duckworth-51631/

Well, we'd be fortunate to have more like her. Its been generations since we had people who think about what they give more than what they get.

Could teach the brain dead PM a lot; though the PM has a different agenda.

Edited by gemini81

Tickled by the National News Bureau of Thailand's headline and write-up on the topic.

US MP for Chicago meets PM Yingluck

BANGKOK, 30th August 2013 (NNT) - Lieutenant Colonel Ladda Tammy Duckworth, US member of parliament for Chicago paid a visit to Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra at the Parliament house.

http://61.19.244.31/centerweb/newsen/NewsDetail?NT01_NewsID=WNFOR5608300010001

Note To NNT:

USA doesn't have MP's.

Congresswoman Duckworth's 8th district is suburbia, not Chicago.

Not to be picky, but the congresswoman is a serving LTC in the National Guard.

• Like 1

Don't you have to be born in the U.S to be an American Politician. I know in Australia anyone from anywhere in the world can immigrate to Australia and be Prime Minister.

Good on her and I think there is something in this for Thailand. Foreigners/Farangs can actually contribute to their new countries and help them grow and prosper. Unfortunately Thailand still sees the rest of the world as uneducated fools and Farangs will never be allowed to have the opportunities in Thailand that Thai's are allowed in the west.

There are a number of well Educated farangs that could play a very productive role in Thai politics if they were allowed.

No. You have to be born a U.S. citizen to be president. Congressperson, you can be a Martian. There is currently a presidential contender born in Canada but of American parents, and he is still qualified but if there is any goodness left in the world, he will never win ... w00t.gif

Jingthing is exactly correct. You have to be born a US citizen to be president. But you don't have to be born in the US. John McCain, who ran for president a few years ago, was born in Panama.

Congress is wide open. However, the Martian members of Congress are still in denial.

Might be time they changed this requirement for president.

Amazing, positive comments for someone who was actively fighting in an illegal war. Someone who criticizes Manning for doing the right thing, and asks Snowden to stay in US soil and fight (so you can jail him too). Simply amazing.

Has any court declared the war against Saddam Hussein's dictatorship illegal? Did a court of law convict Manning?

Oh, of course, you presume to know better than the courts, if they don't agree with your personal view. You should fit in well with a certain section of the community.

Wonder if you have the bottle, drive, tenacity, integrity and fortitude of this remarkable lady?

I hate these double-barreled nationalities. If you're American, be American. If you come from another country, be American of 'whatever' descent. This is just fodder for the PC crowd.

The woman's loyalties cannot be disputed. She gave 2 legs in the service of the USA.

She's done far more for the USA, then the likes of Michelle Bachman or that Sarah Palin idiot.

The Congresswoman has always described herself as an American first and foremost. The fact that she is stressing her Thai heritage is simply an effort to ingratiate herself with the Thais and to facilitate her work on behalf of the USA. I sincerely doubt that she would want to come back to Thailand, a country that is one of the worst places to be if one is physically disabled.

Or an honest politician.

• Like 1

Might be time they changed this requirement for president.

that counts me out for being President. Became an American at age 12, but was born in Denmark. Arnie "I'll be back" Swarzenegger - similarly can't become a US president.

I hate these double-barreled nationalities. If you're American, be American. If you come from another country, be American of 'whatever' descent. This is just fodder for the PC crowd.

The woman's loyalties cannot be disputed. She gave 2 legs in the service of the USA.

She's done far more for the USA, then the likes of Michelle Bachman or that Sarah Palin idiot.

The Congresswoman has always described herself as an American first and foremost. The fact that she is stressing her Thai heritage is simply an effort to ingratiate herself with the Thais and to facilitate her work on behalf of the USA. I sincerely doubt that she would want to come back to Thailand, a country that is one of the worst places to be if one is physically disabled.

Or an honest politician.

I cant "double like" it. so have to quote thumbsup.gif

""If you think the government is not right, then stay and fight it Have the courage of your conviction and stand up for that," she said, "

Just remind us all why she and her family left Thailand when she was 8 and emigrated to the US??

