Thai monk arrested for drug abuse in graveyard

webfact

Monk Arrested For Drug Abuse In Graveyard

By Khaosod English

mo.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A monk has been arrested in Nongkhai Province after the locals found him taking illegal drugs inside the temple cemetery′s restroom.

Mr. Sorasart Nuengmatsha, head of local security in Khuinagkhao Village, Mueng District, said he was alerted by fellow villagers about the strange behaviour of Pra Witthaya Pholyano, 40, after he was seen walking drunk in the village and damaging several vehicles.

Mr. Sorasart then sought out the monk. He eventually found Pra Witthaya taking drugs in the graveyard′s restroom, just behind a local temple. Police soon arrived to take the monk into custody.

Pra Witthaya said he was visiting his fellow monk in the Ban Nong Song Hong temple, and was about to leave town but it started raining so he took shelter in the graveyard.

There, the monk said, he met local teenagers who advised him how to contact the drug dealer and successfully bought the drug for 250 baht. He admitted to taking drugs to pass time till it stops raining and his outfits are dry, but insisted he never left the restroom to beat up anyone′s car.

Pra Witthaya was eventually defrocked and charged with drug abuse.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNM09EQXpNamcwTXc9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-09-02

• Like 1

He took drugs to pass the time until it stopped raining and he just happened to have the drugs with him as he bought them before the rain started. That's thinking ahead and literally putting something away for a rainy day.

Buddhism is yet another Thai institution that's losing it's right to the respect given to it. Many, many Buddhists do good but headlines like this, the fugitive ex-monk and so so really scuppers their efforts.

And the newspaper complicity.

Seems to me there are some people who see being a monk as an easy option to cover up their errant ways! Every mother wants their son to do the monk thing and I hope that these rogue monks don't change that. It's getting to the stage that monks are alomst on a level with the police for attracting bad press. Too bad really.

What a scruffy bunch. i have seen car park and condo security far better dressed than this crew.

I suggest you make a big sign.....place it around there neck's and then send them undercover again.

Oh don't forget to spell...... UCA DRUGSQUAD NK....the right way ok.

• Like 1

This should be a timely reminder to us that the scourge of drugs is ever-present and effects everyone regardless of race creed colour or position in society. The misery of drug abuse, addiction and the criminal component that necessarily accompanies drugs makes us all vulnerable to its effects, innocent bystander or otherwise. There but for the grace of god go us all. I hope the poor soul finds some peace.

Edited by metisdead
Unnecessary usage of bold font removed.

Monks flying private jets, stealing cars and now also doing drugs... Can't wait to see whats next. :-) Maybe a monk winning the World Poker Tour?...

These guys are starting to make rock and movie stars look like Saints.

Edited by btwretail

There, the monk said, he met local teenagers who advised him how to contact the drug dealer and successfully bought the drug for 250 baht.

I thought monks can't have more than 10 baht cash on them, some sort of monk rule - maybe I'm wrong?

I don't think the Buddha used Baht - he wasn't Thai wink.png

Monks are supposed to live without money and materials possessions beyond a few necessities but Thai monks seem to have lost their monk guidebook unfortunately

Mr. Sorasart Nuengmatsha, head of local security in Khuinagkhao Village, Mueng District, said he was alerted by fellow villagers about the strange behaviour of Pra Witthaya Pholyano, 40, after he was seen walking drunk in the village and damaging several vehicles, because his application for a Lear Jet was denied.-giggle.gifw00t.gif

• Like 1

Monks flying private jets, stealing cars and now also doing drugs... Can't wait to see whats next. :-) Maybe a monk winning the World Poker Tour?...

These guys are starting to make rock and movie stars look like Saints.

There's one in Burma who is a main instigator in all the killings and unrest with the Rohingya.

He took drugs to pass the time until it stopped raining and he just happened to have the drugs with him as he bought them before the rain started. That's thinking ahead and literally putting something away for a rainy day.

Buddhism is yet another Thai institution that's losing it's right to the respect given to it. Many, many Buddhists do good but headlines like this, the fugitive ex-monk and so so really scuppers their efforts.

How exactly is Buddhism losing it's right to be respected? How can you judge an entire religion based on the actions of one monk?

How exactly is Buddhism losing it's right to be respected? How can you judge an entire religion based on the actions of one monk?

I didn't, try reading my post correctly.

So this guy gets done for a stick of weed, or some DreaMTimemix, getting a bit weird.

A real menace to society has been taken off the streets.

But Sukphol is still free months after making it into newspapers all around the world.

Taking advantage of the gullible and easily lead like did is a much worse crime (in my opinion) then what this unfortunate Monk has been caught for.

Credit where credit is due, at least he wasn't shagging a dog tied to a tree!

The monks at one of the temples in my village were routed out one night by the local villagers, they were having a booze up, KTV with some local hookers! Thet were lucky they were not lynched!

Edited by Briandajew