Dozens hurt as Thai airliner hits turbulence

webfact

Dozens hurt as Thai airliner hits turbulence

BANGKOK, August 30, 2013 (AFP) - More than 50 passengers and crew were injured Friday when a Thai Airways A380 superjumbo hit severe turbulence during a flight from Bangkok to Hong Kong, the carrier said.

One stewardess suffered a broken collarbone, while the other injuries were minor such as bruises, a Thai Airways official who did not want to be named told AFP.

About 500 passengers were on board the plane at the time of the incident, which happened as it was preparing to land at Hong Kong's Chek Lap Kok airport shortly after midday.

The injured -- 37 passengers and 15 crew members -- were sent to hospital for treatment, with 22 already discharged, the official said.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-08-30

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ACCIDENT
Turbulence injures 20 on THAI flight

The Nation

30213772-01_big.jpg
A file photo shows three THAI aircraft at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

BANGKOK: -- Thai Airways International's Flight TG600, bound for Hong Kong, experienced air turbulence this morning.

Initially, twenty persons including a crew member were injured. The crew suffered from a broken collar bone, said Chokchai Panyayong, THAI executive for commercial operations.

He said that the flight, operated by Airbus A380, left Suvarnabhumi Airport at 8am. Shortly before the landing at 11.50am, the flight experienced turbulence. The "Fasten Seat Belt" was turned on, but some passengers did not fasten their seat belts.

Transport Minister Chadchart Sittipunt was quoted by Thai PBS as saying that accident hurt 15 crew and 30 passengers. The injured were taken to a Hong Kong hospital, while the plane was flown back to Bangkok for damage investigation.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-08-30

I have only flown once into Chek Lap Kok and it was the most scariest landing I have ever experienced, I was seated near the rear on a 747 and on touchdown it just started to tail slap.

Yet done many uneventful landings at Kia Tak.

Hope all recover soon.

• Like 1

They were preparing to land and

people did not have their seat

belts on? I guess the same ones

who ride around on their motor

bikes with no helmet on!

Exactly, and perhaps excepting the air hostess I have only one comment "som nam naa" coffee1.gif

And whilst not known as yet severe weather conditions can be picked up on the radar. Or perhaps the guy who should have been looking was asleep.

• Like 2

It's one thing if people weren't strapped in because it was time to land.

But Asian pilots are infamous for leaving the "Fasten Seat Belt" sign on the whole trip. I've had several cross-Pacific flights lasting 12-14 hours where the pilot never turned the seat belt sign off. They still (obviously) let everyone use the heads, but face was protected for anything that happened because they could tell the press "The seatbelt sign was on".

BKK to HK seems short enough for no pit stops.

The article needs to be more specific about "shortly before landing". That could mean 20 minutes after takeoff, or 5' off the runway on final.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

Same thing on approach to Phuket 3 years or so before , one to go , never expected the ferocity of the storm , cannot be picked up in a radar in that short of time, never underestimate the power of nature , speedy recovery for those involved, and a credit to the flight crew wai.gif

This sort of airline incident while concerning certainly isn't out of the ordinary as it can(and does)happen with many of the higher profile airlines who spruik their safety records for all to see...Qantas has had a number of these incidents over the last 18 months and sure we will see more!

• Like 1

i wear my seatbelt for the full flight and make sure my family dos as well since one one flight we hit a pocket of turbulence and i found myself a good 30-40 cm airborne before my seat came back up at me. once was enough.

being airborne yourself was not anough, seat had to do the same?????????

I flew with my family BK-HK on the 28th of July , we were flying Thai ( it was crap as there was no tele on the headrests) . Due to the stormy weather we had to circle for 20 minutes or so and we had to abort one attempt at landing and pull up out of the storm . The plane was shaking due to the turbulence . It was very scarry but we eventually approached and landed from the east . There was a sigh relief all round and some passengers applauded the flight staff when the plane landed.

It's one thing if people weren't strapped in because it was time to land.

But Asian pilots are infamous for leaving the "Fasten Seat Belt" sign on the whole trip. I've had several cross-Pacific flights lasting 12-14 hours where the pilot never turned the seat belt sign off. They still (obviously) let everyone use the heads, but face was protected for anything that happened because they could tell the press "The seatbelt sign was on".

BKK to HK seems short enough for no pit stops.

The article needs to be more specific about "shortly before landing". That could mean 20 minutes after takeoff, or 5' off the runway on final.

how about the ones leaving the " no smoking " sign on all the time?

• Like 2

This is almost an impossible scenario. The instruments on modern aircraft detect turbulence, whether it be CAT or not, and the aircraft has plenty of time to avoid it.

What we should ask is what the air crew was doing that the aircraft was prevented from detecting the danger.

Flying btw singapore and bkk always gets scary at some point. There are permanent rough patches in the skies.

Never noticed that and do that route almost once a month. A reasonable quantity of wine or beer seems to smooth the flight out nicely, I guess....

• Like 1