DIY make your own sausage stuffer!

kikoman

Turkleton, thanks for the recipe, I will try it, always try different recipes to test the sausage.

Also at the same shops your wife and I told you about, they have extra grinding plates for sale, I do not remember the price but they were not expensive. You have to ask the store clerk for them, as in Nakhon Sawan the plates are in a drawer behind the check out counter.

I included the information in case you were interested .

Notmyself Thanks for the tip on sharpening the blades.

Cheers:wai2.gif

Edited by kikoman

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They look good.

Can you post the recipe please?

Homemade German Sausage

1.0 kg pork belly,

1.0 kg of pork shoulder

2 egg whites, (or 100-150ml Soda water)

Spices per kg meat:

18 gram salt,

3 gram white pepper ,

2 gram nutmeg

2 gram Coriander seeds (which I don't like, so I didn't use it)

1-2 garlic clove (which I forgot for some reason..mad.gif.pagespeed.ce.z6RtN005qs.gif )

Grind the meat, add all the spices and Soda (or eggs) to it, than knead it thoroughly until it feels slightly sticky

This is very important for the consistency. (the Soda water also results in a better bond and replaces the eggs).

Fill the meat in the casings and than (alternatively) preserve the sausages in 75° CELSIUS hot water (with soup stock) for ~30 minutes. DO NOT BOILING!

If you don't intend to preserve them, you can reach a nice "red color" by replacing a part (or even all) of the salt, with curing salt.

Thank you kindly for the recipe.

What with your German sausage and Kikomans Polish sausage I can see that I am going to have to undo the puzzle of the sausage skins from Makro before I can go much further.

That will be an exciting day for me.

I make my own bacon and ham etc and I had a problem explaining both to the lady who sells por and also to my wife which cut I want.

Yhe whole leg of pork is not usually sold in the market and a cut for roast pork is hard to find too.

Now I print out these posters and tell my wife the cuts and amount I need and shows the paper to the pork lady who orders it from her supplier and we get a call when it is ready for collection.

post-5614-0-51652700-1378449499_thumb.gi

post-5614-0-79830300-1378449470_thumb.jp

post-5614-0-56786200-1378449481_thumb.jp

post-5614-0-43840900-1378449489_thumb.jp

Also a handy thing to know that could help is this one too.

Lard and gelatin.doc

• Like 1

Also at the same shops your wife and I told you about, they have extra grinding plates for sale, I do not remember the price but they were not expensive. You have to ask the store clerk for them, as in Nakhon Sawan the plates are in a drawer behind the check out counter.

shops that sell street vendors appliances

Unfortunately, neither I nor my wife was able to find such a shop in Pattaya.

It will definitely exist, somewhere.

So, if somebody knows a location in Pattaya, please tell us.

@kikoman

could you post a photo of the shop's front (name), so that I get an idea, for what I have to look, when riding around.

Usually, shops selling the same stuff, are looking very similar here.

I make my own bacon and ham etc and I had a problem explaining both to the lady who sells por and also to my wife which cut I want.

Yhe whole leg of pork is not usually sold in the market and a cut for roast pork is hard to find too.

Makro is relatively inflexible, if you want a special piece or "cut".

I asked for a piece of neck with fat/skin, for a "German Schweinebraten"

post-158247-0-65871200-1378458367_thumb.

post-158247-0-04972300-1378458740_thumb.

Impossible (nooo häääp), only main stream "muu"

At least, I've printed this picture and ordered at my local fresh market.

Edited by Turkleton

I live about 55 Kilometers away from Nakhon Sawan and go on a monthly shopping trip once a month around the 20th of the month, that is a couple of weeks away but I will take a picture for you when I go. They usually have a display of grinders, stoves, ice shavers, etc. out front,

Sorry that all the info I can give you at the moment.Until my monthly shopping trip to the big city.

Billd766, That is also what my wife does we have the grocery truck pass our house daily and my wife calls her up the night before and places an order. The next day early in the morning they stop at the house with the meat we ordered, works great for us get the cuts of pork we want and it is brought to our home.

