Loan sharks attack Bangkok home of debtor over failed payments

webfact

Loan sharks attack home of debtor over failed payments
The Nation

30213803-01_big.jpg

Two men injured in apparent aggressive reaction to two missed instalments

BANGKOK: -- Bang Khen police in Bangkok were searching for a group of men, thought to be working for loan sharks, who attacked a borrower's home in Sai Mai district late on Thursday and wounded two people in the process for failure to repay a high-interest loan.

The group was led by a man known as "Keng" from the neighbouring precinct of Sai Mai, said Bang Khen police chief Pol Colonel Chayut Marayart.

He said evidence was being gathered to secure arrest warrants for the attackers, whose vicious attack was caught on surveillance cameras, broadcast on television and distributed via social-media sites.

Two men living in the house were knifed and beaten by the attackers - all armed with machetes and metal pipes and seen arriving in a pickup truck.

A home-made bomb was thrown into the house before they raided the compound and smashed belongings, including three motorcycles. The men then fled.

30213803-02_big.jpg

The unnamed borrower, a dessert vendor, said she took out a Bt20,000 loan with an agreement to pay back Bt24,000 at Bt1,000 per day for 24 days. The loan included the illegally high interest of Bt4,000. However, she missed payments for two days after she needed money for the treatment of her sick mother.

The borrower said a text message was sent to her mobile phone from a loan-shark member saying "Do you dare me?" about one hour before the attack.

The two victims were the borrower's husband and an adult relative, who are among five residents living at the borrower's residence.

Justice Minister Chaikasem Nitisiri said he had ordered the Department of Special Investigation and the Anti-Money-Laundering Office to start taking action through a parallel investigation with Bang Khen police.

The Rights and Liberties Protection Department said yesterday that it would also help the borrower's family with the case.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-08-31

Thugs think like thugs, destroying homes and properties just makes it harder for the person to repay, a smart thug would say,no problem skip 2 payments i add 500B for every day skipped...very sure payment would resume, secondly.why damage the motorbikes? rather take them with you and hold them as collateral in case of default, any way, i am not a thug,so just guessing here.

Agree, but no brains no gain thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Thugs think like thugs, destroying homes and properties just makes it harder for the person to repay, a smart thug would say,no problem skip 2 payments i add 500B for every day skipped...very sure payment would resume, secondly.why damage the motorbikes? rather take them with you and hold them as collateral in case of default, any way, i am not a thug,so just guessing here.

and by overstepping the mark the police are involved now plus it was all over the news yesterday.

I think it was Thaksin who lead a police campaign to get rid of all the small Indian moneylenders in thailand years ago. These Indian moneylenders provided a means for poor thai people who had no connections with the banks who only lend to thai chinese. Though these Indian moneylenders charged a high interests, they were very accommodating and never resorted to violence. Thaksin created a vacuum that got the local thai chinese mafia into the game and these people are extremely violent as they like the Democrats, the Amnart and also rest of the Thai Chinese think that they own the country and can do wahtever they want.

What Thaksin did was the program of : Nueng moo bann Nueng lan baht, (one village one million bath) low interest loans for people to start a small business and end the lone sharks strong hold over poor people,

I could never explain to the wife the reason people committed crimes.( I just arrested them.) All logic and sound principals are stripped away to selfish and self righteousness. Ego verses ability. I never underestimate anyone anywhere anytime.

I think it was Thaksin who lead a police campaign to get rid of all the small Indian moneylenders in thailand years ago. These Indian moneylenders provided a means for poor thai people who had no connections with the banks who only lend to thai chinese. Though these Indian moneylenders charged a high interests, they were very accommodating and never resorted to violence. Thaksin created a vacuum that got the local thai chinese mafia into the game and these people are extremely violent as they like the Democrats, the Amnart and also rest of the Thai Chinese think that they own the country and can do wahtever they want.

What Thaksin did was the program of : Nueng moo bann Nueng lan baht, (one village one million bath) low interest loans for people to start a small business and end the lone sharks strong hold over poor people,

Seems like it worked brilliantly.

• Like 1

Good thinking.

I would be honored to break knees for you, boss.

Anything else, boss? Coffee, black? Sure thing, boss.

• Like 1

Local Thai Chinese mafia are extremely violent because they like the Democrats???????? blink.png

Your credibility just dropped to the absolute minimum.

And why the dislike of Thai Chinese?? Most of the Thai Chinese I know are very decent people.

