so much for saving money with hotels.com

hermespan

I go to book room and both my android and iphone have memories of elephants and seem unable to forget that three hours ago I wanted TWO rooms. unable to figure out how to change it to ONE and not wanting to be billed for two, I try calling HQ. in Singapore. Kerps hanging up on both Skype and DTAC service. OK, so I am out of credit on DTAC cellphone. Skype should still work as I have data credit.

Grr, computers...

try Agoda. Same bs.

'We are having technical difficulties'

Call this number (in UK)

Call on Skype. I get a machine telling my to enter my booking number. Uh, if I *had* a booking number I wouldn't be going through this!

Go to our website.

so much fir customer service.

I have just spent 90 minutes trying yo book a room got just ONE guest. As the other guest checks on 1 day earlier I have to do this twice . website isn 't set up for such subtleties.

Go to yet another website - bookings.com

Price is $13 higher.

back to hotels.com... Oops, it has forgotten that it is one room one adult, not two. Grrr.

I correct it and...

fill on card info NFG, stuck, won't move

reload page

wrong deal, wanted with breakfast

start over

webpage not available

FIVE times later it works though now no options of two or one bed

check if do NOT want spam. ( sneaky)

Immediate confirmation by mobile phone. Unlike airline not required to give residential address associated with card. Hmmm

The weirdness continues.,.

Having just spent three precious hours of my life to save $30 a night (I am too exhausted to calculate - something like that a 25% discount) I walk over to the reception and check in.

A Chinese man asks if the staff can help him book online. Not possible and I sure don't blame them!

But two anomalies. Neither to my mobile nor to my email do I get what I am expecting - an invoice itemizing what I have just purchased. And something is amiss.... Though I purchased in two separate transactions 4 + 5 nights in exactly the same type of room and the same package, that showed the same price The one more night more (tonight) total works out to THB1000 more. What the heck? I ask to see his record. Nope, internal document. Contact wherever you booked it.

wrong. Iphone hides complete messages.

Full receipts were sent but failed to mention to what credit card (they could have blocked out parts for security)

My math wasn't quite right but still something strange and non transparent us going on here. I suspect hidden charges by the hotel or Hotel.com

Yes, both purchases of rooms charged the same room rate BUT...

the 4-nighter charged more in taxes and fees per night. There is a THB406 difference. What, is there a Saturday surcharge? Strangely Hotels.com did not send me a breakdown of taxes and fees except to mention that there is a 7% tax and 10% service charge, but failed to mention if the tax is on the service charge (like compound interest)

actually not true.

most case a direct contact/booking with the hotel will result higher price.

however, as for the problem at hand:

it really doesnt matter if 1 guest shows up later...

in fact i routinely book room for 2, even if i travel alone, as long as it is the same price.

the reason: some hotel has tiny single rooms vs. double room...for the same cost, it would be insane to go for a shoebox. ( some hotel has use the same room for both single and double; but they wont often mention it on the page, then no problem).

less traveller can show up, just at chack in clear that if there is some local tax/add on cost, that for the time being you are by yourself, and pay those extras for 1 guest only.

actually not true.

in fact i routinely book room for 2, even if i travel alone, as long as it is the same price.

the reason: some hotel has tiny single rooms vs. double room...for the same cost, it would be insane to go for a shoebox. ( some hotel has use the same room for both single and double; but they wont often mention it on the page, then no problem).

less traveller can show up, just at chack in clear that if there is some local tax/add on cost, that for the time being you are by yourself, and pay those extras for 1 guest only.

Sorry but it my experience it is true. Using a live booking I have just made. Mid Range Hotel was 315 a night Baht cheaper than Agoda and all that lot.

actually not true.

Sorry but it my experience it is true. Using a live booking I have just made. Mid Range Hotel was 315 a night Baht cheaper than Agoda and all that lot.

Sure that happens, but in general: booking via bookingsite will be cheaper, although hotel might be willing to match the price. Walk in rates tend to be (considerably) higher than the booking sites.

Hotels sign a contract with the booking sites, part of that contract is that they will not offer below their recommended price. But the booking site can and will offer prices below that recommended price. That means that by matching and especially going below the booking site prices the hotel risks getting kicked out of the site.

Edited by stevenl

whistling.gif I use Agoda.

I once made a mistake and booked the wrong month (I wasn't paying attention and booked a room for September instead of July).

After I made the mistaken booking I was able to contact Agoda (by computer) and asked them to cancel my September booking.

Received an email back from them saying they would take steps to cancel my September booking. There was a small fee, can't remember exactly how much, but not really excessive, just a service fee.

And yes, Agoda also works out of the U.K.