I live about 55 Kilometers away from Nakhon Sawan and go on a monthly shopping trip once a month around the 20th of the month, that is a couple of weeks away but I will take a picture for you when I go. They usually have a display of grinders, stoves, ice shavers, etc. out front,

Sorry that all the info I can give you at the moment.Until my monthly shopping trip to the big city.

Billd766, That is also what my wife does we have the grocery truck pass our house daily and my wife calls her up the night before and places an order. The next day early in the morning they stop at the house with the meat we ordered, works great for us get the cuts of pork we want and it is brought to our home.

This is one of the great things about living in rural Thailand. The food cars and the friendly helpful people.

To get good beef my wife rings up the beef lady in the bigger village and orders what I want then there is usually a delay until they kill a cow.

The upside of that is that the beef hasn't been hanging around that long.

I order my pork from the local vendor that sells it in the market about 10 clicks from my house. I like bone in pork chops and just tell him how many ribs I want and get the whole piece, belly and all. He then butchers it while I wait to my liking. He normally kills 2-3 pigs every afternoon so its not aged. I alwys ask for the smallest one avaialble rather than get a hog that is as old as me.

We do the same that is an advantage of living in rural Thailand, in another village there is a man that kills beef every weekend to sell,my wife calls in the order and on the week end we go the 10 kilometers to pick up our order.

Any cut we want bone in or boneless, tenderloin or tripe, I do not eat much beef anymore, but those great little steaks the wife buys at Makro.

Also if anyone knows where raw milk is sold around Nakhon Sawan, please let me know.

I took some photos of my George Foreman meat grinder and sausage stuffer and down loaded the missing handbook and recipe books.

Some of the recipes look interesting but the are in a PDF file and I am typing them out again in MSword.doc but it takes time and I do like to have a life away from my computer at times.

The only problem I have had in over 4 years was that the original plastic food pusher got chewed up but I replaced it with a wooden one from a pok pok set trimmed to fit.

post-5614-0-89331300-1378607651_thumb.jp

post-5614-0-66740700-1378607665_thumb.jp

post-5614-0-41719900-1378607676_thumb.jp

post-5614-0-20338700-1378607688_thumb.jp

post-5614-0-05156600-1378607702_thumb.jp

post-5614-0-42586600-1378607716_thumb.jp

post-5614-0-85676300-1378607729_thumb.jp

post-5614-0-77910400-1378607745_thumb.jp

post-5614-0-16088000-1378607761_thumb.jp

post-158247-0-46595000-1378648710_thumb.

yepp, that's what I've mentioned before.

A plastic adapter will do the "stuffing job", no need to drill holes into a hardened steel plate...smile.png

I wish, I could easily bring my precision lathe from home to Thailand....

Edited by Turkleton

The stuffer attachment is inexpensive and available in most larger towns and cities, at shops that sell street vendors appliances, I do not remember the price but it was not to much. If you download a copy of the picture and take it along with you, also need the model #, mine is a #10.

attachicon.gif.pagespeed.ce.eFBhf2OPKe.gstuffer.JPGattachicon.gif.pagespeed.ce.eFBhf2OPKe.gIMG_0994.JPG

Cheers:wai2.gif.pagespeed.ce.goigDuXn4X.gif alt=wai2.gif width=20 height=20>

Theese are around th 200-250 Baht mark from makro in pattaya, i use mine all the time, where did you get the sauage skins from mate ? ,

I've seen those Makro hand grinders before. The shop that sells them is called Champ. They seem to have branches attached to most of the larger Makro stores.

i have the large one of those, it's a hard job you need 3 hands to work it , biggrin.png i'm looking for an electric Mincer/grinder any idea where i can get one at a good price.in pattaya.

Cheersthumbsup.gif

Another source of sausage skins is the local markets. There's usually someone there that supplies the local vendors with stuff. failing that you could try asking one of the vendors who sells sausages where they get theirs from.

Boyce,

I'm pretty sure Champ sell an electric version.

Boyce,

I buy my Sausage skins at Makro, meat department freezer section, when I lived in Sattahip the closes Makro was in Rayong,

I posted on another thread how I motorized my manual meat grinder, took off the wing nut that hold the handle on found a bolt that fit into the rotor, cut off the head of the bolt and hook it up to my Black and Decker drill motor.

post-91962-0-02452200-1378967787_thumb.jpost-91962-0-69625000-1378967850_thumb.j

Most of the electric meat grinders are a lot more expensive here in Thailand, then back in the old country.