Bang Khen police in Bangkok were searching for a group of men, thought to be working for loan sharks, who attacked a borrower's home in Sai Mai district late on Thursday and wounded two people in the process for failure to repay a high-interest loan.

Of course the first step would be to pick up the phone, check with their mates if it wasn't their minions doing the deed, if not, the regular snail passed investigation may proceed.

the Amnart and also rest of the Thai Chinese think that they own the country and can do wahtever they want.

Speaking of Thaksin, you have just descibed him to a T

If you could, could you provide any data to prove that they don't own the country?

This is a sad story, but such is the activity of loan sharks - intimidation.
In our area the daily collection was done by two big guys wearing heavy jackets that made them look bigger still - cruising to homes on a high HP motorcycle. Business must be good. Now they have a shiny new chrome wheel black truck - again higher HP... while the homes they visit are still the small, plain wooden structures of the poorest.
I dearly wish the police would step in - and their not doing so implies connections there too. Everyone knows the loan shark's activity and the vehicle on sight, yet no individual person, myself included, dares speak up.

• Like 1

I guess you are missing a bit of history, Big T and his family are Thai Chinese from Chiang Mai area.

In our area the daily collection was done by two big guys wearing heavy jackets that made them look bigger still - cruising to homes on a high HP motorcycle. Business must be good. Now they have a shiny new chrome wheel black truck - again higher HP... while the homes they visit are still the small, plain wooden structures of the poorest.

I dearly wish the police would step in - and their not doing so implies connections there too. Everyone knows the loan shark's activity and the vehicle on sight, yet no individual person, myself included, dares speak up.

Film them and post it online for the world to see. That is your power..thumbsup.gif

Speaking up won't do anything. I posted in another thread about this not so long ago.

We had one of the collection guys wanting to drop off their payment to our police neighbour but he wasn't home. He asked our maid if she would pass the money on once the cop arrived home.

The maid declined but had a chat with the collection guy. He told her the collection guys make payments to the local cops allowing them to operate freely in that police district.

So there you have it...straight from the horses mouth so to speak.

Edited by Farma
  • Like 1

My ex-wife's (Japanese) mother, after her divorce, got involved with the wrong crowd.

She got hooked up with some guy who was a "I gonna breaka your knees" Yakuza.

Yakuza are not mafia. They are nothing more then thugs, mafia wanna be's.

Mafia hire these thugs out to do their dirty work.

Real Japanese Mafia, Boryokudan, wear hand tailored suits and send their kids to Harvard and Cambridge.

Anyways, back to my point, they were sent out to intimidate some guy who did not pay on time.

Instead of acquiring the guys property, like dudu said up above, they proceeded to break windows, other things and even stabbed the poor guy.

Ends up, the boyfriend gets sent to jail and ex-mother-in-law hooks up with some other loser, and boy do I have another story about that.

BTW, these idiots had missing finger digits. That's how stupid they are.

They don't cut the whole finger off at one time. For each mistake you make, you cut off a section of your finger.

That's three chops per finger. When one finger is gone, you go the the next one.

"i am not a thug,so just guessing here."

You seem to have the potensial - ?

This loan sharing is a much bigger issue. People lose their properties through Sale with Right of Redemption charging 3% to 4% per month and openly admit it in court yet for some reason the courts do not punish them. It is against the law and yet they get away with it.

What is wrong with the law here?

What a load of rubbish! The Indian moneylenders were never got rid of. The number of Indian money lenders in my area of Bangkok alone has increased from 2 to 7 since the so called clamp down. They are still here, I know most of them to talk to. You are right that they do not resort to violence, but they are rather persistent. The first two I mentioned have been here 20 years.

What a load of rubbish! The Indian moneylenders were never got rid of. The number of Indian money lenders in my area of Bangkok alone has increased from 2 to 7 since the so called clamp down. They are still here, I know most of them to talk to. You are right that they do not resort to violence, but they are rather persistent. The first two I mentioned have been here 20 years.

You're not very clear about which part of his post is "rubbish".

Further more, you also contradict yourself by claiming his post is rubbish (still yet to show which part) then saying his is right "that they do not resort to violence".

It's possible his mistake lies in the number of lenders that were "got rid of", seeing that the campaign was years ago, hence the population of lenders may have increased.

Now, on the other side of things, you make a claim to have personal experience, "I know most of them to talk to", which in fact is nothing more than hearsay, which gives room for the ArianicAristocrat to call your claim to fame, "rubbish".