Married to a Thai and want to move to Thailand

Hi everyone

I need some help. Here is my situation.

I am married to a Thai who is living with me in Ireland. I have a Thai step daughter with my wife and we are expecting a new child in a few months.

We really want to move to Thailand as soon as possible and basically need any and all options to be able to do this.

I am only in my early 40's so no retirement plan but I do have some savings. Is there anything we can do now to improve our chances and what if any are my options for work. Is teaching English possible for someone without a degree?

I would really appreciate any advice and please no flamming if you have no real constructive advice then please keep it to yourself.

• Like 1

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking to live in Phayao northern Thailand so Chiang Rai area or surround.

I work in retail management but I am a chef originally.

Savings are enough to build a house and get a car so basic set up money and a few pounds to get started.

Skip the car and house until you get settled in and find some work (not that easy here).

Have you considered your visa and extension of stay options. Unless you can prove 40k baht income or can put 400k baht in the bank to get an extension you will be making trips to the border every 90 days using a multiple entry non immigrant O visa.

You can teach english without a degree but you would not be able to get a teachers license that is required to get a work permit.

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 1

The requirements to get 12 month extensions of stay.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

The requirements to get 12 month extensions of stay.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

I can get 400,000 in the bank and leave it there

so that's not an issue.

Edited by irlguy1

Skip the car and house until you get settled in and find some work (not that easy here).Have you considered your visa and extension of stay options. Unless you can prove 40k baht income or can put 400k baht in the bank to get an extension you will be making trips to the border every 90 days using a multiple entry non immigrant O visa.You can teach english without a degree but you would not be able to get a teachers license that is required to get a work permit.

400k not a problem.

I don't understand what you mean about teaching, if I teach English but can't get a permit then I can't teach English ?

I suggest to come to Thailand and stay during the humid weather months, than make a decision. This is a major move for you. You wife will love it but, you must be ready for major changes.. Driving here is not fun and there are accidents daily where a foreigner like yourself is responsible. Health care is not cheap and you better have it. If you decide to rent most homes require a six month lease. Cable TV and internet service is expensive. This is a small portion of what you will face here and that is not including the job you are seeking. Corruption is here so you may need more money if you get in some trouble.

Thailand was great for me, I visited Thailand every year for 15 years, got married and decided to move here, 5 months later I moved back to the states. Two traffic accidents, a car note that the dealer will not take back, Oh, did I mention my Bacteria Infection that most Thai doctors could not correctly diagnose and finally went to Bangkok Pattaya Hospital for emergency surgery almost losing a leg.

Don't let me scare you my friend, several people survive fine in Thailand. I do go back every year in December when the weather is great to visit my Thai wife's family and than return to the states with my wife and child.

Good Luck To You Whatever You Decision may be...

• Like 2

To work in Thailand you must find an employer and then apply for a work permit. For that no degree is required. But for teaching, at most schools you will not only need a work permit but also a teaching license. For the teaching license (or temporary waiver of that) a degree is required.

On the other hand not all schools require a teaching license. basically to teach at an elementary or secondary school you must have a teaching license, but for a language school or even university for example no teaching license is required.

Teaching is however something you must like, or you will hate every day of it. Working as a chef might be a good alternative.

• Like 1

I suggest to come to Thailand and stay during the humid weather months, than make a decision. This is a major move for you. You wife will love it but, you must be ready for major changes.. Driving here is not fun and there are accidents daily where a foreigner like yourself is responsible. Health care is not cheap and you better have it. If you decide to rent most homes require a six month lease. Cable TV and internet service is expensive. This is a small portion of what you will face here and that is not including the job you are seeking. Corruption is here so you may need more money if you get in some trouble.

Thailand was great for me, I visited Thailand every year for 15 years, got married and decided to move here, 5 months later I moved back to the states. Two traffic accidents, a car note that the dealer will not take back, Oh, did I mention my Bacteria Infection that most Thai doctors could not correctly diagnose and finally went to Bangkok Pattaya Hospital for emergency surgery almost losing a leg.

Don't let me scare you my friend, several people survive fine in Thailand. I do go back every year in December when the weather is great to visit my Thai wife's family and than return to the states with my wife and child.

I love Thailand I have spent 2 weeks every 4 months there for past 7 years. I love village life and her family and friends love me :)

Been to hospital twice and I drive all the time over there so no worries on that.

Thanks for the input every little helps.

• Like 1

To work in Thailand you must find an employer and then apply for a work permit. For that no degree is required. But for teaching, at most schools you will not only need a work permit but also a teaching license. For the teaching license (or temporary waiver of that) a degree is required.

On the other hand not all schools require a teaching license. basically to teach at an elementary or secondary school you must have a teaching license, but for a language school or even university for example no teaching license is required.

Teaching is however something you must like, or you will hate every day of it. Working as a chef might be a good alternative.

I taught catering for years so teaching English can't be that different can it ?

I didn't think a farang could be a chef in Thailand?

• Like 1

With a business in the name of your wife and you as minor share holder it should not be too difficult. Many people set up their own business, but as a foreigner you can only have not more than 49% of the shares in the company and you will need a few Thai employees to allow a work permit for yourself.