Why are the Thai media so afraid to show that this woman is disabled?

attachicon.gifyingluck disabled.jpg U.S. congresswoman and Iraq War veteran Tammy Duckworth

It come down to political correctness, some in society would be screaming from the heavens saying you are highlighting her disability. The worlds gone mad and become to sensitive.

Personally I admire the woman and think she is very courageous and I tend to look at the person and not the disability.

There already are very close ties between US and Thailand. Thailand is run by Thaksin Shinawatra, and he works for globalist oligarchs at the US-based T-ne21 and their servants ; Cia Dhs Nsa etc. So the ties are already 100%, the problem is it is not the kind of ties that people asked for or would ever say 'yes' to if they were asked.

Any congresswork on behalf of Thai relations, at this point, is meaningless, as Thailand would have to overthrow the Shinawatra crime syndicate before progress could be made, and halt T-ne21 activities. More work at this point would only worsen the situation, it would be like building a second storey on a house where the foundations are cracked all the way through.

So we have a member of the US Congress declaring that "Thailand is our country" to the Thai PM. Well, at least the Thai government will have a reliable source of information and support from the halls of Congress.

Wouldn't surprise me if, after she makes her fortune in Washington, she leaves the US to retire in her home country.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2

There already are very close ties between US and Thailand. Thailand is run by Thaksin Shinawatra, and he works for globalist oligarchs at the US-based T-ne21 and their servants ; Cia Dhs Nsa etc. So the ties are already 100%, the problem is it is not the kind of ties that people asked for or would ever say 'yes' to if they were asked.

Any congresswork on behalf of Thai relations, at this point, is meaningless, as Thailand would have to overthrow the Shinawatra crime syndicate before progress could be made, and halt T-ne21 activities. More work at this point would only worsen the situation, it would be like building a second storey on a house where the foundations are cracked all the way through.

are you suggesting that the thai military acted alone when they kicked him out?

Tickled by the National News Bureau of Thailand's headline and write-up on the topic.

US MP for Chicago meets PM Yingluck

BANGKOK, 30th August 2013 (NNT) - Lieutenant Colonel Ladda Tammy Duckworth, US member of parliament for Chicago paid a visit to Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra at the Parliament house.

http://61.19.244.31/centerweb/newsen/NewsDetail?NT01_NewsID=WNFOR5608300010001

Note To NNT:

USA doesn't have MP's.

Congresswoman Duckworth's 8th district is suburbia, not Chicago.

Not to be picky, but the congresswoman is a serving LTC in the National Guard.

Indeed she is, but my comment remains as is.

Congresswoman Duckworth most likely never uses Lieutenant-Colonel moniker herself outside of National Guard meetings and the American media never includes it in articles about her, unlike, say the use of Lieutenant-Colonel when the Thai media discusses the man in Dubai or Police Captain when describing Chalerm.

What an odd concept this story has. Let's say a woman from Poland moves to America, has an American husband,

and then has a daughter. The daughter is an American through and through, and only holds an American passport.

So she grows up, gains political power, and then suddenly makes it her life's mission to increase ties between Poland

and America ?? People would be laughing themselves silly over that........

What an odd concept this story has. Let's say a woman from Poland moves to America, has an American husband,

and then has a daughter. The daughter is an American through and through, and only holds an American passport.

So she grows up, gains political power, and then suddenly makes it her life's mission to increase ties between Poland

I never saw where this was her, Duckworth's, life's mission. And it is quite common for second generation immigrants who become politicians to work towards fostering improved relationships between the US and their parent's home country. I would go so far as to assert, admittedly without any data, that is the norm. And I doubt anyone has ever laughed silly over say, Gary Locke, as just one example.

I never saw where this was her, Duckworth's, life's mission. And it is quite common for second generation immigrants who become politicians to work towards fostering improved relationships between the US and their parent's home country. I would go so far as to assert, admittedly without any data, that is the norm. And I doubt anyone has ever laughed silly over say, Gary Locke, as just one example.

Obama and Indonesia

Edited by waza