AIS scam or what?

PCA

I have charged my phone yesterday with 100 baht (1-2-call prepaid). Have made no calls and sent messages.

Today in the morning there pops a message saying your balance is running low, please recharge your account.

Balance showing 12 baht now compared to 111 from yesterday and without making any use of the phone.

Did that happen to anybody else and what to do in this case. Going to AIS and letting them trace history? Is that possible to do?

Thank you

What phone, data on?

It's a simple Samsung phone, no cam no internet not any special features. Just making calls and sending messages that's all it can.

Bought it new a month ago for 690 baht.

No data on except a few contact numbers.

If it was a data leak you would have lost your 111 baht balance in ~ 90 minutes.

Did you receive any unusual SMSes?

When did you buy the SIM? Can you share any details on the SIM? Promotional name?

My best guesses are either

1.) you've accidentlaly registered for some SMS delivery service: Picture of the Day, Facebook notification, Horoscope, Lucky Lottery, etc.

or

2.) Your SIM is some sort of promotional SIM which has a bundled service, like 99 baht, which got deducted as soon as you added value.

If you can't figure it out maybe best to ring 1175, or stop by a full service AIS shop to ask what me happening. I doubt it's a scam, but everyone has a different definition of that word.

If it was a data leak you would have lost your 111 baht balance in ~ 90 minutes.

Did you receive any unusual SMSes?

When did you buy the SIM? Can you share any details on the SIM? Promotional name?

My best guesses are either

1.) you've accidentlaly registered for some SMS delivery service: Picture of the Day, Facebook notification, Horoscope, Lucky Lottery, etc.

or

2.) Your SIM is some sort of promotional SIM which has a bundled service, like 99 baht, which got deducted as soon as you added value.

If you can't figure it out maybe best to ring 1175, or stop by a full service AIS shop to ask what me happening. I doubt it's a scam, but everyone has a different definition of that word.

thanks for your reply.

I am going to find out tomorrow, want that they trace everything back on the sim card. Since I did neither by intention nor accidentally subscribe to any sort of their promotional BS they'll have to declare whole history.

And yes it's a scam - what needs to be clarified is whether it was initiated from the vendor or the provider. Ridiculous regardless.

PCA

I lost a few thousand with the same issue, and finding out why was a long process.

I found out that there is a closely guarded "secret" number to switch on and off your connection to the internet, which I never was aware of or wanted.

I spent a long time on many occasions at AIS Central World, to no avail,while the staff said they would have to check my calls record etc,

I told them that I never used the phone at all after topping up..many times

Eventually the very surly staff a Nokia told me, but it was like pulling teeth.

It is ON by default (a Nokia cellphone). From memory *129*2# on ? and *129*1# off ?

You then get a message sometimes in thai to switch the phone on and off again.

I only use that phone now for talk/sms

Bought another with a very cheap package that allows constant 'net connection, but seems I have to personally buy each time

no top up ?

Oh! for the days of my quill pen and inkpot and tuppeny stamp,

It is ON by default (a Nokia cellphone). From memory *129*2# on ? and *129*1# off ?

For AIS/One-2-Call, with any make/model phone the mobile data toggle codes are:

*129# for checking status
*129#1 turns it on
*129#2 turns it off
That said, I do not believe the OP has a data leak issue because he has led us to believe that his phone is not capable of supporting GSM data. And he would have lost the entire balance in ~ 100 minutes.
But these are merely guesses, and if the OP can share any information about the exact model, and any previously asked questions about the SIM, we might be able to further assist him.

Phone Customer Serrvice on 1175 then option 2 (I think) for English - they are very good and very helpful.

If your phone is only a month old you'll be on a "package" - they put everyone on a promotional package now!

Even if you're pay as you go they take the package fee each month e.g. 99B for x free minutes and y free MB.

If you don't want it ring them, tell them and they'll put you on a tarriff which is pay per call - I think 1B per minute or similar.

If you use your phone a lot or data the packages are very good - e.g.unlimited Data for 299B

Easy.

Alternatively, you can go to the AIS eService web page. enter your phone number, get a one time password and look at your service, package, costs etc etc

https://aiseservice.ais.co.th/eServiceWeb/

*129#1 turns it on
*129#2 turns it off

Just dialed *129# on my AIS Android phone and it popped up a USSD CODE saying "Your Internet service is currently turned off. To turn on the service, please dial *129*2# "

*129#1 turns it on
*129#2 turns it off

Just dialed *129# on my AIS Android phone and it popped up a USSD CODE saying "Your Internet service is currently turned off. To turn on the service, please dial *129*2# "

Yes, you are correct. Sorry.

Way. 2 -. dial the phone number. To close -. enabled Internet.
"Turned off" the Internet >>> press *. 129 * 1 #. dial.
"Open" the Internet >>> press *. 129 * 2 #. dial.
Close monitoring - enabled. >>>. pressing *. 129 #. dial.

http://aisclub.ais.co.th/WebboardDetail.aspx?mid=28&room=57&qid=22272