How difficult would it be to set up my own business teaching English and food studies, Falang food techniques.

who will u teach?

unless u speak Thai how will u teach Food studies

I would say many magor hotel have a farang chef

Teaching English is NOT easy and not for everyone, if u wish go down that route get a tefl degree at least

Agree as to skip the house

BUT do buy a used car, makes living in Thailand so much better. 300,000 will get ur something decent

PS; that area of Thailand is Motorcycle Heaven!!!!

hundreds of trips and great places to visit, just wish they had a beach and i would move there :-)

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 2

For Your information:

The minimum salaries has been increased to 50000 Bath/month for Europeans.

http://www.doingbusinessthailand.com/blog-thailand/doing-business-in-thailand/thailand-visa-and-work-permit/thailand-work-permit/work-permit-minimum-wages-applicable-to-foreign-workers.html

My attorney has confirmed this. wai.gif

So I guess the 400K limit in the bank will also be increased soon.

(Hope not)

Edited by Muggi1968

For Your information:

The minimum salaries has been increased to 50000 Bath/month for Europeans.

http://www.doingbusinessthailand.com/blog-thailand/doing-business-in-thailand/thailand-visa-and-work-permit/thailand-work-permit/work-permit-minimum-wages-applicable-to-foreign-workers.html

My attorney has confirmed this. Posted Image

So I guess the 400K limit in the bank will also be increased soon.

(Hope not)

It has been 50,000 baht for many many years.

So your other comment is also very wrong.

Also minimum salary requirement does not apply for extensions based upon marriage.

That is for getting an extension based upon working other than teaching which also has no salary requirements.

• Like 1

Skip the car and house until you get settled in and find some work (not that easy here). Have you considered your visa and extension of stay options. Unless you can prove 40k baht income or can put 400k baht in the bank to get an extension you will be making trips to the border every 90 days using a multiple entry non immigrant O visa. You can teach english without a degree but you would not be able to get a teachers license that is required to get a work permit.

Excellent advice, but may I state that where teaching is concerned. As an ex teacher with 3 years experience, and no degree, I did have a work permit, but never a teachers licence, but I have a TEFL, which you really would need without a degree. Do not expect to find an English teaching easily, there are Philipino teachers with degrees who are good teachers, and they will work for less than you, that is why I am not teaching now. but as an experienced Chef, I don't think so as you cannot do a job which a Thai can do, but maybe another poster can tell you if you can work as a Chef in a Farang restaurant.

Skip the car and house until you get settled in and find some work (not that easy here).Have you considered your visa and extension of stay options. Unless you can prove 40k baht income or can put 400k baht in the bank to get an extension you will be making trips to the border every 90 days using a multiple entry non immigrant O visa.You can teach english without a degree but you would not be able to get a teachers license that is required to get a work permit.

400k not a problem.

I don't understand what you mean about teaching, if I teach English but can't get a permit then I can't teach English ?

There are teachers working without work permits up in the sticks, but do not even think about that as you risk getting deported.

Looking to live in Phayao northern Thailand so Chiang Rai area or surround.

I work in retail management but I am a chef originally.

Savings are enough to build a house and get a car so basic set up money and a few pounds to get started.

Pounds...... not Euros?

Have you tried living in this rural area before... it is a major change in lifestyle and also you will deny the children an education.

As a chef, you might get work in the tourist areas......Phayao isn't.

Don't build the house yet...... a frequent mistake, rent for a few years.

• Like 1

Airlines put restriction on pregnant women travelling. If you plan to travel before the baby is born then check with the airlines before booking.

You plan to live around Phayao Chiang Rai. Do not forget that the air quality is poor March to May.

Hi

I would recommend that you consider having you new baby get a Thai citizenship. You will need to contact the embassy in your country and ask what you have to do to get dual citizenship for your new child. It will make it easier if and when you move to Thailand.

God bless and good luck.

Dave B.

I do not consider internet or Cable TV expensive. Internet is only 900B/month, cheap by western standards & we have True Vision TV which is 1500/mth, again not expenseve (but although it has many channels it is preety crappy).

We have just done the opposite to you as in my opinion bringing a child up in Thailand is not a positive.

Some people fall on their feet, most don't, and then some just waste their savings going home bitter.

A language teacher will likely earn around 30k per month which for a family of four.....

Our house hold budget was twice that and I still dipped int money allocated to other areas.

If you have a good job and your wife is working then I would be reluctant to move. My wife is now earning $20 an hour in Australia or about $3200 a month. She is now saving 70-000 - 80-000 a month so is over the moon.

• Like 1

Please be aware that you can get a Non-O based on your marriage easily in your country at a Thai consulate. (Never at the Thai embassy).

I'd reckon to come with a one year visa, travel around to see where you'd like to live and check your options. Don't do the mistake to build a house, or buying a car.

There're schools who might hire you without a degree. Nothing is impossible here. Good luck.-wai2.gif

• Like 1

Do an online TEF course. Best time for new contract is when term starts next year. Check out Ajarn website. Don't buy, rent till you are established. Many Irish are teachers worldwide. good luck

I've been told that online TEFL or TESL courses no longer qualify. Chiang Mai Uni has stopped offering their online course for that reason.

It now must be a classroom TEFL or TESL course. But agreed, if no degree at least that would help.

Absolutely agree with renting for a while.

• Like 1