The email told me they would cancel the reservation I made and refund the balance for my reservation to my ATM/debit card (I used my U.S. ATM/debit card to pay for the mistaken booking).

Agoda told me it might take up to 2 weeks to refund my payment.

Actually I was pleasantly surprised to see a credit from Agoda into my U.S. bank in only about 3 days after my email to Agoda.

I believe the service fee for Agoda to refund my money was something like 5 pounds.... not that much considering I was in Bangkok the whole time and the whole affair was handled by emails ... I never had to actually call Agoda by telephone from Thailand.

It was my stupid mistake in the first place .... all in all, I am reasonably happy with Agodas service taking care of it.

whistling.gif

• Like 1

whistling.gif My experience is different.

I just left a hotel about a week ago.

Booking that hotel with Agoda the room was about 900 Baht per day.

Add a 10% tax and an about 2% fee for that room to the quoted 900 Baht ,,, roughly 1000 baht per day from booking with Agoda.

I extended my stay one day paying cash directly to the hotel for that same room for one more day.

I had to pay 1400 baht for that same room paying cash (Thai Baht) directly to the hotel. That is the walk-in rate for that hotel for walk-in customers.

rolleyes.gif

wrong. Iphone hides complete messages.

Full receipts were sent but failed to mention to what credit card (they could have blocked out parts for security)

My math wasn't quite right but still something strange and non transparent us going on here. I suspect hidden charges by the hotel or Hotel.com

Yes, both purchases of rooms charged the same room rate BUT...

the 4-nighter charged more in taxes and fees per night. There is a THB406 difference. What, is there a Saturday surcharge? Strangely Hotels.com did not send me a breakdown of taxes and fees except to mention that there is a 7% tax and 10% service charge, but failed to mention if the tax is on the service charge (like compound interest)

it might be worth checking out the prices on the hotel's own website, and booking through that.

• Like 1

I booked thru agoda months ahead for 6 nites @ vietnam village resort, Hoi Ann vietnam, about $55 Aus a nite, when I checked in the resort had a big banner out the front LOW SEASON 50% OFF, surely a company like agoda would know season times for different areas. I will take advice and compare with hotel direct in future.

songhklasidthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

I've always been a big fan of Agoda, though I do wish they would give you the total price up front, like Booking dot com.

I've just booked a hotel in London for a couple of nights and tried that Hotels Combined, I was able to book my preferred hotel for 17,000 Baht, against the 26,000 quoted by Agoda and the 36,000 by the hotel.

I have never found a hotel that has been willing or able to beat, or even match, the price offered by an agent when I've pitched up.

I have used a smart phone or tablet in reception to get a better price a number of times.

I booked thru agoda months ahead for 6 nites @ vietnam village resort, Hoi Ann vietnam, about $55 Aus a nite, when I checked in the resort had a big banner out the front LOW SEASON 50% OFF, surely a company like agoda would know season times for different areas. I will take advice and compare with hotel direct in future.

Agoda and the others get their pricing information from the hotels.

Inform Agoda about this, this probably is a breach of contract between the hotel and Agoda.

I have used Agoda a number of times. It has worked out fine for me. But I always do check the hotels ratings/comments on Tripadvisor and check the hotel's own website. Yes, sometimes the hotel's website will have specials and sometimes their rates are higher than Agoda and they will not match Agoda's price. I too have sat down in a hotel lobby and booked my room via a booking site and returned to the counter to check in at a cheaper rate than the hotel would give me.

Look at a comparison site like www.trivago.co.uk/

The contact the hotel and see if they'll match the price.

Sometimes they will, sometimes they won't.

Sometimes by booking directly with the hotel you have a better chance of a room upgrade wink.png

RAZZ

Agoda and the others get their pricing information from the hotels.

Inform Agoda about this, this probably is a breach of contract between the hotel and Agoda.

I e-mail them several times, & threatened to go to their office in BKK, no reply, and as usual, once in BKK, got sidetracked with social events, last chance shopping etc, but now I do more comparing, even with hotel direct.

songhklasid

That might be so for the odd, small budget place once in a while, but go to the four/five stars and savings can be significant.

As stated, the whole thing is set-up so that the consolidators will always be lower priced... there is less administrative hassle for the hotel in question for a start. People will roll in without them lifting a finger, plus easy payment.

That might be so for the odd, small budget place once in a while, but go to the four/five stars and savings can be significant.

As stated, the whole thing is set-up so that the consolidators will always be lower priced... there is less administrative hassle for the hotel in question for a start. People will roll in without them lifting a finger, plus easy payment.

Not entirely true, if it were, hotels "Best Rate Guarantees" would be pointless.. Easy payment? Ever worked in the accounts receivable section of a hotel? Far from a walk in the park dealing with payments from TA's, I can assure you...