Dunkin' Donuts criticized for 'racist' ad campaign

NCC1701A

Dunkin' Donuts should immediately withdraw this ad, publicly apologize to those it's offended and ensure this never happens again.

I suspect they're going to have to search for a long time before they find the people in Thailand (the Thai's) who've been offended by it.

• Like 1

I'm American and very much anti-racist and I really don't find anything wrong with the ad. I understand the racial issue of "blackface" in the American context, but here in Thailand and seeing this specific ad, I see absolutely NOTHING that relates to that. I don't even see this as blackface. It's more like a style/graphic design thing.

The ad IS rather bizarre. But I reckon bizarre often works in marketing campaigns. I actually think for Thailand, it is a GOOD ad.

There is plenty of REAL STUFF to be legitimately offended by. This ain't that.

I will admit I can't see that ad running in the American market but is anyone even trying to sell CHARCOAL donuts there?

Edited by Jingthing

I find that the ad is quite bold in the fact that it is advertising a (artificially) dark skinned model that is pretty. Normally dark skin goes with with being awkward, dumb, ugly, and low class, in Thai media that is. So good for Dunkin Donuts for breaking out of the norms.

Now they need a little help in naming their products: Charcoal Donut???

• Like 1

Dunkin' Donuts should immediately withdraw this ad, publicly apologize to those it's offended and ensure this never happens again.

I suspect they're going to have to search for a long time before they find the people in Thailand (the Thai's) who've been offended by it.

Black...... I mean african....... ppl?

White guilt cos of slavery and asian/thai guilty cos asians are easily bullied?

I find that the ad is quite bold in the fact that it is advertising a (artificially) dark skinned model that is pretty. Normally dark skin goes with with being awkward, dumb, ugly, and low class, in Thai media that is. So good for Dunkin Donuts for breaking out of the norms.

Key thing u need to note: Dunkin donuts isn't a thai company but american so you need to wait for a thai company to do something similar before commenting.

Key thing u need to note: Dunkin donuts isn't a thai company but american so you need to wait for a thai company to do something similar before commenting.

DD Thailand is acts independently from DD USA, as stated in the news item.