• Like 2

Boyce,

I buy my Sausage skins at Makro, meat department freezer section, when I lived in Sattahip the closes Makro was in Rayong,

I posted on another thread how I motorized my manual meat grinder, took off the wing nut that hold the handle on found a bolt that fit into the rotor, cut off the head of the bolt and hook it up to my Black and Decker drill motor.

attachicon.gif#1.JPGattachicon.gif#4.JPG

Most of the electric meat grinders are a lot more expensive here in Thailand, then back in the old country.

Cheers:wai2.gif alt=wai2.gif>

Thanks for your reply, great stuff mate..clap2.gif

i use makro sausage skins i find them ok..

How big is your electric bill LOL...cheesy.gif

i have the large one of those, it's a hard job you need 3 hands to work it , biggrin.png i'm looking for an electric Mincer/grinder any idea where i can get one at a good price.in pattaya.

Found this shop today:

post-158247-0-29122700-1378975100_thumb.

loads of meat grinders, many different sizes.

Electric and manual.

They sell also spare parts and cutter plates in almost any size.

Located at Sawang-Fa road in Naklua, opposite the post-office

Google Maps

Another source of sausage skins is the local markets. There's usually someone there that supplies the local vendors with stuff. failing that you could try asking one of the vendors who sells sausages where they get theirs from.

My wife asked two pork meat vendors, who also sold "sausages", their answer was: Makro

• Like 1

Ok...at least I made my first sausages here in Thailand.

My wife, creative as she is, was able to get the "stuffing-adaptor" for my meat grinder..100 Baht xbiggrin.png.pagespeed.ic.r24L-a7U61.web alt=biggrin.png width=20 height=20>

attachicon.gif.pagespeed.ce.eFBhf2OPKe.gUnbenannt.JPG

I made two "seals" from an motocy inner tube.

I used the casings from Makro, even I find them a little bit too big in diameter (36mm), but they're selling only this size, so better than nothing

And here we go:

The sausages after stuffing:

attachicon.gif.pagespeed.ce.eFBhf2OPKe.gIMG_0721.JPG

preserving them in hot water (with Knorr stock) 30min@75° degree CELSIUS. Don't boil them!

attachicon.gif.pagespeed.ce.eFBhf2OPKe.gIMG_0723.JPG

The end product:

attachicon.gif.pagespeed.ce.eFBhf2OPKe.gIMG_0726.JPG

Why do you need to preserve them ? Why not just freeze them ?

^^
If they are preserved, you can easily refreeze them, e.g. if you've thawed to much sausages (for a party)
You can't do that, with raw meat sausages.

The sausages need less time on a barbecue/grill than raw sausages.

In this tropical climate, fresh minced meat is one of the most dangerous things, if you don't prepare it just after grinding. (Well, many vendors might think differently)

They look better, imho.

I am feeling better/safer....smile.png

• Like 1

They look good.

Can you post the recipe please?

Homemade German Sausage

1.0 kg pork belly,

1.0 kg of pork shoulder

2 egg whites, (or 100-150ml Soda water)

Spices per kg meat:

18 gram salt,

3 gram white pepper ,

2 gram nutmeg

2 gram Coriander seeds (which I don't like, so I didn't use it)

1-2 garlic clove (which I forgot for some reason..mad.gif.pagespeed.ce.z6RtN005qs.gif )

Grind the meat, add all the spices and Soda (or eggs) to it, than knead it thoroughly until it feels slightly sticky

This is very important for the consistency. (the Soda water also results in a better bond and replaces the eggs).

Fill the meat in the casings and than (alternatively) preserve the sausages in 75° CELSIUS hot water (with soup stock) for ~30 minutes. DO NOT BOILING!

If you don't intend to preserve them, you can reach a nice "red color" by replacing a part (or even all) of the salt, with curing salt.

agreed.

I recently bought some german Bratwurt somewhere, and it was nearly inedible because of too much coriander. even the dog didn't want it.